Light-O-Rama Forums

Not sure what I need. I want to use existing DMX equipment in my show.

EvilM0nkey

I don't have any pixels to use yet. I do have a bunch of DJ type party lights that can run off of DMX control.

All I really want to do is step and sleep the devices on command. Is there a way to do this without spending hundreds on a controller?

If I could get down to movement and color control that would be nice, but I don't really need it.

Currently I can use up to 12 channels.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, the DJ type of lights can run just fine under LOR software, provided you have an Advanced license.

Cheapest way is to use the LOR USB 485 Converter with an adapter cable. Total cost about $45.

If you can make your own adapter cable, you can save $11.

You can use all of the channels in your DJ lights, including moving lights and their Pan and Tilt functions.

I'm planning to produce a video showing how to program movers using S3, but not complete yet.

Related forum posts: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/16319-supported-dmx-adapters/

Edited by Ken Benedict

Yes I have an advanced license that I just renewed yesterday. I happen to have extra USB 485s and I'll order the adapter today. Thank you!

I knew there had to be a cheaper solution!

And from what I see this will add channels to my existing setup rather than using them.

Thank you!

Yes I have an advanced license that I just renewed yesterday. I happen to have extra USB 485s and I'll order the adapter today. Thank you!

I knew there had to be a cheaper solution!

And from what I see this will add channels to my existing setup rather than using them.

Thank you!

These type of DMX devices use the computer to generate the DMX signal; as long as you have enough CPU power, it will work OK.

There are better types out there that generate their own (and are more reliable), but cost more: $50-$150 each.

Yes, the DJ type of lights can run just fine under LOR software, provided you have an Advanced license.

Cheapest way is to use the LOR USB 485 Converter with an adapter cable. Total cost about $45.

If you can make your own adapter cable, you can save $11.

You can use all of the channels in your DJ lights, including moving lights and their Pan and Tilt functions.

I'm planning to produce a video showing how to program movers using S3, but not complete yet.

Related forum posts: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/16319-supported-dmx-adapters/

Let me know when you have that video up. I have everything ready to hook up but it seems like I'm pretty clueless lol

A few steps closer. Thanks for the help so far!

Ok I got it all connected and FINALLY got the ports ironed out. I had to remove the COM ports and install the DMX port 1st, then the regular LOR port. I have the command window so I assume the DMX setup is correct. I can also control my other lights normally.

I still have a few issues

#1 I can't command the lights. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. I just have no idea what I'm doing... I tried to sweep a bunch of channels in the universe to see if something happened and nothing did.

#2 the lights are turning on randomly when connected to the network. As I type, about every 10 seconds they turn on and back off. It's just the Color Fusions not the DJ scans. The signal may be too fast for the DJ scan's to react.

You need to test your DMX output from the LOR dongle.

The Hardware Utility (HU) will not work with Raw DMX devices (yet), so use another piece of software called Lightsup.

This will let you test individual channels and even the moving lights. Yay.

I have used it with the LOR RS485 and it works just fine.

If it can't connect, then check your software drivers and com port assignments.

Related post: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/27415-dmx-adaptor-in-lor-network-preferences/?p=259711

I'm assuming the lights on the LOR network are running OK and it's just the second Raw DMX network that has problems.

Edited by Ken Benedict

Ok I got that part working now. Now I just have to figure out what does what and figure out what I need to set the addresses at to make it all work!

This is more complicated than I wanted, but I can make it work.

I decided I'm just going to use the 4 DJ lights on DMX. I'm going to put the light cans on the LOR controller, it'll just be easier that way.

Thanks

You still should install the Lightsup software because that's what you'll need to start programming the DJ lights.

That's where you will position them where you want them, then write the channel values down so you can transfer them into LOR S3.

When you say "I got that part working", do you mean the LOR part or the DMX part?

If you can get it to talk to the DJ lights, set the faders to where you want the beams to start and write the settings down.

Move the DJ light to where you want it next and write those settings down also.

In Sequence Editor, put in those channel values where you want them musically, and make them hold for 1 second or so.

In SE, put in your second set of channel values where you want also.

Now use the FILL tool and click in between each of those channels and the DJ light will smoothly move and change colors between those points.

Repeat for all the other color or location settings. And fill between those too.

The Visualizer won't show it and you may have to mount the DJ light in your yard and play around with it some evening.

That's the basics of programming moving lights in LOR.

Very new at this whole DMX but trying to figure out if there is an easy way to use what I already have. I already have a LOR RS485 that runs all of my LOR controllers.  Do I need another one to now add DMX to my setup?

• 4 weeks later...

It would be awesome to have a virtual DMX control board with sliders built into the S3 and you just select a DMX channel, hit record, start playing with the sliders, and it records into your sequence on the fly

Programming intensities is time consuming and painful and you have to stop and test all the time to see what's happening

Still, thanks LOR for including DMX

Anyone know of a 3rd party software for creating sequences for DMX devices that can be exported and then imported to LOR?

• The topic was locked