Light-O-Rama Forums

Can LOR be used to start a Fire?

Guest guest

Ok, Dan,
Dont try an electronic sparker, its overkill and pointless, you would have to have a computer to fire your cannon.

Use a bar-be-que sparker from Home Depot. They are like 6$.

Zac

Zac_Cutt wrote:

Ok, Dan,
Dont try an electronic sparker, its overkill and pointless, you would have to have a computer to fire your cannon.

Use a bar-be-que sparker from Home Depot. They are like 6$.

I thought the whole point was he wanted it computer controlled.

-Tim

Well if you are looking for a one-time light, take an ordinary match and wrap a fine wire around the tip. Send too much power through it so the wire burns up, and the match will light. I've done this to automate our fireworks show.

Mike

Well this is just a thought, and I claim no responsibility for how anyone uses it, but...

Plug a 9vDC power supply into your LOR channel, wire a model rocket igniter on to the end, and place this in, on or around the item you are trying to ignite. This would only work as a one time thing, but if you were trying to synch a fireworks show to music, this would work fine (in theory).

Art

Model rocket igniter? Only a one time shot. Mounted with alligator clips? Now to find a solenoid that acuates the gas. I wonder if I can find something off my wife's car when she's not around? I won't mention a 3 inch steel pipe, with a plate welded on the bottom, and a hole drilled through for the rocket ignigter to fit through. All you need is just a small amount of xxxxxxxx (word left out on purpose, I don't need someone blowing their hands off on my account), and you have a nice bang!

firefighterjason wrote:

Wow all of the comments here make me want to put on a fire safety course, free to PC members...

LOL throw a cool-sounding engineering problem my way and I'm happy to try to solve it. Just don't come back to me with the consequences when you try to implement it :laughing:.

-Tim

• 11 months later...

Zak,

I’m sure you’d figure this out anyway…

Just use the pilot light, gas valve and igniter from an electric gas furnace and run propane through it. Energize the gas valve (remember its 24 VAC) which releases gas to the pilot venturi supplies power to the igniter. This in turn lights the candle. Now you just need to figure out the electronic snuffer.:]

I'm looking at doing something for halloween so a furnace gas controller will work/ How do I get a large ball of fire to go up into the air with a limited size tube through the controller.

tfischer wrote:

Wow, this thread got woke up from the dead almost exactly a year later!

Wow, that’s interesting. I didn’t do it on purpose. It showed up at the top of the resent list. I never even noticed the date. I didn’t expect to.:shock:

I can't decide if this is the funniest, or scariest thread I've had the pleasure of reading since I became a PC member... Potato cannon?!? Didn't EAB or someone want a modified version of this to shoot candy canes? (...at people?!?!?)

ROTFL

jeff

tfischer wrote:

LOL throw a cool-sounding engineering problem my way and I'm happy to try to solve it. Just don't come back to me with the consequences when you try to implement it :laughing:.

-Tim

I read this line and laughed 'till I cried and my side hurt! The dog is looking at me with his head turned to one side!!! :]

jeff

CLose a 12V relay to a squib (like a model rocket igniter) inserted into a bottle rocket (or LARGER) to fire when you send the command via LOR.

I am thinking of setting up 64 channels of rockets to shoot at vandals who sniff around the yard after hours.

:)

RW