Light-O-Rama Forums

How many amps dose a ECG P2 need? (I made a dumb mistake)

canadianchristmas

Hello I was wanted to know how many amps you should give a ECG P2 I got a few strings of 5V pixels and my P2 arrived I went to test it with a 5V 6 amp power supply, anyway when I got the jumpers in place and every thing was wired, I plugged the power supply in I heard a pop sound from the P2 and smoke started coming from the case, I'm not that worried about the P2 because J1sys will hopefully send me a new one or fix it (I contacted them today) Any way I was just wondering how many amps to give it and a good power supply or power adapter plug to use? thank you.

Specs on http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p2/ are rather sketchy on the power requirements of the device...  However, they do state that the device can be powered by Passive PoE.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet , Passive PoE is capable of delivering 12.95 to 25.50 Watts.

So, it certainly seems that the power supply you're using is adequate.

I'd check the voltage levels (of the power supply), and polarity before connection to your next ECG-P2.

Specs on http://www.j1sys.com/ecg-p2/ are rather sketchy on the power requirements of the device...  However, they do state that the device can be powered by Passive PoE.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet , Passive PoE is capable of delivering 12.95 to 25.50 Watts.

So, it certainly seems that the power supply you're using is adequate.

I'd check the voltage levels (of the power supply), and polarity before connection to your next ECG-P2.

Thanks for the info I found out that the j1sys boards are rated at 1.5 amps I was giving it 5 unnecessary amps I gave it 6 amps total so I burned out the part that regulates the power and thats were the smoke came from. I ordered 2 more P2 boards and a D2 today and there sending me a extra P2 board to replace the one I broke their some Awesome people at j1sys!

Using a power supply that has the ability to supply a higher current than is needed WILL NOT damage almost any device.  You could put a 50 amp power supply on it without causing a problem.  Voltage is another issue.  If you are supposed to provide 5 volts and you give it 12 volts (for example), you might let the magic smoke out.  I am guessing that you reversed the polarity.

Using a power supply that has the ability to supply a higher current than is needed WILL NOT damage almost any device.  You could put a 50 amp power supply on it without causing a problem.  Voltage is another issue.  If you are supposed to provide 5 volts and you give it 12 volts (for example), you might let the magic smoke out.  I am guessing that you reversed the polarity.

I am very sure I got the polarity correct and am unsure exactly what I did wrong and j1sys was nice enough to send me a new board, with my new boards I'm going to connect a 12v 1a supply to and set the jumpers to get it down to 5v, and I'm going to hook the power supply that the problem happened on at the time to a volt meter to see if it was truly giving 5v out. I'm just happy j1sys sent me a replacement, there a great company  :)

I am very sure I got the polarity correct and am unsure exactly what I did wrong and j1sys was nice enough to send me a new board, with my new boards I'm going to connect a 12v 1a supply to and set the jumpers to get it down to 5v, and I'm going to hook the power supply that the problem happened on at the time to a volt meter to see if it was truly giving 5v out. I'm just happy j1sys sent me a replacement, there a great company  :)

Can you please clarify as to where and how you are reducing 12 volts to 5 volts??

Unless you can identify what the problem was and provide a solution, you are going to smoke another board.

As gracious as J1sys might be, there's not an endless supply of replacements.