Light-O-Rama Forums

New 1602WG3-MP3 and additional controllers

Lightson

I have the new G3 Director unit.  It's unit ID is set at 1, I have three other controllers daisy chained from this unit.   Their unit ID's 2 3, 4.  The hardware utility  recognizes each if I independently connect them.  However, when daisy chained together Hardware utility only recognizes Unit 1.  I have the Max Units set to 0E in the utility, I have tried several of my network cables from the new director unit to controller 2 with the same results.  All three of the other units are powered on.    To test, right now I have the laptop connected via cat5 to the left rj45 jack with the label above it "network 1" and then cat 5 leaving from the other rj45 jack to Unit 2, 2 - 3 the 3-4   I see that the new director unit  under the second far right rj45 jack has a title above  "network 2".  Is the hardware utility not seeing the other controllers because of a network 2? The manual indicates that either jack can be used for in or out connection.  Am I missing something that needs to be manually set on the new director unit?

The area in the HU where the unit shows is a dropdown menu, press the little arrow to the right and see if the other units show up.

Edited by EARLE W. TALLEY

In hardware utility, under "select unit to configure..download..test" I have hit the refresh button several times, it displays in the left box of that area, "1 unit found" in the dropdown of that area it has "01 - 32LD-G3 Ver 1.11"  when clicking the dropdown arrow of that box, there are no other controllers listed

I seem to remember something about this last year, though it was with an earlier firmware version than what is available now. I can't remember how I saw all controllers on the network (nor do I recall if I ever did see them all.)

Try connecting 2,3,4 and make sure you can see those in the HWU. You know you can already see #1 by itself. 

If that passes, make a quick sequence with all channels on. Set it to play anytime, and loop continuously. Get the controllers connected to each other and drop the SD card in. The other controllers status light should go solid, indicating everything is working as expected.

Don: 

I gave your suggestion a quick try, with just unit 1 & 2, unit 1 lights came on, nothing on unit 2 and it's power light just continues to flash, no connectivity.  I connected 8 other controllers together eliminating controller 1 they are all visible in the hardware utility.  I tried placing unit 1 in the middle of the chain of controllers but it seems everything downstream from this new unit is not recognized by the hardware utility and their power lights never go solid.

Try creating the show I talked about. Once it starts up in the Director, the other devices should show a solid status light.

Ah ha!

Connect to the last controller in the chain and see what happens. The very last controller, which will have an open RJ45, connect to that one with everything hooked up.

Thanks again Don.

I tried the hardware utility connecting through Unit 4's open jack, and yes, the hardware utility could see all four controllers. :)   I then created the quick animation and saved as a show to the SD Card. I ran my connections of cat 5 from the right side RJ45 below "network 2" to the second controller and from 2 to unit 3, to 4.  Inserted SD card into Director Controller (unit 1) and yes units 2 and 3 status lights went steady. Turned Unit 1's power on and animation sequence played as it should. :D

Just seems strange that you can't see all controllers in HU if you connect to the 1602Wg3-MP3.  My pre-G3 1602wMp3 director unit I was able to use the HU and still see all controllers that were connected downstream.  I guess it has to do with the dual networking.

Thanks again, very much appreciated!