Light-O-Rama Forums

For the new folks

Ron Boyd

Best way to load an SD Card using any directr unit is via the Hardware Utility.  Go to the MP3 Tab in the HWU and load the sequences you want for your show, then create your show.   There are options there for you to set show times before you save the show.  You can create up to 9 different shows using the HWU.   Also the HWU, you can browse to ANY folder/directory/sub-directory to enter your sequences to create a show.  

You can use the SSB {Simple Show Builder}, but it IS NOT as versatile as the HWU for doing shows on an SD Card,   You can set your shows only on the hour or half hour mark in the SSB the HWU, you can set it for ANY TIME you want.

Good Luck!

I'm a noob, I admit, 16 Channel control, Basic software, but this is so much fun. My question is in regards to creating sequences, with my limited software package:

1. Is it easier to use the tap wizard or a set timing?
  2. When you are looking at making a sequence, how do you break down the song, just a couple of seconds at a time or more?
  3. Are the audio wizards worth making the step up to better software, do they really make it any eaiser?

Any help or suggestions are more than greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm a noob, I admit, 16 Channel control, Basic software, but this is so much fun. My question is in regards to creating sequences, with my limited software package:

1. Is it easier to use the tap wizard or a set timing?
  2. When you are looking at making a sequence, how do you break down the song, just a couple of seconds at a time or more?
  3. Are the audio wizards worth making the step up to better software, do they really make it any eaiser?

Any help or suggestions are more than greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have the advanced license and use all the wizards {except the Midi, but have played around with it}.

Answer to #1: I use both a fixed timing and the wizards to set the liights, then when I use the wizards, I do go back and clean them up, as they are not always spot on, or they may not turn a light/prop on long enough either.

Answer to #2: I usually do mine using what I can see on the screen by highlighting the waveform and using the space bar to start/stop the song, most often this is about 20-30 seconds in length.

Answer to #3: I would say it's definitely worth the advanced license that opens all wizards, and as your display grows, you don't have to worry about {or forget} that your current licens level may not support all the controllers you've added.   Advanced has unlimited capabilities in just about all aspects, so to me, within 3 weeks of gettin my Basic+, I moved up to Advanced and very happy I did.   In my opinion it was well worth the investment.  Mainly because it opens so much more versatilty with what you can do with your show.

Hope this info helps some.

And welcome to the LOR Addiction! :D

• Like 1

good to know 

i was thinking after this season changing my licence to the advanced so i can have full access of my software

the copy i got here basic+ includes the  superstar software

• 2 weeks later...

You will also need the USB485 adapter to connect the network cable to the controller. Take a look in the LoR store at the starter packages under the Light Controllers section for a list of what you need to get started. The Starter packs have everything you need.

BTW, I highly recommend CAT5e cable instead of Cat5 for the extra shielding. You will have many power cords and wires running around and the extra shielding helps ensure no interference in the signal.

-Paul

If you get the Cat5e cables, cut off the plastic protective boots from the ends; it will help greatly as you thread them into the controllers.

Jumping in for Xmas 2014. Friend of mine is in neck deep with all this and is dragging me along now for the ride. Lol. Have a small static display this year of about 3000 lights and am planning on adding a lor controller to it for next year. Downloaded software last night and spent about 8 hours learning basic stuff and starting to sequence a song with a basic idea of where stuff is going to go based on where it is this year on the house. Went out and snapped photos of the stuff out there now to put into the visualizer. Very excited about next season already and I haven't even taken anything down from outside yet. Hahaha.

Jumping in for Xmas 2014. Friend of mine is in neck deep with all this and is dragging me along now for the ride. Lol. Have a small static display this year of about 3000 lights and am planning on adding a lor controller to it for next year. Downloaded software last night and spent about 8 hours learning basic stuff and starting to sequence a song with a basic idea of where stuff is going to go based on where it is this year on the house. Went out and snapped photos of the stuff out there now to put into the visualizer. Very excited about next season already and I haven't even taken anything down from outside yet. Hahaha.

If you post some pictures of your house, I bet you'll get lots of advice; some actually usable.

You're in for a fun ride and we'll be right there by your side.

Ok got a question, i downloaded a sequence, it shows up as a LSV file under the downloads, how do i import this into the sequencer?

I down loaded the sequence form here....https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6gSkzp9OlvuV3FmaEtBY19HMUU&usp=sharing. Looks as though there are a couple different file types, LSV and LMS. SO i need to have the LMS then?

Ok screwed up that post.

I down loaded the file from here...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6gSkzp9OlvuV3FmaEtBY19HMUU&usp=sharing        

It has two different file types LMS and LSV. I need the LMS to work work right?

Ok i figured it out. Only issue i have is some of the sequences have more then the 32 channels i will be using for the main lights.

Mickey:

why not get both the controllers during the summer sale and just concentrate on sequencing now, re-download the software as there have a been a few changes/upgrades over the past 5 years,

when you get the controllers I suggest getting the starter pack.

• 2 weeks later...

What have I got myself into here?  Been reading post and I think I have found the string of loonies I have been looking for. I should fit right in here. I'm new at this but have 40 years of low voltage wiring experience so I'm a thinkin I'll be able to handle this.

My main intent is low voltage landscape lighting but I am going to build in the options for light shows through out the holidays as I go. looking around I'm a bit lost so I decided to start here. I have questions on wiring for shows, I am putting underground pipe (for lights) in a current project I have going in my back yard. This project is planned to include several hundred foot od retaining wall (both manufactured block and very large natural boulders stacked), two yard ponds, a couple waterfalls and other water features connecting the two ponds, two large decks and if all goes right a in ground swimming pool. First of all I will be installing flood lights at several locations to highlight trees but would also like to install the wire needed to power Christmas lights in that area. I at this point am guessing that I need at least one lead or a pair of leads for each function to be controlled separately.

So were is the best place here to learn more about the wiring needs for lights, Being a telephone man I have access to wire which is normally 22 gauge but can be a little larger which has as little as 50 wires in it but can have up to several hundred connections in it.

Some body push me in the right direction, really I don't mind a gentle push or even a slap across the head if it gets me headed down the right path.

I'm sure that a single pair would not power much but I can double up the pairs to provide a little more copper for the circuit.

• 8 months later...