Light-O-Rama Forums

tricky installation spot: need advice (photo included)

lowepg

I'm stuck on my LAST singing face installation. The frame is from Wire Frame D'lites. It probably weighs 15 pounds with rope lights attached....

The other 3 are mounted over 2nd story windows that open, so I was able to access the area to mount the hooks and hoist the frames up...

The last spot is not so easy. It will be mounted in from of a non-opening 2nd story window. picture below:

My concern is that I can only get to the sides of the window with my ladder. So, I can mount hooks or eyelets, but I wont really be able to easily hoist the frame up while on the ladder AND since Id have to be over to one side- not sure how i could hang it even it i could...

1 idea I had was to mount 2 "eyelets" into the brick above the window. Then, feed a heavy wire or line through the eyelet, then down to the frame sitting on the ground. Then, I could hoist the frame up to the top by pulling the wires down (safely while on the ground). Lastly, Id have to secure the lines when it was fully raised into place.

Is this overly complicated?

I need help!

btw- a cherry picker wouldn't likely work either as there is no level place below to put it (this window is above the from entrance porch/landing)..... also, i don't own one :-)

10024034166_8253eb0899_c.jpg

Check with your local rental place.  They should have just the thing you need.

Go to one of the bigger ones if you have a choice.  You're looking for something called a "sky hook". 

Good luck.

• Like 1

Just an idea....

I'm assuming that you can get to the peak which is over the window.  From the photo, it looks accessable.

Fasten a couple of boards (2x8's or 2x6's)  togther on the long sides to form a "V".  Attach a pulley to the end.  Lay this on the peak above the window with the pulley hanging over the edge.  Weight this with sandbags.  Then you can hoist it up.  Once you have it in place, you can remove the board and pulley.

You may not be able to get the rope off the wire frame, but, you could just coil it up and leave it on the roof until time to take it down.

Jerry

Check with your local rental place.  They should have just the thing you need.

Go to one of the bigger ones if you have a choice.  You're looking for something called a "sky hook". 

Good luck.

Can you elaborate? I looked up skyhook online and came back with giant lift equipment! :-)

I weighed the finished frames and they are about 18 pounds.... add 2 pounds for the weight of the spt-2 cord and call it 20 even.

What do you think about mounting a couple hooks into this wood frame piece bordering the window?

It feels solid... but not sure if thats safe? The hooks are rated for 75-90lbs each when mounted in wood. They would require a 3/16 pilot hole predrilled.

post-8665-0-31180300-1380728001_thumb.jp

post-8665-0-83134000-1380728007_thumb.jp

Home Depot rents a towable lift.  Gets about 35 feet.  I used one a few years back to trim some trees.  Towed it around the yard with my Kubota.

For hoisting the frame up, I would use a pulley system using a eye screw screwed into the wood trim on each side and above the window. Get two pulleys and 50-100ft of rope and hoist the frame up. You can remove the pulleys and rope after mounting the frame. For mounting, I would use a hook screw either into the brick or the wood trim above the window and use plummers metal tape to wrap around the frame and then use one of the holes in the plummers tape to hook to the hook screws. You would probably still need help hoisting the frame up from the ground so you can be on the ladder to hook the frames.

For hoisting the frame up, I would use a pulley system using a eye screw screwed into the wood trim on each side and above the window. Get two pulleys and 50-100ft of rope and hoist the frame up. You can remove the pulleys and rope after mounting the frame. For mounting, I would use a hook screw either into the brick or the wood trim above the window and use plummers metal tape to wrap around the frame and then use one of the holes in the plummers tape to hook to the hook screws. You would probably still need help hoisting the frame up from the ground so you can be on the ladder to hook the frames.

Yes! Thats exactly what I did.

eye-screws into wood frame. s-hooks to temporarily connect 2 pulleys

2 daughters hoisted frame from below- then I just snapped carabiners from eye-bolt to frame, unhooked s-hooks (pulleys) and done!

I swear I spent an hour an homedepot eyeing up connectors and thinking through that.... then, took 2 minutes to install! :-)