Light-O-Rama Forums

Whats your Halloween show schedule?

lowepg

I searched and found plenty of threads on xmas schedules, but not so much on halloween...

So, what's everyone doing?

I get the feeling that most folks have a broader appetite for seeing xmas lights up and blinking then they might for Halloween? No one in our neighborhood does much (except a day or 2 before oct 31)- so I don't have much to go on...

I was thinking of building up the show:

Starting this week, just illuminate the group decorations (tombstones, jack-o-lanterns, etc). Then, perhaps next week, start showing a few sequences....

Thoughts?

Also, how long AFTER Oct31 do you keep Halloween running?

I only focus on the weekend prior and then Halloween for the show. I know others run all month long.

Building up the show is a good idea.

I'm assuming most will end October 31st as the following weekend will be on it's heels to start setting up for the Christmas season.

I start Christmas set-up the day after Halloween as I need every day before Thanksgiving that I can get.

We started set-up this past weekend.  If all goes well with testing the remainder of this week and I can get a few tweeks done on the sequences, we will start running our show this Friday or Saturday and continue each evening through Oct 31.   Not the volume of traffic for Halloween as for Christmas, but still have some folks stop each evening to view the show.  As we've been setting up folks have been asking when the show will be up and running.

Thanks- I was thinking of engaging the services of the demented elf for some voice-overs and start advertising the "real show" for a week before. This is the first year I've done Halloween- hence the questions....

Only one thing concerns me: We have a very typical suburban subdivision in NC- which means sidewalks on 1-side of the streets only. So, for Halloween (and really - all the time) it's typical for a lot of kids to be walking in the street around the neighborhood. I'm concerned that drawing a bunch of driving traffic into the neighborhood is potentially bad during trick-or-treating hours....?

I guess it's not like people will be coming from miles and miles around to see my little show, but the last thing I want is to adversely affect the kids safety. For Halloween I was planning to add outdoor speakers (to complement the fm broadcast) so that walkers could enjoy the show...

Am I over thinking this?? :-)

Edited by lowepg

I don't think your over thinking this.

When it comes to providing entertainment and especially for kids, safety needs to be addressed and thought about.

Maybe even make a lit up sign for the drivers to watch for kids.

it sounds like you heading in the right direction.

And yes, outdoor speakers are a must at Halloween.

Edited by Santas Helper

Thanks- I was thinking of engaging the services of the demented elf for some voice-overs and start advertising the "real show" for a week before. This is the first year I've done Halloween- hence the questions....

Only one thing concerns me: We have a very typical suburban subdivision in NC- which means sidewalks on 1-side of the streets only. So, for Halloween (and really - all the time) it's typical for a lot of kids to be walking in the street around the neighborhood. I'm concerned that drawing a bunch of driving traffic into the neighborhood is potentially bad during trick-or-treating hours....?

I guess it's not like people will be coming from miles and miles around to see my little show, but the last thing I want is to adversely affect the kids safety. For Halloween I was planning to add outdoor speakers (to complement the fm broadcast) so that walkers could enjoy the show...

Am I over thinking this?? :-)

I don't think you're over thinking it especially when it comes to children's safety. In my neighborhood, some people put out traffic cones in the street to get driver's attention and slow them down. Maybe you could "cone off" a section on the sidewalk side so they have a place to stand rather than just all over the place?

I do a big Halloween show and Christmas show and usually set up the first week of Oct and Dec. I have outdoor speakers and I only play my sequences for about 2 hours usually 8-10. The only thing that drives me nutts is people pulling into my driveway to watch the show.

I usually run the full month {this is my first year 2013 that I will only be running the last 2 weeks or possibly just the last week of October}, run the show from around 7pm until 10pm Sunday-Thursday, until 11pm on Friday/Saturday.  Halloween night I run until Midnight, then teardown commences, yes, I start tearing down Halloween at 12:01am Nov 1!   Because as soon as I get all the Halloween down and packed away, the Christmas décor gets pulled out and starts going up in a few days, after I take a rest from taking down all the Halloween décor.

I use an FM transmitter and outdoor speakers as well.

I also run an overnight animation show that cycles all the décor on 50% or less setting, starts at 10pm Sun-Thu and starts at 11pm Fri/Sat, ends at 7am, then the daytime Halloween music plays until show time starts again, which is usually about 7pm frame for me.

I'm going live on the 18th and dark on the 3rd.  7pm until 11pm.

I only use speakers for Halloween night.

I only run my foggers (over chillers) on weekends and Halloween night.