Light-O-Rama Forums

Grounding - PC kits

TomD

I just completed my first LOR PC kit. I installed the kit in an enclosure that I had, basically a plastic toolbox. It's a bit of a tight fit, but not too bad. I realized after I finished it that the instructions for the "full kit" that comes with the enclosure shows the strain relief bracket being used as the grounding bar. I didn't have enough room to install a separate grounding bar. I attached the ground wires to the mounting bolt that secures the pc board to the enclosure through the heat sink. Does anyone see this as a problem? I don't see any direct electrical path from the heat sink to the pc board, other than the point at which it touches the triacs for heat sinking. If for some reason I had a direct path to ground, would this fry the triacs? I don't think it would but I'm looking for some confirmation. I haven't powered up yet and would like to fix this if it's a problem before I do. Thanks in advance for your help.

Wow. 24 views and no answers. I guess I have everybody thinking. I wondered if anyone would have an answer to this one. I'll wait and see if someone comes up with something tonight.