Light-O-Rama Forums

Can LOR be used to start a Fire?

Guest guest

Can LOR make a spark to light a candle? Their is a song called Light a candle by AVALON and I think it would be cool to light a few candles durring that song. I am not concerned about starting a fire becaues this time of year always has a little wind so the candle could not stay lit with out a re-light every so often.

--Daniel L

You would be better off just buying a wireframe candle or some lighted candle of sort to get the effect. If you want a small candle just get one with a flicker flame bulb.. looks real enough.

I'm thinkin' you may want to first check to see if a spark can light a candle because (a) a spark may not be hot enough to light a wick and (:) if the air conducts electricity better than a wax-laden wick, the spark may well go around the wick.

Buy, light bulbs that look like candle-flames. There are flicker bulbs and just plain bulbs that are shaped and colored to look like flames. But them in electronic window candle sticks, and you'll be all set.

Good luck,

T.

There would be ways to make LOR create a spark. But as others have mentioned, it would be hard to light a candle with a spark. I also think it's a bit scary to have an unattended candle in a display (assuming you're not going to sit and watch it every second).

I think a flicker-flame candle might be the best (and certainly the easiest) option.

-Tim

LOL the funny part is I designed a way to use lor to do this sort of thing unsing some parts from a furnace about a month ago.. The whole idea for it though was to light a gas flame.. not a candle.

Hey Tim, that slip ring is coming along... I started a new one tonight cause I was bored :P

Zac

Zac_Cutt wrote:

LOL the funny part is I designed a way to use lor to do this sort of thing unsing some parts from a furnace about a month ago.. The whole idea for it though was to light a gas flame.. not a candle.

Hey Tim, that slip ring is coming along... I started a new one tonight cause I was bored :P

Zac

He worries me.. He is either going to be the next Bill Gates or the next Unabomber. :}

Zac,
Then you could use LOR to fire a potato gun. In fact I can see it now. People drive up and 16 potato guns are all set to go off. LOR activates the starter and BANG french fries everywhere!

Robin wrote:

People drive up and 16 potato guns are all set to go off. LOR activates the starter and BANG french fries everywhere!

21 Potato Gun Salute! A tribute to who have fallen so that we, the public, can eat.

Thank you, Mr. Potato.

So I probaly will use flicker-flame candles. But the work potato canon has rung a bell! So back to the topic, does any one make sparks with LOR? (not counting burning , or blowing up a controller!) LOL. I have a few devices that might actually work.. Potato cannon is NEXT for me! Already in the planning!

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

So I probaly will use flicker-flame candles. But the work potato canon has rung a bell!  So back to the topic, does any one make sparks with LOR? (not counting burning , or blowing up a controller!) LOL. I have a few devices that  might actually work.. Potato cannon is NEXT for me! Already in the planning!
Easiest way to do it would be to acquire a sparker mechanism, as found in many furnaces and gas stoves/ranges. It will keep sparking as long as power is applied... Both our kitchen range and furnace have such a device...-Tim

My request: Once you figure this out, please install your LOR boxes away from your home. Then when you have the fire sale, they won't be damaged -- and I can buy them from you. (Grin)

Good luck,

T

ok, if you figure out how to start a flame, how are you going to make sure it goes out when you need it to. Also if you are going to light the same candle multiple times in one evening you will most lickely have to go out daily and make sure that the flame is still going to hit the wick. After a couple of days or even one day that wick will be too low for your flame.

I personally would use one of those lights that has a cloth above it that moves so that it looks like a flame is actually flickering. I know that someone just posted a pic of there nativity with one of these in it. I just can't find that post now.

I just dont like the chance of any flames going unattended.

I will NOT be using LOR anymore for christmas sparks but.....

Tim,

I dont have access to a gas oven or self lighting fireplace to see an ignighter. So if I got one at HD as a spare part could I use it?

Already on the list of devices that use a lighter I might use LOR for...

1. tennis ball morter

2. fire kite

3. film can connon

4. spud gun comming to Plymouth, Minnesota in summer 2006! (not the whole thing just the spud part!)

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

I dont have access to a gas oven or self lighting fireplace to see an ignighter. So if I got one at HD as a spare part could I use it?

I'm not sure how much more advising I should do on this project without consulting my lawyer :laughing:.

If you know an appliance guy, you might score one for free. I don't think HD carries parts like that but I could be wrong. If it doesn't you'd need to try an appliance parts place, or a junkyard (the latter being much cheaper...)

-Tim