Light-O-Rama Forums

For the new folks

Ron Boyd

To all the new lighting enthusiasts, Welcome.

I'm not one to stir the pot by any means, but I have to here.

Been reading a bunch of posts of folks just now ordering their equipment. Now before I say what I want to say, I started my first year in June with 32 channels, and that was all.

It is possible to achieve a show in 4 months if you don't bite off more than you can chew. I started my 2nd year in January, when my lights came down. I started this year's show in November of last year when my show went live.

That being said, there is a lot more to this hobby than just ordering a couple of controllers and slapping together a show. If you want your show to be something you're proud of, it takes time and effort on your part.

There are a lot of folks that are a lot of help and have a lot of knowledge on these forums. BUT, remember, these folks including myself are getting down to crunch time very soon, so the help you ask for may be slim. I'm sure I speak for a lot of folks when I say, I'm behind in my show as to where I wanted to be at this time. I know my involvement in helping folks is getting ready to dwindle so I can finish up building and testing my elements.

Sequencing can take 2-20 hours for a song, some even 2-10 hours per minute. Elements take time to design, gather materials and actually build. Most light vendors have already had their sales this year. There are a lot of resources for sequences out there, but you still have to take time to tweak them to your display.

So with all that said, don't get discouraged if you just starting, but keep a realistic goal. Don't expect to put together a show that includes E1.31, DMX, Pixels, RGB, and 112 channels or more. If you're wanting to start a show like that, I suggest you wait til next year. A lot of us are going to be scarce in the next few weeks and months leading up to showtime.

Just some friendly advice.

Again welcome and good luck with your shows this year.

Edit by Dan Baldwin owner of Light O Rama. 

This is good advice. It is never too late to get started but as stated starting small and growing every year is the way most people develop their displays. We have over 100 sequences available in the sequence store which makes setting up a display pretty easy. There are instructions on how to setup the lights to best match the sequences. Even if you make your own sequences you still have plenty of time but you do need to get started. 

There are plenty of people who will have time to answer questions in the forums, Watch the video tutorials about getting started as that will help you ask better questions. We have a help desk that has many full time employees monitoring it and of course we have phone support. 

Best of luck to newbies and as always we really appreciate the help that people in the forums provide to newbies every year. 

• Like 18

Agreed! I doubled my show size for this year and it started in December of last year. Best wishes now on with the show

As a 2nd year newbee    I fully agree with what Ron said above,   but go ahead and ask the questions, just don't expect immediate answers and most of all have fun with it. ( and remember the  search is your friend  :) , not to mention watching idea's you haven't thought of yet!)    

No Don, there will be help, but it will be "slim pickins" {pun intended}. :P  :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.

But Ron is correct, it does seem this is the time of year many new folks come into this hobby and then have a million questions or want sequences that are already done, however, those "completed sequences" are not and will not be "canned" or "set" to any specific display other than the one it was designed for.     Yes, the sequence can help you "learn" how the sequencer did it for their display, however, to fit another display may mean rearrangement of channels, elements names and even tweaking it up for your own personal display.  And this can still take a lot of hours to rearrange, tweak and modify it to "your display!"

So don't expect this to be something you can just come into, buy equipment and start a show within a couple of hours, it does take many hours of work, learning and even those of us that started this years ago, continue to learn because of new technology, new lighting options and even new techniques that someone may come up with on how to sequence in a new or different way, some may work better for you, some may not. 

SUGGESTION:  If you want a quick show around this time of year {mid August 2013 through January 1, 2014}, invest in a Mr. Christmas unit and use that while you learn your LOR equipment and software capabilities.  At least Mr. Christmas unit will give you a musical lightshow, just not as elaborate as LOR can do, but will get you something at this stage while you learn LOR.

But please, if you don't receive an answer in a short time, don't think we are ignoring you, we aren't, we're just busy with our own show and tweaking, building, modifying, or working on our own shows, that we just don't have the amount of time It takes to offer detailed advice.

And many things can be found if you do a search for them using Google, Bing, etc.   Just don't rely too much on the forum search engine, as much as it's right in front of you, you may or may not find what you're looking for using the forums search engine.

Welcome to the hobby and best of luck.   Just don't get frustrated if you don't get an immediate answer to a question.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 3

Ask those questions. Some of us come here daily, even at Christmas.

I check the forums on my lunch at work.

There are no stupid questions. (use the search first in case it has been answered already).

Even when I had 32 channels it would take me 8 hours to program one minute of a song.

To improve your search results, use the Dogpile Advanced Search engine; type in the search arguments ("ccr setup", etc) then point it to Forums.Lightorama.Com and Fetch the results.

You'll be pleasantly surprised how well it works.

• Like 2

I didn't mean that we won't try to help. Most of us will. It may just be a little longer wait to get the answer you were looking for. PaulXmas is right, I also try to visit at least once a day and I'm in the ongoing process of helping someone with pixels right now. When "Crunch time" comes around, which is soon for me, as Orville said, It will be "Slim Pickens". Dusty72 said it right, "Above all, Have fun"

Happy lighting all.

Ken, thanks for reminding me about Dogpile. I forgot all about that search engine.

Doh!!! :blink:  :wacko: I just finished a sequence a little while ago and looked at it right before I hit Post, 208,942 KB. My biggest one yet. My first one over 1 MB and it's over 2MB.

• Like 1

I also check in here as well, and always try to help when, or if I can, right down to sharing my sequences to help someone get started.    So by no means were any of us saying we won't help, just that during crunch time, unlike other times of the year, answers won't come as quickly.   During the summer answers are sometimes posted within a couple of minutes or within an hour or so, during the operating and set up season, those answers may not come for several hours or even a day or two.

Again, no one is ignoring the question, it just may not have been read or seen, but as soon as someone that sees it can answer it, an answer, if one is available will eventually appear.   Just don't expect the same immediate results you may have seen earlier in the season, have a little patience and someone will eventually get an answer to you.

EDIT: Yes, thanks Ken.  I never knew of Dogpile.    Sure seems to be much better than either Google or Bing!   Favorited that one from your link.

Edited by Orville

This time of year I would be more inclined to have someone contact a LOR business partner.  I waited too long my first year so I went to WoWLights and ordered their 32 channel starter kit.  I knew I wanted a mega tree and ten mini's but other than that I was open.  The starter kit came with everything I needed (except miles of extension cords) plus my choice of 5 sequences.  I bought 5 more 32 channel versions and that was how it was my first year.  After that and seeing other display's here the lights started coming one, the first week of January I started on that next years Christmas show and tinkered with Halloween.

I started working on sequences in January and I am still 6 minutes from completion of a 30 minute show! :blink:

I started in the beginning 5 years ago with 16 channels and then 32, 48 then... now over 500!

The sequencing time increased by 500! :huh:

Agree,,, Don't bite off more than you can chew and have fun along the way!

This hobby takes a long time to plan and execute. sequencing is a pain but without it you just as well use a mr Christmas.one thingI would like to add,lots of folks offer their time so a thank you goes a long way as well.welcome newbies welcome,have fun read up, ask questions,and get ready for a great ride

Don't forget, lots of extension cords and/or zip cord!

Also what may happen near Halloween, someone's video goes viral and we get flooded with a lot of brand new noobies that want a setup that's basically plug and play and want it now.  Tempers may get a little hot and the forum admin have been cracking down to keep this to a minimum.  So you current newbies please put some thought into your questions and ask pointed questions. 

Welcome to the addiction!

I agree.  This is my second year.  Thanks to all the help last year (I started in May) I was able to put on a show I was proud of.  There is NO way I would be just starting.  Once you get the one controller.... it grows to two, then three and now I have 9.  Then you test it...you don't like it.... you change it... I spent more time this year in the "planning" stage.  Hated all the changing of elements last year.  But this year I am behind.  Life keeps getting in my way.... don't people realize the lights go on in about 90 days???????  Only have 3 sequences done... one video... and my new props aren't built except the 16 foot mega tree.  But... I know I did find help here...Its a wonderful addicti-- er hobby,  but I have to get back to work on the sequencing... was just taking a break to check in. 

Get out now before it becomes an obsession.

Oh sure, that first sixteen channels will be just fine. Fun even. But you'll need more. And then THAT won't be enough. You'll need Pixels! You'll spend your summers in the basement engulfed in the sickly sweet smell of solder flux, hot melt glue, and heat shrink tubing. Friends will notice the callouses from thousands of tie wraps. The paranoid look in your eyes as the holidays approach and YOU HAVEN'T GOT ENOUGH!

You consider quitting cold turkey. Or entering rehab.

Then the children dance up the front steps to use your front porch as a stage and become part of the show.

A warm tear runs down your cheek.

And you begin planning next year's show.

Maybe I don't want out after all.

• Like 1

IF you were new, and wanted to dazzle...FOLLOW the typical show setup and layout...which can be found on the LOR site. Now, once you have that down, you can purchase equipment...you just need money.  If you are doing up to 128 channels, Wowlights has professionally done sequences that follow the TYPICAL setup, and you could wow the neighborhood. If you are doing up to 48 channels, you can buy sequences from many a places, as well as the sheer amount of free sequences that are out there to choose from.    So really, all that you need is the money for lights, equipment, and sequences...go on...DO IT...help the economy! It is the American thing to do!   

I am a newbee this season, and in time hope to be where most of you are. I started with the basic package and have 2 controllers. I have over 15,000 lights and hoping the 2 controllers will do most. I'm not ready to do every single thing. I purchased some RGB lights thinking they were just red, green, and blue but to my pleasant supposed I feel like I struck gold lol. I purchased quite a few Ready-to-Go sequences since I know I have no idea on how to make a sequence. Too Hi Tech for me right now. I tested those so far and excited to see them in action outside. I already have it planned what is going in what plug number, etc and I think I have the number of amps all figured out where ill b ok.

So, with 2 controllers, FM transmitter, and Ready to Go sequences, I feel I will be efficient enough to start this season. If anyone has any ideas or other tips or think I don't have enough to start, all opinions are appreciated--good or bad.

Good luck to All and thanks!

Ron well said... thank you for sharing and hopefully this will help others joining our wonderful community.

---Michael