Light-O-Rama Forums

Will show start if controllers on timer?

dbltrukr1

I have my controller power on a timer set to come on 15 minutes before showtime, show PC on all the time, question is, will the show start or will I have to use Hardware Utility to locate controller every time?

Why have them on a timer?  Most of us leave them on all the time during show season.  However to answer your question, then should be self locating.  Try it out now to be sure. But seriously, leave them on...

Why have them on a timer?  Most of us leave them on all the time during show season.  However to answer your question, then should be self locating.  Try it out now to be sure. But seriously, leave them on...

this is a good idea, leave them on. not only will it eliminate any problem with the timer not working, but also will keep a little heat in the controller to ward off moisture

The Hardware Utility (HWU) is used for testing controllers, upgrading firmware, and on some models setting the UnitID.

You do not need to open the HWU in order to run a show. In fact, it is possible to set up an entire show and never open the HWU one time throughout the season. (Except for setting the UnitID on some controllers.)

When you enable shows, the software looks to make sure that a USB adapter is connected, and that it can talk to it. Once that is done, the software starts the show when instructed, and sends out the commands to whatever controllers may (or may not) be connected.

I have my controller power on a timer set to come on 15 minutes before showtime, show PC on all the time, question is, will the show start or will I have to use Hardware Utility to locate controller every time?

Another suggestion to leave them on for the whole show season.  I run my show year round as it's landscape lighting and never turn them off.  About the only reason to turn them off would be to save power, however the power consumption of the controllers when idle is far less than your show computer, so it is not really worth doing.  Less stress on the electronics leaving them on too.

The timer costs more than any electricity savings.  When your display gets bigger, you would need a timer for each gfci circuit.  Mine stay on for entire 6 weeks.

Controller is on same circuit as floods that light my Tune In sign and Mortuary/Cemetery sign. Sounds like I should do something different. Thanks for the input.