Light-O-Rama Forums

Media File Analyzing and Converting Each Time a Sequence is Opened

dgrant

Ok, So I'm now using 3.10.12 and see that every time I load a sequence, the software does an "Analyzing" then "Converting", all the while holding up the start of the sequence till this is completed. What I don't know is if this is going to happen during the show itself therefore holding up each show sequence. I didn't see this happening with the slightly old revisions of the software. I've carefully opened each of my sequences, one at a time, allowing this process to happen normally, then saved the sequence over itself. Yet the next time I come back and open that same sequence again, it again goes through the same process. What's going on and how do I/we resolve this? Obviously the software is doing something with the media file and all of mine are MP3's. Do I need to convert the media files to some other format?

Ok, So I'm now using 3.10.12 and see that every time I load a sequence, the software does an "Analyzing" then "Converting", all the while holding up the start of the sequence till this is completed. What I don't know is if this is going to happen during the show itself therefore holding up each show sequence. I didn't see this happening with the slightly old revisions of the software. I've carefully opened each of my sequences, one at a time, allowing this process to happen normally, then saved the sequence over itself. Yet the next time I come back and open that same sequence again, it again goes through the same process. What's going on and how do I/we resolve this? Obviously the software is doing something with the media file and all of mine are MP3's. Do I need to convert the media files to some other format?

LOR has made some changes to the processing of audio files. Over time we'll see fewer of the 'my music is out of sync' type questions coming into the forums as a result.

Just ran a quick test, doesn't look like this will have any impact on the shows running.

As Don as said, there is new media handling in the SE.  The idea is to minimize the use of external programs to format audio for use in Windows (which can be very finicky).  It also allows for a greater range of media to use things like the Beat Wizard, View Waveform, etc....

The Sequence Editor does this by creating a couple of different internal media formats.  Whenever media is needed in the SE, like for instance the first time you play a sequence, a check is made to see if these internal media files exist.  If they do not they are created, and that creation should only happen once.

Unfortunately, we can't auto-magically convert ALL audio so we do our best to always be able to play/use SOMETHING in the SE.  After we attempt a conversion, we look at all the different files that could be created and select the BEST one to use - based on your preferences and what is/was created.  If for some reason we can't find one of the internal media files, we'll attempt the conversion again - this is probably what you are seeing.

This will only effect the SE, and only the FIRST time you attempt to use a sequence's media per SE session.  You do NOT need to do anything further.

When running sequences in a show, there is NO special processing of audio.  Shows work exactly the same as before.  

Thank you both for responding. I'm not at the point of running a show this year as nothing is setup yet so I've not been able to test a show running.

When I upgraded to 3.10.6, I found that the sequences did about the same thing. But after loading and saving in the upgraded software, they all work fine. I did create a new folder called 3.10.6 sequences and saved them there. I haven't deleted the 3.0.9 yet.

But as said, I only had to do it once.

I saw that on 3.10.6 as well but on .12, I was seeing it do it each time I opened the file even though I saved it again. I'll look again when I get the chance. I lost my show computer suddenly yesterday so I'll have to establish my backup on another machine then test this all again. No clue what happened to the show computer as it just froze and won't reboot but I'm a computer guy and will figure it out....bad memory, motherboard or whatever.

Yes, it is going to do it each time you open the file if it could not create one or more of the internal files.  It will however only do that ONCE per Sequence Editor session.  If you shut down and re-start the SE, that's a new session so it will do it again.

DevMike,

Ever since this new media handling was implemented, I noticed a substantial delay when playing files in SE.  I press the space bar at a moment in the sequence and it is about 3 seconds before the play actually starts...and I have a fast machine.  There are other times to where I press spacebar to stop the play...and it keeps going no matter how many times I hit the spacebar.

This is frustrating as the SE is what we work with the most.  I know I my style is playing a section of a song over and over to get it right.  Now it's painful to do this.  Any suggestions?

I saw that on 3.10.6 as well but on .12, I was seeing it do it each time I opened the file even though I saved it again. I'll look again when I get the chance. I lost my show computer suddenly yesterday so I'll have to establish my backup on another machine then test this all again. No clue what happened to the show computer as it just froze and won't reboot but I'm a computer guy and will figure it out....bad memory, motherboard or whatever.

It was my primary video card that failed. This show computer is an SLI enabled machine with dual SLI video cards and dual DVI outputs to two displays. All fixed now with a backup card that I already had here, so tomorrow I'll get back to looking at the media handling. Thank You DevMike for the extra information as it helps explain what I was seeing.

DevMike,

Regardless of whether the Internal Media is checked on or off, it now takes about 5 seconds (after hitting the spacebar) for the media to start playing.  It never took that long in the past.

So this morning, I tried this again and found that each time I open a file, I get the same Analyzing and Converting. I tried selecting the SE, saving, re-opening, only to see the same thing again. Tried the opposite, turning off the SE, saving, reopening...same result. The only delay I experience is that first playing of the file, then its gone till the next time I open it.

Have any of you tried to add a track with 10.12? I get a media file read error each time. Only work around I have found is to reload the same media file and then go straight to add the track. Curious to hear back

Hello Mike,

I had  similar problem too yesterday, I thought I was doing something wrong.

I was trying to copy a group to a new track and got this error also, see attached error message.

waiting for the new release with patience

have a nice day

Dick