Light-O-Rama Forums

Spider Web?

lowepg

I've seen a few spider webs incorporated into shows, but not a lot and I couldnt find much in the way of construction information.

Even though the LAST thing I likely need is a new element to add right now, I DO have a large white side of our house thats virtually unlit (We are on a corner lot, and its around the corner from the front where 99% of the decorations are)... I was thinking this might be a good spot to add something big-ish.

Anyone willing to share some easy spider-web ideas?

I was thinking of building the base "web" out of wire and then simply zip tieing strings to the wire...

I've seen a few spider webs incorporated into shows, but not a lot and I couldnt find much in the way of construction information.

Even though the LAST thing I likely need is a new element to add right now, I DO have a large white side of our house thats virtually unlit (We are on a corner lot, and its around the corner from the front where 99% of the decorations are)... I was thinking this might be a good spot to add something big-ish.

Anyone willing to share some easy spider-web ideas?

I was thinking of building the base "web" out of wire and then simply zip tieing strings to the wire...

I was wanting to do the same thing, but after crunching numbers and time, I went for one already built. You might want to checkout: http://www.spiderwebman.net

I have a spider web from spiderwebman and I zipped tied LED lights to it for a real cool effect. This next year I will put RGB lights on it for even a better lighting effects.

Wow- those webs are awesome.... I would almost think of getting one with a black light even if i couldnt light it up....

they didnt seem heavy enough to tie lights to though?

Wow- those webs are awesome.... I would almost think of getting one with a black light even if i couldnt light it up....

they didnt seem heavy enough to tie lights to though?

He had a video up that showed he used CCP's attached to it. Looks pretty cool.

If it does rain this weekend, I will be putting mine up. I'm just going to use the black light this year, as I have already set my CCP's up for my Mega tree. I might get some more CCP controllers next year for the web.

He had a video up that showed he used CCP's attached to it. Looks pretty cool.

If it does rain this weekend, I will be putting mine up. I'm just going to use the black light this year, as I have already set my CCP's up for my Mega tree. I might get some more CCP controllers next year for the web.

I meant to say if it doesn't rain. Anyway if you go back to that website and click on lightshow, it will have the video of the pixels attached.

saw that- Im not doing pixels ...... yet :-)

So Im still living in the ancient days of AC-controlled lights :-(

Im thinking strings of minis would start to weigh down the rope....

saw that- Im not doing pixels ...... yet :-)

So Im still living in the ancient days of AC-controlled lights :-(

Im thinking strings of minis would start to weigh down the rope....

Pixels weight more than mini lights, but if you plan to put multiples, that is probably true.

Dovetailing onto what "indi" said earlier, we wound up buying one of the SpiderWebMan's webs for our display this year.  It's made of actual clothesline, not a thin yarn,  and seems very sturdy.    (Wet jeans weigh much more than lights do.)   It was the cheapest and fastest way we could cover a big portion of the house.  We're just going to hit it with a blacklight and move on to other parts of the display for now.  

I stil harbor some concern about the joints being held together with glue, but was pleasantly suprised, once I held one in my hand, at how firm and strong the joints really are.  My original plan was to reinforce the joints before we put it out, but after inspecting it, I think we'll try it as it is.    It's scheduled to go up early this week.

Surely someone here has had one for several years and can attest to how they hold up to weather and time.

If you're really curious about how much load they will bear, I'd contact the owner.  He put considerable effort into strapping heavy ropelights on his personal home's web. 

Bizywk:

Mine was scheduled to go up this past weekend, but it rained all day Saturday and Sunday was in the low 50's, so I just put it off until this coming weekend. I am going to also use a blacklight then move on to my other decorations. 

As you said, I watched Brain's video on how he makes and tested the web and I think it will be fine. Like anything else made of cotton, before I store it after it comes down, I will make sure it is clean and dry before storing it. Happy Halloween.