Light-O-Rama Forums

pause button

calypso11

I used this last year , but right now it seems to throw off my timing  when I play after pause its about 2 secs off  any ideas?  ive tried setting the play mode to different setting still same result

But is the MP3 constant {CBR} or variable {VBR} bitrate?  Often times when the timing gets disrupted like that is because the MP3 is in the incorrect format.  It should be in a CBR format to work best.

Edited by Orville

not sure how to tell which kind of mp3

Download a program called "MP3Tag", it will give you the option to see if your MP3 file is in VBR or CBR format.  It also allows you to enter info about your MP3 files, such as Artist, Song Name, Album, Year, Track #, and additional comments.

You can download it here: http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Latest version is 2.57 and the software is 100% FREE!   No registration or any other fees.

The toolbar header will have "VBR", but under that the MP3 bitrate will display as VBR or CBR.   Every once in a while I miss one of mine and MP3Tag shows me what the bitrates are of all my MP3 files, so I can always catch those I need to convert.

You'll need an Musical Editor program like Audacity to convert them over to CBR or any Music Editor you may use or already have.  I use a commercial Music Editor by Magix myself and allows me to do large batch conversions of multiple MP3 files or folders.  I'm not all that familiar with Audacity as I don't use it, but many folks here do.  It is also a free program and you can download it here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Good Luck.

P.S. If you have any questions about MP3Tag or Audacity just ask, and someone here will be able to help.  I can answer about MP3Tag, but again, don't use Audacity, so I don't know much about it.

it works fine when I start from beginning  just gets off when I start pausing

A VBR MP3 will work fine from start to finish, however, when you start using the space bar to start/pause the music, a VBR MP3 will start getting off the timing mark.  I think this is being addressed in later versions of the Sequence Editor, but for now, the timing seems to get skewed a bit when pausing and restarting.

A CBR MP3 will work fine from start to finish, and it will usually always stay right on the timings when paused/restarted throughout the sequence.

This is why it's best to know what bitrate setting, VBR or CBR your MP3 files are in.  If you convert the MP3 currently in use and is VBR to a CBR, once you convert the MP3 to CBR you will actually need to go into the SE and reload the MP3 using the Media File under the Edit tab.  

Otherwise the SE will still believe it's the original MP3 and you'll still have the same issue with the timing.   Learned that one a long time ago.  

So once you know it's converted to CBR, in SE, click on Edit tab, then on Media File and reload the newly converted CBR MP3 file, save the sequence and now you should be good to go. 

If not, close the SE, then reload SE and reload the sequence file and everything should work properly,      

Occasionally you have to close the SE and reload it and the sequence before the changes are recognized.  But I've not usually had to do that too often, but there are some rare occasions I have had to do this.

Good Luck!

Edited by Orville

Personal opinion only, but you really only need Audacity. When exporting to a MP3 file, you have the option of filling in the tags that the other program can do.

I just don't see the need for two programs, when one will do both tasks.

Personal opinion only, but you really only need Audacity. When exporting to a MP3 file, you have the option of filling in the tags that the other program can do.

I just don't see the need for two programs, when one will do both tasks.

I agree personal opinion, and here is why I use two separate programs.

Like I said, I DO NOT use Audacity, so I have no idea what it can or can not do.  Can it show you if your MP3 is a VBR or CBR file?  

I have an commercial music editor and it can't even tell me if the file is CBR or VBR when I load it in, the only program I have that will is the MP3Tag software I posted about above.  But the music editor WILL save the file as CBR {won't tell you}, you just UNCHECK the "Use VBR option?" to save the MP3 back out as CBR, but loading it in, I have no way of knowing if it is VBR or CBR and why I, again, use MP3Tag to know for certain what format my MP3 files are in, even after converting them in the editor.

And it's how I find MP3's that are not in the correct format, plus I can batch change things directly inside the MP3Tag program that I can't do, even in my music editor! 

And I really doubt Audacity would be able to do some of the features I use regularly in MP3Tag, mainly because they aren't all in my music editor, which is extremely complex in a lot of respects, but lacks some options MP3Tag offers me.  So yes, I use two programs, and it doesn't take that much longer to verify any of my MP3 files with MP3Tag, since, again, my music editor CAN NOT do that, and others I've looked at couldn't either!

Edited by Orville

Like I said, I DO NOT use Audacity, so I have no idea what it can or can not do.  Can it show you if your MP3 is a VBR or CBR file?  

I am a new user to Audacity but I do not see where it will show you if the file is VBR or CBR. If someone knows can you fill us in?

I am a new user to Audacity but I do not see where it will show you if the file is VBR or CBR. If someone knows can you fill us in?

A little bit of research leads me to this answer ...

----

Once a file has been loaded into Audacity it's converted into the format used in the Audacity workspace.

When you open an MP3 you may notice the loading dialog actually says "Importing", so (depending on the input file) it's converted to something like a "Stereo, 44100Hz 32-bit float" 'track'.

At this point the file's bitrate is no longer involved, so there's nothing to show you.

When you Export the project to a media file (like an MP3), you will be given the option to set the bitrate of the file you are exporting the tracks as.

----

So, no, it can't show it to you. 

A little bit of research leads me to this answer ...

----

Once a file has been loaded into Audacity it's converted into the format used in the Audacity workspace.

When you open an MP3 you may notice the loading dialog actually says "Importing", so (depending on the input file) it's converted to something like a "Stereo, 44100Hz 32-bit float" 'track'.

At this point the file's bitrate is no longer involved, so there's nothing to show you.

When you Export the project to a media file (like an MP3), you will be given the option to set the bitrate of the file you are exporting the tracks as.

----

So, no, it can't show it to you. 

thanks Don!

As an avid fan of Audacity, I'm 100% with Don on this one.  I found Audacity easy to learn and use, and I've yet to identify a need related to sequencing or low power FM broadcasting that Audacity fails to meet. 

Since Orv has already identified professional-grade editors that don't have all of Audacity's features, why would anyone who's NOT a production or broadcasting expert even bother with anything else?

Try it - you'll like it.

I did try it George, it does not have all the features of my profession grade music editor and I didn't like Audacity at all.. 

And as I stated NONE of the Music {MP3} Editors I've tried will show you whether the MP3 is in CBR or VBR format and Don just confirmed that Audacity won't either.. 

And that is why I use MP3Tag, it not only serves a purpose for me, it allows me to KNOW whether an MP3 is VBR or CBR at a glance, now maybe it's not for some, but for me, it is a MUST HAVE, mainly because of having thousands of MP3 files, some may not have been converted or were missed.  

MP3Tag, again, allows me to see at a glance the file folder of MP3s and all sub-folders, if I include them, and the VBR will stick out like a sore thumb among all the CBR files.  So I know which one{s} will need to be loaded into my music editor and converted to CBR, then use MP3Tag again to be 100% certain they are, and have been, in fact, changed to CBR format.  

Plus I use MP3Tag to mass convert the same info among the same albums songs are ripped from at once, not have to redo it every time a conversion gets made and strips out the info, which happens sometimes or just doesn't get added.  MP3Tag allows me that flexibility to fix that.

Again, others mileage may vary, but I will continue to use MP3Tag because, for me, it is a necessary program within my arsenal of music converters and editors.

Edited by Orville