Light-O-Rama Forums

Flood lights burning out at the same time

Lisa Star

I have an older pro series 16 channel 30amp controller connected to 12 floodlights in my yard. ( 4 sets of 3 floodlights grouped in and RGB configuration )

I have used this setup for several events throughout the years with many hours on them.

In my Halloween setup this year I noticed a red bulb out. Before I could get to it, the green one in the same electrical box went out.

In troubleshooting I switched power cords at the controller and put the lights on a different channel - using this technique because I used liquid electrical tape glue to glue the floods in for weatherproofing. They still did not light and the channels that were previously controlling the burned out bulbs now properly lit bulbs in different electrical box. So I assume it is not the controller's channels.

During this testing, the remaining green light seems to have burned out AND another three in the next electrical box burned out!! And now a seventh one just went out.

So I'm reaching out to you guys of experience for any observations! Is it possible that the bulbs are just all reaching their end-of-life at the same time (seems amazing to me given my history with regular light bulbs) or could there be something else at play here ? (Like the controller is going bad and blowing out my bulbs, or maybe a slight different location I have made the garden sprinklers now a suspect)

I'm going to continue working on a solution - maybe just bite the bullet and buy 12 new floodlights or try to convert to an LED solution - but I'll keep an eye out here to see if any of you have had similar experiences.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Overall bulb bought at the same time with the same usage usually burn out in very short time of each other.

The first thing in troubleshooting is to measure the input voltage to your controllers. Anything above 120V should be a concern. If you get more than 200 V it is best to contact an electrician to look at the circuits...

Same answer as the second part of viennaxmas - check your voltage - IMMEDIATLY.  One of the most common causes of this problem is an open neutral.  Depending on where the open is, can cause really major problems - like burn your house down.

An "open neutral" (as k6ccc says) can cause many problems, and YES, can cause an over-voltage in OTHER circuits (NOT JUST the show).

The potential to do "MUCH DAMAGE" does INDEED exist, Both for the "show" AND your home. get it checked ASAP !

Greg

Yes, I need to echo what the other two said above in regards to open neutral conditions.  I work for the local electric utility and assist customers in finding open neutral conditions....... you don't want this to happen to you!

When k6ccc said it can burn a house down, he is right!

• 1 month later...

I have been preparing for my Christmas display and have been troubleshooting this problem.   Per the feedback above, I have confirmed 120V maximum and there is not an open neutral condition.

I think in the end, there were two things happening at the same time - the bulbs were just all getting old at the same time and I had a bad triac. (so I thought)  I am trying to figure what is wrong with my controller now and I think that calls for a new thread on a different topic which I will post now.    

Thanks for your help troubleshooting the lights with me!

• The topic was locked