Light-O-Rama Forums

DIO32 vs CTBxx

Bob57702

Being somewhat new and just a dabbler (for now) am I correct in understanding that the DIO32 DMX with DIO16AC boards will function the same as the CTB16PCs with only some DIY work for enclosing, wiring, and power?

They will function the same, in that they accept LOR commands and send those out to the objects connected to the channels.

If you were thinking of using a DIO32DMX/DIO16AC as a replacement for a CTB16PC, though, I would caution against it. Most clients of mine end up using the DIO series of products when they need to power Solid State Relays, not strings of lights that would normally plug into an 110v outlet at your home.

That's why I want to verify what I read.  In the manual for the DIO32 it has:

"Dimming Output Ports 

These ports respond to Sequence Editor commands in the same way as a normal lighting controller. All effects are supported."

So in my wishful way of thinking the DIO16AC Dimming board would have the same functionality as a CTB16PC lighting control.  I was hoping that I could use it not only control to the 110v light strings but other low voltage (12v and 24v) lighting on additional boards in the same way as the CTBxx controllers control the 110v light strings.

The good thing is I'm not doing this for this season.  This is all planning for next season so I have some time to figure out what to do.