Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie questions on LOR controllers

Guest guest

Greetings. Now that this year's display is put away, I was researching a way to enhance my 10 year old hardwired light controller with a programmable one. I came across the Light-o-rama products. I also have some mechanical animation and plan to keep these as a static display on one 20 amp circuit.

My questions are thus, not seeing them in FAQ:

What is the operating temp range? (I would like to install (2) 16 channel units outside along with some other solid state relays where the only wire running inside is the RS485 wire). This can also replace that big obnoxious relay in the rafters that turns on the four 20A circuits simultaniously with a lamp timer.

What are the dimensions of a CDB-16 with heatsink and what mounting holes are provided?

I'm reading there is a software upgrade and need to order the software now where LOR keeps the RS-485 and 25 ft. cable to send with the hobbyist controller? How long do I have to do this?

The software isn't available on CD? I read you have to download it.

This is my first post. There are so many interesting topics, like one on Ferris wheels. Here I thought I was the only one to have one of those!

Hello! Welcome to Planet Christmas. If you would, please take a moment to update your profile. Knowing at least the state (and/or country) you reside will help others provide you with answers more suitable to your location.

I can't speak to the operating tempratures. I know people use LOR in Minnesota, and in Florida/Texas. I've yet to hear of a problem.

The dimensions are in the FAQ. The mounting holes are not. I can't describe it from memory, though. There are four holes on the corners though.

There is a software upgrade coming, yes. You don't _have_ to order it now, but Dan has publicy said the price will go up. We don't know (and I don't think Dan knows either) how long you have. Second thought, I think I read it will be after April. (I could be dead wrong.)

The software is indeed available only by download. You can easily burn a copy to CD for safekeeping, though.

Again, welcome to PC! You'll find plenty of people here willing to help.

Thank you. I updated the profile after reading in the 'introduce yourself' forum.

I have access to NEMA cabinets used in roadside weather collecting stations. These have provisions for heaters as they are used as far north as Alaska. We have one with a bent corner and I claimed the thing. Sounds like I may not need the heater.....

I'm in Missouri where in December, the temp can get as low as 0F. I didn't see the dimensions in FAQ, I'll look again.

Edit for another newbie question: or two...

Is the cat 5 cable from the RS-485 converter to the 1st LOR a straight thru ehternet cable with RJ45's? I may need more than 25 feet that comes with the starter pack.

Is the cable from controller 1 to controller 2 a regular phone cord?

Is there any thought about changing the serial interface to an ethernet port with an IP address in the future?

The connection from the RS-485 to the first controller is a straight through. Ideally, it should be as close as possible. (Per Dan.) The connection to other controllers can be phone cord, but you can use CAT5 as well. You will get better distance from CAT5.

(Dan, something I failed to get on there... what's the maximum recommended distance from PC to 1st controller? Max. Length between controllers with phone/Cat5?)

Can't speak to your last question. Dan will have to answer that one.

I think there is a bit of confusion here. I will try to straighten it out.

The cable from the PC (SC485) to the first controller should be 100' or less. It can be phone cable or CAT5 BUT CAT5 is highly recommended. You can push this distance with CAT5 and we have seen it work OK at over 200'...

The distance between other controllers can be any distance as long as the total distance from the PC to the last controller is 2000' or less if everything is phone cable or 4000' if everything is CAT5 cable.

You can use any mix of CAT5 and Phone Cable. The total distance will be based on the ratio of CAT5 vs Phone Cable.

Thank you, Dan. The distance from PC port to the 1st controller should be under 50 ft but will certainly be more than 25 ft. I will assume a 50' straight thru cat5 ethernet cable with RJ45's on each end will work. The 2nd controller will be on the same backpanel as the 1st. I'll use a short telephone cord for that one.

I found the dimensions for the controllers so now I can start designing the panel.

:waycool: