Light-O-Rama Forums

Chanting for release

pHar

I, like pretty much every other member of this board, have been watching the beta forum with baited breath ever since they made it accessible. For several days there have been no "showstopper" issues in anything other then the "closed" state.

So I have started this new thread to blatantly beg the development team to stop fixing issues and release. Lets face it if a bug is a nuisance then fixing it is just creating more code churn and creating the opportunity to introduce more "showstoppers". At some point you just have to put your foot down and release the product on to customers. I know the development team is good and if they are like most of the engineers I know they probably want to release a perfect product.

So lets have at LOR II. We know their are nuisance issues and that is OK. We can read the list and know what we might watch out for. But there are no Showstoppers left and any more changes made are just adding risk.

Oh yeah did I mention please, please let us have LOR II?

:P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• Denny

• daniel

• Dan Maslyk

I am really, really hopeful that the version in the hands of the beta testers is a release candidate. If it is, and it is accepted for release, any issues listed with fixes being tested, but not out to beta will (in typical practice) be part of the first update to LOR II, not part of the initial release. Other open issues, and others yet to be found may or may not make it into the first update. I'm just really hopeful that it is a release candidate that the beta test team is working with, and I hope no showstoppers appear...

Only if the current beta test version is not a release candidate, or if this version is deemed not releasable do we have to worry about them introducing new show stoppers that would delay the initial LOR II release..

And yes, I am one of the first year fools impatiently waiting for LOR II to appear...:P

- Kevin

I think everyone should just take a deep breath release LORII and relax. I'm sure the LOR beta testers release LORII are working as quickly as possible to release. Nobody wants release LORII a version thats not ready. Me personally, I'm rolling forward with LOR I please release LORII and trying to finish all my projects before its too late regardless of release.

Short of that... I'll just start chanting.

Ditto to that! I was really hoping for (planning on, actually) a release for Halloween, but alas, hope dashed once again.

So....marching on.

~K

R J Vydrzal wrote:

I give up, its on with the show for me.

I'll work with it next year if it comes out by then.

RJ

DCook wrote:

Ditto, Ditto, and more Ditto!!!!!

And please, please, please no one post that it will be worth the wait!!!

-

It will be worth the wait.

Seriously, I remember a while back when LOR II was just a rummer. Now after waiting all that time, I don not want a defective product! I want Dan and the rest or the LOR guys to take it easy and release LOR II when THEY think it is ready.

--Daniel L

Rumor? Dan has been talking about LOR II since 2005. The only Rumor is that it was supposed to be released for the 2006 season.

Now in the standard time scale for vaporware one year is not bad.

We will not get a "bug free" product. No such thing exists. But it does appear we will get a very robust product that we will all enjoy.

I am happy this is finally getting close.

pHar wrote:

Close counts only in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear warfare. ;)

pHar wrote:

Rumor? Dan has been talking about LOR II since 2005. The only Rumor is that it was supposed to be released for the 2006 season.

Now in the standard time scale for vaporware one year is not bad.

We will not get a "bug free" product. No such thing exists. But it does appear we will get a very robust product that we will all enjoy.

I have been talking about LORII for way too long! Early on I made a big mistake in the estimate for the effort involved and the resources available. Today, every time someone at Light-O-Rama has to answer another email or phone call about LORII (which is all the time!) they take the time to reminded about my mistake and plea that I do not do it again! Hopefully a couple of good things will come from this. One good thing is LORII and another is that I will be more careful about what I promise.

We are very close now. Yesterday we released what we belive will be the last beta version of software. It is highly unlikely that we will see any major problems and we will be releasing the production version very soon.

While we were delayed with the release of LORII, LOR I did receive some new features that were earmarked for LORII. Things like the waveform display, which were important to users, were moved into LOR I early to help relieve some of the "pain" of waiting.

I believe that when LORII is released it will be the most stable software of its kind available anywhere at any price. As you dig around in it you will be able to find lots of neat new things you can do. Although it is not apparent from the outside, the "guts" of the Light-O-Rama software were replaced with a well thought out design that will give us the ability to more easily add new features and functionality.

Most people went to Light-O-Rama to bring their displays to the "next level". Well, as time goes on, the "next level" is going to move up. This investment in software infrastructure positions us so we can keep LOR customers ahead of the game.

Best regards,
Dan

pHar wrote:

Exactly, it was announced arround 05, but BEFORE that their was the LOR II rumor.

And yes, it wont be bug free, but it should be really nice!

--Daniel L

LightORamaDan wrote:

I have been talking about LORII for way too long! Early on I made a big mistake in the estimate for the effort involved and the resources available. Today, every time someone at Light-O-Rama has to answer another email or phone call about LORII (which is all the time!) they take the time to reminded about my mistake and plea that I do not do it again! Hopefully a couple of good things will come from this. One good thing is LORII and another is that I will be more careful about what I promise.

So, when will LOR III be released and what goodies will it contain?;)

After all, you don't want the LOR staff to get too comfortable. They are so used to answering the phone and questions, you need to keep them in shape!

richarsenault wrote:

I knew it was only time before the LORIII discussion started... :D We should really leave the LOR staff alone until at least Christmas. The gloves are off after that... :D

Rich

You guys are just too funny:D I was going to just skip to the iLOR-1000 Software Suite... ( did anyone notice that the iDMX-32 became the iDMX-1000? 32 just seem too restrictive:cool: and somthing with a 1000 in the name just seems better:))

daniel wrote:

DCook wrote:
Ditto, Ditto, and more Ditto!!!!!

And please, please, please no one post that it will be worth the wait!!!

-

It will be worth the wait.

Seriously, I remember a while back when LOR II was just a rummer. Now after waiting all that time, I don not want a defective product! I want Dan and the rest or the LOR guys to take it easy and release LOR II when THEY think it is ready.

--Daniel L

Nice touch!! :D

I knew someone would have to do it.:D

pHar-

I don't think the release for 2006 was a rumor. But that doesn't really matter anymore.

-Darrell

DCook wrote:

[snip]
I don't think the release for 2006 was a rumor. But that doesn't really matter anymore.

-Darrell
I am sure that if we look there was I tme that I said LOR II would be out in 2006. I know that there was a time that I expected it to be.