Light-O-Rama Forums

Will I experience network strain with new CCR's?

chowell

Last year I operated 224 channels in addition to 3 cosmic color ribbons without any problems.  This year I will again have 224 channels but operating a total of 15 ribbons.  Will I experience some network strain if they are all on the same network?

Thanks in advance.

Corey

Last year I operated 224 channels in addition to 3 cosmic color ribbons without any problems.  This year I will again have 224 channels but operating a total of 15 ribbons.  Will I experience some network strain if they are all on the same network?

Thanks in advance.

Corey

Without 500k? Not just 'some' strain, but a lot.

Would recommend getting updating the firmware on the CCR's, a new 500k adapter from LOR, and putting the CCR's on their own network.

Which adapter specifically would you recommend?  It looks like there are three of them now?  The one I currently have is the one that was supplied with my inital starter kit several years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Corey

Thank you very much for the reply and the link.  I will definitely purchase one for the new ribbon network.  Since I ran without problem last year, should I just purchase one for the new set of ribbons I will be placing on the new network and leave the other alone and run it as last year?  I guess what I am asking is will there be trouble using my regular 485 adapter I have always had, and this new high speed adapter together?

Corey

When you have two USB adapters connected at the same time, you are really running two LOR networks.

In the LOR Control Panel there is a "Network Preferences" link. You would use that to define which network is which, and which is running at 500k. You will also need to make sure you adjust your sequences so that the controller ID's that are on the new network are actually configured to run on the new network.

The first time I used my 4 CCRs and 14 controllers they didn't work.

moved them to their own network and they ran great.

15 CCRs I would be ordering AT LEAST 3 USB adapters.

FYI I don't use micros so your mileage may vary!

Edited by PaulXmas

I just checked my notebook that runs the show.  It only has two usb ports.  If I use a four way usb splitter, will that allow me to use the third usb adapter or will it still only see two of them since there are only two com ports?  Also, if I can make three adapters work, should I leave last years config alone with 14 controllers and three CCR's, and then take the 12 new ribbons and split them into two networks?

Edited by chowell

I just checked my notebook that runs the show.  It only has two usb ports.  If I use a four way usb splitter, will that allow me to use the third usb adapter or will it still only see two of them since there are only two com ports?  Also, if I can make three adapters work, should I leave last years config alone with 14 controllers and three CCR's, and then take the 12 new ribbons and split them into two networks?

Don't quote me on this .. but I think if you get a powered USB hub/splitter, etc. then it will be okay.

You could probably get away with 12 CCR's on one High Speed (HS) network and HS adapter. If last years config worked, I wouldn't see any reason to change it this year. Just put the new CCRs on another network.

Don you have been a great help!  Thanks so much for following up with me.  I think I will give that a try.  A powered USB hub with the 12 CCR's on the second network. 

Thanks again!

Corey

Thinking about the future here for my display, if I obtained one or more of these high speed usb adapters, are they powered types and will the wireless linkers be able to keep up with the data flow to the outside?

Thinking about the future here for my display, if I obtained one or more of these high speed usb adapters, are they powered types and will the wireless linkers be able to keep up with the data flow to the outside?

No  sorry that wont work.   The ells are speed limited due to wireless.  There is new firmware for better speed.  But its not up to the 500k you can use if you could run the wire.

The network traffic is highly dependent on how you sequence manually or how you generate the sequence.     Flashing all 50 from red snap to green has to change 50 pixels (just G) at once.  Snapping to white has to change 150 (RGB).   But if you chase end to end red to green only 1 pixel is changed at each moment until you get to the end.  Very big difference in the number of commands across the network.   Using the Logical Resolution (I dont consider this one a macro channel) set to ONE.  You can snap all 50 to white with a single pixel command and 1/50 th of the commands across the network.  

No  sorry that wont work.   The ells are speed limited due to wireless.  There is new firmware for better speed.  But its not up to the 500k you can use if you could run the wire.

Yes, right after I posted, I read the manual on the linkers and saw that 56k is it for speed. I suppose I would have to move my show computer to the garage to run comm wire directly if I do this in the future. My ELL's were purchased middle of last year, so I'll check for firmware updates. Maybe someone in the hardware division will see this and start thinking about a speed increase on the ELL's?