San Devices E6804 and LOR

Jim- they are referring to a network switch.  Some users also use their house router for this.  

Show PC---> router/ switch----> E680X controller(s).  All connected w/ RJ45 Ether net cable.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can someone point me to a PDF, tutorial, or anything on how to use LOR with a San Devices E6804?   Having NO luck in getting the device to control my pixels.   The device will go thru its test okay..b

Ok open your control panel and click network prefrences. Click the dmx tab and select the advanced button on the right (if your not already in the advanced mode) click one of the universes on the left

I think I am in BUSINESS!!!!  Got the Listener Window and it says it is connected.  Thanks SWood!!!!    (I keep forgetting about those pesky Network Preferences!!)   Working on another Christmas Dis

Have another question...I want to use several E6804's...which each need to plug into a LAN connection to the computer.

My Laptop (Show Computer) has only one LAN connection...

Do they sell Hubs (like for USB Connections) so you can have more than one LAN Connection?

Have another question...I want to use several E6804's...which each need to plug into a LAN connection to the computer.

My Laptop (Show Computer) has only one LAN connection...

Do they sell Hubs (like for USB Connections) so you can have more than one LAN Connection?

You would need a network switch to use several of the E6808's. it would work pretty much like your USB hub would. Just more ports to plug more stuff into!

there is a time out box on the sandevices web page jim type 0 in that box then click update system info

Yeah...that has always been set to zero...

Jim-

Absolutely!!    the "hubs" are called Network Switches usually have a minimum of 4 ports and up to 48.  Average for home use is around 8 ports.  They can be got from numerous sources.  Fry's(in Renton), Best Buy, Amazon, eBay.  I do suggest you buy your first one from someplace you can see it, put yours hands on it, and ask questions about it.  Usual cost is around $18- $30 for a 5 port.   Don't get a "wireless" router/switch.  They usually can't keep up with the amount of data sent. 

Sample- Fry's- LINK,  Best Buy--LINK.

I use E681's and have found a small Ethernet switch that runs on 5vdc.  I can power it off of the E681 axillary power tap so I can put it in the same enclosure as the E681 and use it to daisy chain my E681's and E6804.

You would need a network switch to use several of the E6808's. it would work pretty much like your USB hub would. Just more ports to plug more stuff into!

Like the USB Hubs, do these come Powered and Unpowered? If so, which one is best?

I'm using the E682 and I believe the 6804 operates the same. If you haven't done so you need to set your network preferences to E1.31 "Multicast".  If that doesn't work, then should check your network switch or router to make sure it isn't blocking multicast messaging.

If you haven't done so you need to set your network preferences to E1.31 "Multicast".  If that doesn't work, then should check your network switch or router to make sure it isn't blocking multicast messaging.

And where and how does one do that?

Hey, keep us informed on your progress and solution(s).

Was waiting to talk with Michael from HiTechLights when I did something Jim from San Devices suggested (see below)...and it worked for being able to use my laptop (as I was NEVER able to connect to it)...still need to try it on my desktop...as of right now it has stayed connected on my laptop for over 6 minutes...

Hi Jim, OK, let's try a different setup.  Disconnect the Ethernet cable from yourpc, then restart the pc.  Wire a direct connection form one E6804 to thePC.  Turn on power to the E6804 and wait at least 5 seconds.  Press andhold the PROG button.  After a few seconds the red and green leds willstart flashing on and off together. Wait until the 4th red/green flash and then release the PROG button. Start your web browser, and type 169.254.74.73 in the address bar. This *should* bring up the web page.  If so, type 169.254.74.73 as the newIP address and click SAVE SYSTEM INFO. Verify that you can click the REFRESH PAGE button and see the up-timetimer increase.  Leave the system in this configuration for a while andsee if it remains stable. -jim-
Edited by jimswinder
  • Like 1

Thanks to Michael Simmons and Jim from San Devices I am up and running.

A HUGE thanks to them both for spending the time and effort to get me educated and up and running...

I'd like to shout out a big thanks to my poopsy, Jim :wub:  for doing all this troubleshooting so that he can help me get up and running quickly when all my stuff arrives.   :lol:  :P  ;)

You're quite welcome Jim! It was a pleasure working with you....

---Michael

I'm sure I'll have other issues..so don't go to far away from your computer!!!  :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Similar question here. I am planning to usef an LOR CTBPC16 this year to drive 16 AC channels and use a SanDevices E682 to drive four non-LOR RGB pixel arches. I am not sure how to configure the CAT5 signal to the E682. Do I need to "split" the CAT5 downstream of the LOR-supplied USB RS485 dongle? Or can I just route a CAT5 directly from my PC or from our home's internet router? If I am reading some of these posts correctly, it looks like my PC and E682 both need to be hardwired to my router?? Thanks very much in advance.

You can either connect it to your router, straight to your network card or install a second network card for the e.131 data only. (which is what I did) DO NOT connect it to your LOR USB485 network!

Similar question here. I am planning to usef an LOR CTBPC16 this year to drive 16 AC channels and use a SanDevices E682 to drive four non-LOR RGB pixel arches. I am not sure how to configure the CAT5 signal to the E682. Do I need to "split" the CAT5 downstream of the LOR-supplied USB RS485 dongle? Or can I just route a CAT5 directly from my PC or from our home's internet router? If I am reading some of these posts correctly, it looks like my PC and E682 both need to be hardwired to my router?? Thanks very much in advance.

i have this same setup im using the e682 for 4 strings around my house andthe ctb16 for 16 ac stuff the ctb is connected via the dongle and the e682 is connected vid the Ethernet port on my laptop works a treat..

Network ports on a laptop can have a time out per say. It is a means to save battery power. Might open the start button, then the settings button and control panel and then hardware and network card. Look for a power saving setting such as turn off this device to save power.