Light-O-Rama Forums

Configuring Multiple Networks

scottam67

This is my first year using multiple networks.  In addition to the Regular network, I'm planning on having Aux A and Aux B with 6 CCRs each and Aux C with 4 CCBs.  I have already purchased the necessary 500K USB485 adapters and plan to use a USB hub for all 4 networks. 

I presume that I will need to configure each controller with the USB485 that will be running it in a show.  Correct? 

Also, am I able to configure everthing on my laptop, and have it work OK on my show PC?

If I move the Regular Network adapter to the USB port, will the computer still recognize it and assign the proper comm port?

Part of my confusion is around how the PC/laptop assign comm ports to each of the USB485 adapters, and how that occurs from machine to machine, and using the USB port.

Any insight would be appreciated.

• Like 1

1 - Yes

2 - Yes, but only after you hook up all the Adapters and assign them on your SHOW machine in an identical fashion.  Network Configuration is tied to the machine, not a sequence.

3 - Our USB adapters have unique internal names, so  you can move them to any USB port on your computer and they will attach themselves to the correct LOR network.

FYI:  Be sure you have the ADVANCED S3 software.  Only Advanced can control lights on networks other than REG.

• Like 1

T

1 - Yes

2 - Yes, but only after you hook up all the Adapters and assign them on your SHOW machine in an identical fashion.  Network Configuration is tied to the machine, not a sequence.

3 - Our USB adapters have unique internal names, so  you can move them to any USB port on your computer and they will attach themselves to the correct LOR network.

FYI:  Be sure you have the ADVANCED S3 software.  Only Advanced can control lights on networks other than REG.

Thanks for your quick response!

• 2 months later...

I have searched through the forum but I am not having much luck. This is as close as I got...

My problem is that com7 is on regular network 57.6K for the old CTB16Dboard and comm9 is aux...for the new ccB @ 500K. The problem is that It will only run the regular port. but not the auxiliary. I can switch them back and forth (comm9 to regular 7 to aux)but they wont run together.

I have advanced LOR with 4 CCR's License, Windows 8....(what else do you need to know???)

I am stumped. Please Help

After a nice 8 hour nap I decided to search again with a clean brain and found out that I have to individually tell the sequence editor what channel (and  NETWORK) its on. Once I changed those it worked like a charm.

After a nice 8 hour nap I decided to search again with a clean brain and found out that I have to individually tell the sequence editor what channel (and  NETWORK) its on. Once I changed those it worked like a charm.

Just FYI - the newer versions of software (which you seem to be running) has the ability to load the network preferences without having to open the sequence editor. Look for "Light-O-Rama Network Configuration" in your start menu, or LOR Control Panel.

Hi Don,

Thank You and yes I did try that but the sequence editor was they way to go...

Interesting. They both take you to the same program.

I am going to be running 7 networks this year . Last year I ran 3 in a laptop. Can I run them thru a hub or do I need to add more USB to a desktop to run them all.

Thanks in advance

Don c.

I'm sorry don I miss understood. I had to go into the editor and tell the channels what I was doing, (CCD to aux unit**), then went into the program you are describing.

Don C.

I have two different networks (split between 7 units) to run my show. A fast network and a slow one.

My opinion? That's a lot of info to push through one hub. It might hang????

I am running 27 LOR 1602w's and a lot of rgb stuff. That is why I am running so many networks. Probably too many but I figured if I split it up it would run better. I wasn't sure If i could use a hub or build a new desktop with more USB.

I am going to be running 7 networks this year . Last year I ran 3 in a laptop. Can I run them thru a hub or do I need to add more USB to a desktop to run them all.

Thanks in advance

Don c.

You can try.....

Remember, each USB port on your computer has a limited amount of bandwidth.  The hub will let you hook up more physical devices, but there is still only X amount of bandwidth between the computer and that hub.  

The only way you'll know if you are going to exceed that bandwidth is to test.

Alternatively, if your computer has expansion slots open you could just purchase an in-expensive USB card (that is just an example).  You will of course need to know what kind of slot you have free in your computer, and other assorted computer stuff.

Thanks DevMike. I have a friend building me a desktop just to run display. He is going to out 10 USB ports in it. I was just wondering if I could get away with just a hub. I figured it wouldn't work. Thanks for the info.