Light-O-Rama Forums

Configuration Issue With New G3-MP3 & Old LOR16xx Showtime Controller

Liberty-Laser

At the summer sale I replaced my old DC-MP3 with a new G3-MP3.  Support claimed it would work with my older LOR1602W Series (steel box).

The G3-MP3 seems to work with my CTB16C controllers but not the LOR1602W Showtime Controller.

I'm also adding a Pixel tree this year, so here is the equipment I have - please let me know where I'm going to have issues:

LOR1602W Series – Showtime Controller - Steel Box

Count - Firmware

1         - CTB16D 4.32

ShowTime Director (New – Replaced DC-MP3)

Count - Firmware

1         - G3-MP3 5.23

CTB16PC

Count - Firmware

5         - 4.40 – V2 Controllers

4         - 4.32 – V1 Controllers

Easy Light Linker (ELL)

Count - Firmware

5         - RFV4 2.8

Edited by Liberty-Laser

Which version of software are you running?

If a later version (3.9+) then when you wrote the show to the SD card, which options did you pick? More importantly, which network speed did you pick? If you chose the 500k speed then the older 1602 will more than likely have an issue with that. (I say more than likely, but the reality is, it's not going to work.)

Make sure that you don't have the 500k speed chosen. 

Software Ver: 3.10.16

Haven't gotten as far as the SD card yet.  When testing the LOR1602W while connected to my laptop the Hardware utility doesn't see the G3-MP3, however when I move the G3-MP3 to a CTB16PC the Hardware utility can see it fine.

I plan to run the pixel tree from the 2nd network of the G3-MP3 & the rest of the show on it's 1st network.

Make a quick sequence with all channels on. Create a show in the HWU, set it to play anytime, and loop continuously. Get the controllers connected to each other and drop the SD card in. The other controllers status light should go solid, indicating everything is working as expected. 

I've got an email into Dan asking about the G3-MP3 and any possible quirks that may reside within.

OK, despite not being able to see the G3-MP3 from the Hardware utility, The SD card runs the show flawlessly.  As you had pointed out when set to 500K these older controllers no not work.

I do have an issue writting the sequence containing my pixel tree to the SD (10 universe tree).  I get:  The maximum number of networks or DMX universes supported is 2.  Additional auxiliary networks or DMX universes beyond this maximum will be ignored.

OK, despite not being able to see the G3-MP3 from the Hardware utility, The SD card runs the show flawlessly.  As you had pointed out when set to 500K these older controllers no not work.

I do have an issue writting the sequence containing my pixel tree to the SD (10 universe tree).  I get:  The maximum number of networks or DMX universes supported is 2.  Additional auxiliary networks or DMX universes beyond this maximum will be ignored.

What level is your software?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the old MP3 player and when I connected it directly to the computer I had to supply power to it using a power adapter. I then could see and program it with the HWU. When I connected it to the LOR controllers I didn't need the power adapter since the controller supplied power. What I'm saying is that the usb adapter doesn't supply power to the MP3 player.

I have the old MP3 player and when I connected it directly to the computer I had to supply power to it using a power adapter. I then could see and program it with the HWU. When I connected it to the LOR controllers I didn't need the power adapter since the controller supplied power. What I'm saying is that the usb adapter doesn't supply power to the MP3 player.

The power is supplied via Cat5 from the 1602W controller.  The older USB-MP3 could do this with a phone cable.

Edited by Liberty-Laser

The power is supplied via Cat5 from the 1602W controller.  The older USB-MP3 could do this with a phone cable.

Yes that's what I said, when connected to the controller! But, not when its connected directly to the usb adapter without the controller.

The G3-MP3 works - runs a show, fine, just not my show any more.  I was mislead on the capabilities of the G3-MP3.  I'm now trying to setup an old laptop to drive the show - even that may or may-not work as pixels are very slow & time consuming to work with in LOR.  The G3-MP3 will now sit inside the controller - idle.  The show will go on, even if I have to plug & unplug the lights to the beat!  lol

I was mislead on the capabilities of the G3-MP3. 

This page and this page both indicate the G3-MP3 runs only two networks. It's also mentioned on several pages in the documentation.

I would be curious to know how you were mislead about the G3-MP3? Was there something else I missed that you thought it should do, or were led to believe it would do, that it doesn't do?

It no longer matters.  I'll put it up for sale next year.  Too busy now re-working the nut's & bolts of moving from the MP3 to a computer.

I'm going to chalk it up to Money wasted & Lesson's learned.  Besides the he said / she said type of thing doesn't fit the holiday mood I'm pushing forward with.  Ho Ho Ho... he exclaims as he rode out of sight... ;)

Tim:

If you can't get your old laptop to run the show I can get you something better or loan you a computer for the season. Just PM me and let me know. If you noticed we probably are 10 minutes from each other. By the way I never been by your display but did watch the videos on your site, very nice. Hope it works out and I'm sure it will!

Larry