Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Supply & DC Controller

WeissWelsh

Hypothetical situation: Let's say I have a CMB-16D DC Controller. Assume that I have lights hooked up that do not exceed the maximum amps per channel (4 AMPS) or maximum amps per bank (20 AMPS.)  

If I have a huge ATX power supply that is rated at 50 AMPS, can I hook up this power supply to one bank (8 channels,) even though the bank can only handle 20 AMPS? In other words, even though the power supply is 50 AMPS, can it hurt the DC board if the lights never require more than 16 AMPS?

Bob

No problem at all.  In fact I do not recommend running a power supply right up to it's ratings.  Higher failure rate that way.  In fact a couple weeks ago I replaced a power supply rated at 12 amps intermittent service and 9 amps continuous duty with a 29 amp supply for my two 16 channel DC controllers after adding some more load to it that brought my lighting load up to 8.7 amps (keep in mind that this is landscape lighting so when it goes on, it stays on for hours with little or no changes).  It was running pretty hot after I added some lights a couple weeks ago.

No problem at all.  In fact I do not recommend running a power supply right up to it's ratings.  Higher failure rate that way.  In fact a couple weeks ago I replaced a power supply rated at 12 amps intermittent service and 9 amps continuous duty with a 29 amp supply for my two 16 channel DC controllers after adding some more load to it that brought my lighting load up to 8.7 amps (keep in mind that this is landscape lighting so when it goes on, it stays on for hours with little or no changes).  It was running pretty hot after I added some lights a couple weeks ago.

Thanks so much Jim. That's exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Bob

• The topic was locked