Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Tree setup question

htebault

I survived building the 3/4" alum tubing tree. I had setup the 12 CCR's as AUX-A Network, device 05 - 10. I attached the CCR's to the tree frame and ran a test today with partical success.

The system is set to have the Standard network on Comm 11 which has astandard RS485 adapterr  and a CMB24D connected and working. Comm 14 is a highspeed RS485 chosen as Aux A on the Control Panel / Network Preferences.

When I ran the hardware utility, I can choose Comm 11 and "see"/control the CMB24D. I can also choose Comm 14 and "see"/control all 12 of the CCR ribbons.

When I run the sequence editor, set the Play options  to Control Lights then run - no lights at all. If I also set the visualizer to run - I get the proper display.

I must be doing something in the wrong order, or ??

This is on my XP system I use, and it is a veteran of LOR 2012 shows - but that was using only one network and no CCR devices last year.  The system does not seem to be overloaded, but I am noticing today that after I start the sequence editor running, pressing the Stop button doesn't work, or seems to take a very long time to respond - the music continues to run. Very different behavior today, and this is the first day I have two networks connected (may not be related...but just in case)

Any pointers ?

An update. I have updated to 3.10.12 which was just released. Behavior is the same. To expand a bit, if I set the Visualizer to simulation, and choose control visualizer in Sequence Editor, it runs and displays as expected. If I turn off visualizer, and choose control lights - the track starts, the lights do not light, but the sequence continues without control - the Stop button does not operate, and only choosing to close the sequence editor will stop the playback.

I have reconfirmed the network preferences include Regular at Comm 11 and Aux A at Comm 14. Closing the sequence editor, and choosing hardware utility defaults to Comm 11 - Manually changing to Comm 14 and stating under Port Change "Comm Port had been changed to Comm14 Is this the port that will eb used for Shows? - No, then Refreshing it finds the 12 CCR units - which I can then turn on manually.

It appears there is something I am not setting correctly that allows both the Regular (Comm 11) and Aux A (Comm 14) ports to both be used/accessed to control the lights - Is there a magic setting for multiple networks ?

Oops - found my problem. The two networks were on Comm 11 and 14 - but in the Network Preferences I had 11 and 15 - changing it to 14 has fixed the problem and it works as expeced now.

I also realized in the Hardware utility - I was presented with the choice of either 11 or 14 and so was able to reach either network (1 at a time).

Documentation! Documentation!.....

One other observation from this first full scale testing of the 12CCR tree.  I found there was one ribbon that when the tree was showing white, the ribbon was different, sort of an offwhite. Looking at each LED - Each color looked about ok, but all together that should be white just wasn't.

I first switched controller/ribbons and the problem moved, so the ribbon was ok. I then replaced the controller and still had the problem. I then replaced the power supply feeding that controller and fixed the problem. I understand the ribbon uses maximum power on white - so, I must have had a marginal power supply.

Just in case you find a CCR that is off-white, check your power supply feeding it. (I am using the standard CCR/Controller/power suppllies on this setup.  Hope this helps someone else troubleshoot.

• Like 2

thanks for the info

always good to see someone figure out a problem and post their results

Edited by john fulkerson

• The topic was locked