Light-O-Rama Forums

Backwards Compatibility Issues

JF1993

Hi everyone,

A few days ago I posted a link to my new sequence "Breakfast Machine," and I'm working with someone who ran into a problem opening the file. I programmed the sequence in Light-O-Rama Sequence Editor version 3.9. The person I'm working with has Light-O-Rama Sequence Editor version 2.9. Does anyone have any clues as to why they wouldn't be able to open/run the sequence on their computer? I've been doing some research and haven't found any ideas on how to fix this yet, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

JF1993

Sequences created on 3.x that use new features can not be opened on 2.x or lower versions of the software.

Channel Groups is one new feature in 3.x that will prevent it from opening in 2.x. There may be others, but that is the one I recall from my testing some time ago.

Sequences saved in a higher version are not guaranteed to work in a lower version.  S2 (in this case) will do its best to try to open it, but apparently is not working for that sequence.  The other person will need to upgrade to S3 to use your sequence, or you'll need to install 2.9.4 on a different computer and re-do the sequence.

Going the other way is never an issue (lower to higher).

(edit:  Don the Ninja got me!)

Sequences created on 3.x that use new features can not be opened on 2.x or lower versions of the software.

Channel Groups is one new feature in 3.x that will prevent it from opening in 2.x. There may be others, but that is the one I recall from my testing some time ago.

I did use channel groups in this particular sequence, so maybe if I take them off it will fix the problem.

Do the special effect options also cause problems? like twinkle fade up.

I did use channel groups in this particular sequence, so maybe if I take them off it will fix the problem.

Do the special effect options also cause problems? like twinkle fade up.

The Twinkle Fade _shouldn't_ cause a problem. Just keep in mind the fact that it was created in 3.x might end up giving you problems on 2.x in various ways.