Light-O-Rama Forums

Working with Computer Homegroups - LMS and LVS - Bug with 3.10.6?

jimswinder

This probably not an LOR problem..but I don't know.

I have a laptop and desktop.

I use my laptop downstairs while my desktop is upstairs and I can access files on my desktop, as long as it is turned on.

I have an .LMS file on my desktop...I know it is there, I have checked several times...but when I try to access it from my laptop all I can see is the LSV file...even though I can see other LMS files..

But the only LMS files I can see were all added/created SINCE I upgraded to 3.10.6....the file I want was actually created in 3.8.2.

Any ideas??

EDIT: Also....the file has an extension of .lms but under "File Type" it says it is an LSV??

EDIT Two:  I can copy and paste the .lms file from LOR>Sequences to My Documents (both still on my Desktop) and can open THAT file from my laptop...just not from the LOR folder...

Edited by jimswinder

Make sure that you have Windows Explorer is set to always show the full filename and not hide extensions for known filetypes.

Don't think that is the problem..see attached picture:

If you look at the 2013 Name The Snowman Contest 8-10-13.lms file...it says it is a file type of LSV..

and yet the 2013 Name The Snowman Contest 8-10-13.lms.lsv is ALSO an LSV file type...

first one should be an LMS file type...

Confirming you are seeing this in Windows Explorer or with something else?

Keeping in mind that I have not upgraded to 3.10 yet, so I can't likely help much.

yes...a screen shot from Windows...running Windows 7

and that is a screen shot from my laptop

here is a screenshot of the same folder from  my desktop. You can see that the .lms file shows up on my desktop...5th file down

Edited by jimswinder

Update:  Had a friend over who knows more about computers than I...

He found out how to fix my problem (see screen shot).

Basically just right mouse on the folder you want to use...click on "Share With" then click "Homegroup (Read/Write).

What I can't figure out still is why the .lms file would not show up...but yet the .lms.lsv would??? And why did this start happening? I was able to share in my Homegroup just fine before upgrading to 3.10.6.

In looking over the Sequence files..have another question.

Does LOR create a new .lsv file every time you save it?  For example: 

I have a filename.lms.lsv file

then a filename.lms.lsv.lsv file

and then another filename.lms.lsv.lsv.lsv file

Edited by jimswinder

Jim, The best way I've found is to use Dropbox or Skydrive. I access the files from all 4 PCs in the house using Dropbox. It's another path to take.

Yeah...I tried Dropbox several years ago...but used up my free amount of space in no time!!!  LOL

Will look again into Skydrive...

Update:  Had a friend over who knows more about computers than I...

He found out how to fix my problem (see screen shot).

Basically just right mouse on the folder you want to use...click on "Share With" then click "Homegroup (Read/Write).

What I can't figure out still is why the .lms file would not show up...but yet the .lms.lsv would??? And why did this start happening? I was able to share in my Homegroup just fine before upgrading to 3.10.6.

In looking over the Sequence files..have another question.

Does LOR create a new .lsv file every time you save it?  For example: 

I have a filename.lms.lsv file

then a filename.lms.lsv.lsv file

and then another filename.lms.lsv.lsv.lsv file

I still think you have "Hide Extension for Known File Types" enabled on one of the computers.

On the computer where this is enabled, a file actually called filename.lms.lsv would show up as filename.lms and would be confusing for sure.

Windows only considers the characters after the last "." in the file name to be the extension. So if you have a file called filename.lms.lms.lsv the "filename" is filename.lms.lms and the file extension is .lsv.

How could you be getting multiple .lms .lsv etc in the same name? Well, possibly when you are doing a Save (or Save As) you are including the file extension in the name. LOR is adding the file extension appropriate for whatever type of file you are saving to the name you typed in so the "final" name you end up with has an extra extension added to it.

Tony

I still think you have "Hide Extension for Known File Types" enabled on one of the computers.

On the computer where this is enabled, a file actually called filename.lms.lsv would show up as filename.lms and would be confusing for sure.

Windows only considers the characters after the last "." in the file name to be the extension. So if you have a file called filename.lms.lms.lsv the "filename" is filename.lms.lms and the file extension is .lsv.

Okay...even if this was the case...why wouldn't my .lms file be there with a file type of LMS??

Okay...even if this was the case...why wouldn't my .lms file be there with a file type of LMS??

Could it actually be named myfile.lsv.lms ? And if file extensions are hidden it appears to be named myfile.lsv?

I looked in my Sequences folder and I also have several filenames with multiple extensions, so I guess i'm not really sure either what's going on.

Contest Sequence 1.lms

Contest Sequence 1.lms.bak

Contest Sequence 1.lms.lcs

Contest Sequence 1.lms.lsv

Could it actually be named myfile.lsv.lms ? And if file extensions are hidden it appears to be named myfile.lsv?

I looked in my Sequences folder and I also have several filenames with multiple extensions, so I guess i'm not really sure either what's going on.

Contest Sequence 1.lms

Contest Sequence 1.lms.bak

Contest Sequence 1.lms.lcs

Contest Sequence 1.lms.lsv

Those are all supposed to be there...that is normal...

LAS is an Animation Sequence

.LMS is a Musical Sequence

.LSV is what saves your visual preferences (zoom level, etc) within the Sequence Editor.

.LCS is the compressed sequence. You won't edit this file. It's created by the software.

.LCC is the Light-O-Rama Channel Configuration file.

.SUP is a Superstar Editor file.

.BAK is a backup file. It's created every time you save a sequence. (Animation or Musical.)

all explained here:

http://www.lorfaq.com/faqs/general-faq/66-file-extensions-in-s3

Edited by jimswinder

Those are all supposed to be there...that is normal...

lms is your regular file

bak is the back up

looking for the others...

But what are the .lms.lsv and .lms.lsc? Are those properly named?

I did find this FAQ on file extention types but it does not have any with more than one "extension".

http://www.lorfaq.com/faqs/general-faq/66-file-extensions-in-s3.html

A listing of some of the file extensions used in S3.

.LAS is an Animation Sequence

.LMS is a Musical Sequence

.LSV is what saves your visual preferences (zoom level, etc) within the Sequence Editor.

.LCS is the compressed sequence. You won't edit this file. It's created by the software.

.LCC is the Light-O-Rama Channel Configuration file.

.SUP is a Superstar Editor file.

.BAK is a backup file. It's created every time you save a sequence. (Animation or Musical.)

If you have "Hide extensions for known file types" enabled, then you may not be working on the file you think you are.

Edited by TonyD

lms. is followed by either nothing (.lms, the file you will edit) or .lms.lsv (visual preferences) or .lms.lcs (the compressed sequence)...

I don't know why we end up with a lms.lsv.lsv.lsv files...

• 3 months later...

What is the extension of schedule files?  Where are they stored.

What files need to be transfered to a second computer to run existing schedules and shows?

Thanks

There are also permissions on each file and folder... Make sure there is no hidden files...

I used a network this year to build my show and it did cause some challenges as lightorama didn't know where the media files are. I really recommend using Teamviewer to remote control the master computer.

It makes building the shows and running the verifier easier. I had tons of problems after using my network to build the show.

Kip