Light-O-Rama Forums

Backing up sequencing files

bschwotzer

I have looked through the threads and everyone says back up you sequencing. I am new at this and not super computer literate. I play around on the computer but am not very knowledgeable . I read lots of help files. I saw the thread on Robocopy, and sending the files to dropbox but it just did not make sense to me. Feeling kinda of stupid to ask, but here I go. I have sequenced a number of songs and saved them in the sequencing file area of LOR program, but I cannot seem to figure out how to get the sequences saved to the thumb drive as a backup, in the LOR sequence editor. I have tried searching the help files under back up and saving to thumb drive with no success. I would hate to lose my first year to a computer crash. I don't have plans on something huge just 16 channels and will build from there. Other than the sequence editor I have just used the LOR visualizer and the simple show builder. With the show time builder and have built a show with the songs I have completed, saying I was using a dcmp3, which allowed me to save to a thumb drive.

Hi bschwotzer.

To back up your files you need to first find the location of the files. Simply clicking on LOR in your program file wont give you the access you want. You will need to access the files on your hard drive. To do this find your (c:) drive

In computers pre windows 8 click on start then click on my computer, then Double left click on  c drive.

For windows 8 go to desktop double click on a file on your desk top. on the left side click on computer.

Now that you have found your files

Double click on your hard drive (c:)

Double click on program files

find the light- o-rama file

now plug in your flash drive, it should open automatically

scroll down until you see Open folder to view files and double click on it

The light o rama file you found earlier left click and hold the button down, drag it over to your flash drive you have open and release the button. You have just copied your files into your flash drive .

close all screens by clicking on the red x on the top right hand side of every window.

Now down by the clock on the bottom right click on the green arrow, left click on it and then click on safely remove usb mass storage device.

If you cant find the green arrow look for a white arrow to expand the toolbar.

I recommend coping to at least 2 types of drives encase 1 fails.

That ends the lesson and move to the top of the class.

John

• Like 2

Thank you for taking the time to lay out the steps I needed to take. I was thinking that there was a way to back up the file from inside the LOR programs.  I found all of the sequences in My Documents in the LOR folder and was able in seconds back up the work I have done. Now that you let me see out of the little box I was trying to force myself in it was so simple. Thank you

I back up my files in 3 places.  On my show computer, on my work lap top, and on a flash drive.  The more the better.  Last thing you would want is to loose hours and hours of work.

Back up, back up, back up!!!

In addition to backing up to a different drive/computer locally I use Carbonite. Carbonite is one of several on-line backup "services" that backs up your files "offsite" into their datacenter. That way, if my house burns down or someone steals all my computer equipment I don't lose both the original AND the backup at the same time. The cost is about $55 per year for unlimited storage. I also back up my pictures and home videos. I have almost 300gb backed up this way. The good thing about carbonite is it backs up the files automatically when they change. There is some time lapse (probably a matter of several minutes) til they get backed up but I use it more for a "disaster recovery" situation than trying to save every version of file I ever create. There are also several "free" services that allow you to back up a few gb.

Edited by TonyD

I create a folder for the season (say Halloween 2013) on my C: drive.  All my work for that season is there (including mp3's).  Periodically I copy the entire folder to a network drive, flash drive, and occasionally back it up to a dvd.

I have software that keeps my home networked HD in-sync with my laptop.  I also manually sync that with my PC.

I consider myself a techie, but still don't feel comfortable with on-line solutions.  I know all of the great selling points of it, but I don't trust someone-else handling security of my personal data - mistakes happen.  I assume some risk, but at least I know where my data is.  If someone wants my data, good luck getting through my firewalls.

I have software that keeps my home networked HD in-sync with my laptop.  I also manually sync that with my PC.

I consider myself a techie, but still don't feel comfortable with on-line solutions.  I know all of the great selling points of it, but I don't trust someone-else handling security of my personal data - mistakes happen.  I assume some risk, but at least I know where my data is.  If someone wants my data, good luck getting through my firewalls.

Totally agree with you on this. I tend to shy away from any "cloud" type solution because I know it's just a matter of time before someone gets to that data either on purpose or accidentally. I believe Carbonite encrypts your data so even they can't read it (it's just encrypted bits and bytes). At least I hope they do. Maybe I should check into that next time my subscription is due.

Totally agree with you on this. I tend to shy away from any "cloud" type solution because I know it's just a matter of time before someone gets to that data either on purpose or accidentally. I believe Carbonite encrypts your data so even they can't read it (it's just encrypted bits and bytes). At least I hope they do. Maybe I should check into that next time my subscription is due.

I use BoxCryptor for anything sensitive going out to the cloud. Haven't touched the new version (2.x) they have come out with, still on the 1.x series, but couldn't be happier. Check it out.

I created a small batch file using robocopy.  Its a quick built in DOS command for windows.

robocopy D:\christmas\2013 j:\2013 /e

D:\ is my current hard drive but yours is most likely "C".

Christmas\2013 is where my sequences, music and other related files for christmas

j:\2013 is my destination flash drive

/e will copy everything that was changed

to create this file,

1. Open notepad and copy the above routine into it. 

2. Change the drive and file folder locations as necessary.

3. Save the file as Backup.bat (or whatever) to your desktop.

Then when you are done for the night, double-click the bat file and it will copy your data to the flash drive.  This will also work acrossed the network.

I have my data backed to to the flash drive, my seconday PC and my server backs up both PCs at night...

Post your questions if you have any.  Someone will respond.

I'm also a fan of both Carbonite and Dropbox.  Carbonite saved my cookies once already this year and in my mind that paid for the subscription and assured them I'd remain a customer.  And Dropbox, IMO, is one of the slickest things going.  It has so many uses, not the least of which is meaning I don't have to be carrying thumb drives around with my current sequencing work on it and then forgetting the drive and having to go back to the office/house to pick it up and then getting the various versions of the file all out of whack.  Given that it's free, Dropbox has already paid for itself in saved gasoline and saved aggravation.  

Edited by George Simmons

Ummm so all your data is stored in one location?

If you had a fire flood theft then you would lose it all?

Even before Dropbox I would backup to DVD and store them in a safety deposit box.

I use Dropbox for my sequences and pictures so if someone want to have a look at those no biggy I use it so I have a backup in case something happens at home where I have everything backed up to 2 other computers..

This thread is about backing up sequences no personal data.

• 8 months later...

would you be able to tell me how i can save my sequences i made? i am affraid my computer is about to crash and i would hate to have to make them over. i have tried to save them from lor on my harddrive to a usb but when i try to open them on my other computer they are not there help! please!

sincerly warren sperow arkansas.

what I did was email them to my self. BUT. I hope someone with more experience can help you better than me. Good luck.

What I do is fairly simple really. I use a flash drive, which are cheap these days. I just copy the entire LOR directory and paste it onto the flash drive. I then copy that directory onto a backup computer therefore now I have two backups! This summer, when I adding devices, sequencing changes and so on, I'll be backing up a lot so that I don't lose any of the changes in case of a glitch.

Warren, did you also download and install lor on the backup computer? You then copy the saved files over to your backup computer.

• 5 months later...

Lesson learned. I lost my hard drive on my show computer. I was able to put on my show with my old laptop. I did have most of my sequences backup, but not some of the latest revisions. I had to buy a new computer and download LOR on it. Took me two days to get the sequences where they would run. I'll see if the show goes on tonight. Backup, backup. I will be backing up after every session from now on.