Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Lights Which Type? Mega Tree

Theyork5

Building my first mega tree this year and am looking at using LED lights as they match the length I need for my tree. 70 count LED lights on 4-in. spacing. So when I start looking at lights I see M5 and M6 which both look like traditional incandescent lights and I understand that M6 are just oversized M5 lights.  My understanding is about 1mm in length.  I also see the 5mm conical LED lights which seem to be a favorite as they provide good 360 degree viewing.  My question to everyone is what are you using and why?

What are you recommendations?  Do I need to stay with M5 or M6 lights or are the 5mm just fine?

I used C6 last year because that is what I had.  I liked the way they looked.  Nice and bright.  I use C6 on my house also

Mine are M6. Reason: I like the incan look but dont like incans. M6 because where I bought mine, they sold M6. Thats it in a nutshell for my mega. All the rest ofmy display is pixels or RGB

C6 for me, tried rope lights, m5's.  My mega tree is 20ft high and even at only 16 strands looked good, last year I doubled it and WOW.  This year I will use 48 strands.  C6 seem to be big without being too big and they are bright.

As caniac and Joe previously mentioned, C6 style works great. I love em.

I have them on my 35' mega tree (all four colors of 20,000 ct), on my mini trees (white of 200 ct ea) and C6 icicles (all four colors) along the eve of my house. And then some blue on the fence.

Well I was going to show a pic but don't have enough space.

Edited by Santas Helper

Well I was going to show a pic but don't have enough space.

upload it to photobucket and just put the link here, the pic will show up.

Then here is a pic of me and my C6 mega tree strands in the back of my truck.

192 strands of 100 ct strings (R,W,B,G)

Then I have a 30' pole of white C6 wrapped around the pole and standing in the center of the mega tree., Then the star.

DSC03576_zpse1f04967.jpg

Then here is a pic of me and my C6 mega tree strands in the back of my truck.

192 strands of 100 ct strings (R,W,B,G)

Then I have a 30' pole of white C6 wrapped around the pole and standing in the center of the mega tree., Then the star.

DSC03576_zpse1f04967.jpg

is that what you guys call a small tree?

Wow!  That is a great tree and looks great...35' is outside of my first attempt but could be a goal in a few years.

Spent some more time looking at millions of websites that sell lights and found some traditional incandescent lights that will match up with the length I need for the tree.  20' tall with about a 7' radius and I am looking at doing 3 colors (R, W, G) on sixteen channels each.  This upgrade has to include controllers and all new lights so I have to keep the budget in mind as we go.  What do you think about using standard mini-lights with this size tree and 32 strands per color?

Wow!  That is a great tree and looks great...35' is outside of my first attempt but could be a goal in a few years.

Spent some more time looking at millions of websites that sell lights and found some traditional incandescent lights that will match up with the length I need for the tree.  20' tall with about a 7' radius and I am looking at doing 3 colors (R, W, G) on sixteen channels each.  This upgrade has to include controllers and all new lights so I have to keep the budget in mind as we go.  What do you think about using standard mini-lights with this size tree and 32 strands per color?

you have to factor in the cost of electricity to power the incan's, LED uses 1/10th the juice.

I completely agree that you need to factor in the cost difference in operation but at only 10,000 lights on the tree it would be less than $100 to operate at full power for six hours a day the entire season meaning my payback is close to seven years or the useful life of the LED lights which makes it a break even.

Don't get me wrong I want to move towards LED's and was hoping to make the jump with this tree as it helps with power requirements but I just cant justify the expense right now.  With after Christmas sales or pre-buy it could make sense so there is alway next year to upgrade.

Any thoughts on the look of the tree?

It's just me but icans won't do justice to a mega tree IMHO.

I understand the budget thing.

One thing I hated about icans is the bulbs break easily or a strand goes out because a bulb burned out or loosened up.

With a 20' footer, that's a lot of lights to bang against each other putting them up, taking them down and storing them.

They get tangled up when breaking them out the next year, especially with 10,000 lights. I always hated that.

Icans will still look okay with a mega tree. it's just a preference thing.

I myself like the glow/color of the LED bulbs.

Also,

Paul from CDI http://www.creativedisplays.com/ is having a weekly sale for the next couple months starting next week. 10 items in 10 weeks type a deal. Chances are he will have his LED strands on sale some time in that period. BUT, he sells icans as well.

I would seriously check it out. Email him about the special. He's a great person to work with too.

Creative Displays 
Countdown to Christmas

10 products, 10 weeks, 
10 Opportunities to Save
Looking to save an additional 20% on holiday lighting and accessories?  Our Countdown to Christmas Sale lets you do just that.  Countdown to Christmas is your ten-week opportunity to save even more on our already low factory-direct, wholesale pricing.

When?
Each week from September 9th to November 11th Creative Displays will offer a specific product/category at 20% savings for 5 days only. Here's a list of the upcoming weekly sale dates along with the featured products.

What?
Sept. 9 - LED Whole House Lights
Sept. 16 - Retro-fit C7 and C9 Lamps
Sept. 23 - Incandescent Mini Lights
Sept. 30 - Strobe Lights
Oct. 7 - Zip Cord and Plugs
Oct. 14 - Green Cord Spools
Oct. 21 - Installation Clips
Oct. 28 - Taiga Evergreens Residential Wreaths
Nov. 4 - Taiga Evergreens Residential Garland
Nov. 11 - LED Minibrites
S.gif
Check the list twice and be on the lookout for our weekly E-mail announcements beginning in September.

Have a safe Labor Day Weekend!
S.gif

I completely agree that you need to factor in the cost difference in operation but at only 10,000 lights on the tree it would be less than $100 to operate at full power for six hours a day the entire season meaning my payback is close to seven years or the useful life of the LED lights which makes it a break even.

Don't get me wrong I want to move towards LED's and was hoping to make the jump with this tree as it helps with power requirements but I just cant justify the expense right now.  With after Christmas sales or pre-buy it could make sense so there is alway next year to upgrade.

Any thoughts on the look of the tree?

for me my first year I used icans in my display, additional light bill was $400.  next year replaced with LED's and three times the lights, additional light bill was $75.  I hate paying the power company.