Light-O-Rama Forums

Best FM Transmitter Pre-Built

crowninb

I went this route and couldn't be happier, from Amazon.com

0.5 W Fail-Safe Long Range FM Transmitter - FS CZH-05B

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FO4UHW/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As mentioned previously, I've used an EDM transmitter since 2008, I love it, and have recommended EDM many, many times.

Having said that, I ordered a FS CZH-05B to have around as a back-up.  It came in a few days ago and yesterday I finally got around to hooking it up. 

I know it's an over-used word, but the first one that comes to mind is WOW!  Using only the rubber ducky antenna that's included I get greater range than the EDM and the stereo signal strength is excellent.  The sound quality is very good - much better than I expected.

A couple features I really like is the ability to connect a microphone and transmit live voice at any time, as well as the ability to adjust the input levels of both the microphone and the line in.

All-in-all, the CZH-05B seems to be a great buy, a solid choice, and very definitely worth the price.  I'm even thinking that maybe I'll give my EDM some rest this year and use the "backup".

• Like 1

glad to hear that someone who has used a edm and the failsafe give it such good praise. I know of three displays including mine that use them and everyone is very happy with theirs. After hearing all the good stuff about the edm the past three years I thought of buying one,maybe not now.

This is the one I use http://www.dagcoelectronics.com/store/500-mw-rangestar-wireless-music-long-range-fm-transmitter-2?zenid=f26649e3980b07f6083a80181139b203  Last year my audio jack had a short in it during the show, where I had to rig it up so people could have sound out of the right and left speaker, the owner replaced my unit for free.  

I used that last year. Worked flawlessly and the audio was good once I got the input cable and inputs setup correctly.

a lot has been talked about here  on transmitters im sure there are good ones(even a blind squirrel gets one every once in a while)im one of the newer folks around here(3 years)when i first started i checked out all of them i asked questions and did a lot of reading and coming from a family that has been the radio world for a while and knowing just enuff about electronics to not to get locked up or dead i bought an edm and an outside antenna and 50 foot of coax cable the standing wave is 1.2 to1 almost a perfect match(the antenna is tunable to achieve this yes some come with rubber duck s or telescoping ones build in the edm comes with a wire (test )antenna for my limited money i go edm again BUT NEVER THE LESS  DO THE RESEARCH CHECK THE FCC LAWS KNOW YOUR RIGHTS AND WHAT WORKS AND WHAT WONT.

FCC compliance is a big mess but basically never broadcast over a local station ... That's the way to get in trouble ... Because if someone listening to that station suddenly gets your show instead ... That begins the chain of violation reporting. The higher the wattage, the more potential you have to offend others, so choosing an unused (or distantly used) frequency is key.

Having separate parts that need soldering qualifies it as a kit, which gives it much less restrictions, legal-wise, and has more freedom to be sold elsewhere.

Ken, can you point out to me how a kit has less restrictions in the FCC Rules. I feel that your statement is misleading.

I'll say this again. all of you new people and a few of you old timers buying this FS CZH-05B. Be aware that this radio is greatly over the top power wise. It would be very easy to transmit over quarter of a mile, which is way to far according to the FCC rules and regulations. For our purpose and trying to stay within the letter of the law. The use of outside antennas is also an overstatement. I noticed that one gent has his antenna off of his EDM in the horizontal plane. This will create a beam and he needs to drive slowly up and down the street from his house. Might find a null location with no signal. FM is usually in the vertical plane, meaning your antenna is pointing up not to the side. You need to use an antenna and if nessary put it in the basement so that your signal is only strong enough to be useable a couple houses away (good sound). As it has been mentioned, if you drown out someones favorite radio station that they like to listen to. You are more than likely going to get a visit from big brother.

Hey you all big boys. Realize that myself and a few others who either work in the radio industry or have Amateur Radio Lic know the rules and hear of reports of idiots who break the rules. And lets just say that when you get a fine from FCC. This aint your speeding or moving violation ticket. We are talking of Thousands of dollars and you wont be able to get one of them shadey Traffic Law Lawyers to get you off with no points. These guys (FCC) play for keeps. Oh and your nice little radio, antenna and maybe the computer that is hooked up to it will be confiscated.

Ken, can you point out to me how a kit has less restrictions in the FCC Rules. I feel that your statement is misleading.

See: http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet63/oet63rev.pdf

home built kits (EDM) vs completely manufactured transmitters are detailed on pages 2 and 3.

This mainly pertains to the SALE of the equipment; it still must meet the power requirements of Part 15.

For kits, the requirements are the responsibility of the user, not the seller.

More information on unlicensed operation: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/low-power-broadcast-radio-stations#UNLICENSED

And the FCC is offering some webinars on low power FM transmitters: http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2013/db0808/DOC-322736A1.pdf

First one to start is on August 20. Details above.

For those people interested in getting a permit for their transmitters, see: http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/low-power-fm-broadcast-radio-stations-lpfm

Edited by Ken Benedict

I would pay very close attention to what Max Paul posted..........I also did a lot of checking with people I know in the radio business and thats why I paid a little more and purchased the FM30      Cuz....... the FCC guys don't play around or give you a slap on the hand.  What also has not been stated on this thread is not only having your signal step on a commercial broadcast but causing interference with emergency broadcasting such as Police, Fire, Ambulance, etc.  It's the ultimate NO NO guaranteed they will be on you in a Heart Beat.

The PLL and harmonics  in those units arn't the best available and could have considerable drift.......thats why there less expensive.

Just imagine some evening a Fire or Ambulance  vehicle needing to communicate while trying to get to some emergency and they can't cuz Gangnum Style or Jingle Bells is blasting over their Airspace???

Ken, great reply. Yes I know that as a kit it makes it legal to import per say. Makes me wonder how all of these guys are getting the .5W transmitters off of Ebay.

It was just the way you said that the EDM is a kit and thus there are less restrictions legally speaking. Not everyone knows what you mean by that. Someone could think you where saying that they dont have the power restrictions like other radios. I was drawing you out to explain what you meant. When you speak of legal stuff like  the FCC rules or the WMA (think I got that right) and copy rights for music. You have to be very clear as to what you mean. Dont leave it so that one could missunderstand you. I would hate to say something that could cause someone to get in legal problems. You might be dragged into court room and have to explain yourself. Not just you Ken, anyone passing on info that is not clear or is incorrect.

Remember I was drawing you out Ken. Its clear you know what your talking about. Just possible came out poorly.

No offense taken; glad to provide details.

Sometimes people provide way too much information for the Original Poster and causes headaches and mental overload, it seems.

So I stay brief until asked for details.

BTW: Here's LOR's take on FM transmitters: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/21903-do-not-do-not-do-not-buy-the-whole-house-transmitter/?p=208944

And the other side of the coin:http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/21903-do-not-do-not-do-not-buy-the-whole-house-transmitter

Ya gotta love the span of knowledge and talent here, eh?

Edited by Ken Benedict

The Dagco CZH-05B has a low power setting that was well within the above said restrictions. While on full power it could easily go for a mile, low power is much less. I couldn't get a clear signal within an 1/8th of a mile. Hard to beat for the price and quality.

On low power my Neighbor across the street wasn't able to hear my music and actually asked me to turn it back up! I also lived in a very remote area so it wasn't a big deal with surrounding houses. Can't get by with it this year since I live on a main road.

I'll be using low power on the 1st floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn well thanks for all the replies I may be more confused as ever, I was thinking edm but may have to research some more. I really only will need to broadcast 30 yards at the most. I have the new MP3 player and it will be place right under my 12 ccr tree which is 15-20 feet to the street. I will definitely test frequency and make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

Thanks again for all the info

• 2 weeks later...

I know there are lots of opinions on this topic.  I love my Ramsey FM100 and FM30 and even though I consider myself an 'experienced' kit builder, found that they assembled quite well.

One thing I would suggest is don't use a soldering 'gun' but invest in a small (25 to 30 watt) soldering station.  Most of the new ones are temperature controlled and even include a sponge or metallic 'wool' which is critical in keeping the tip clean.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought lor transmitter and it wont broadcast out of the house for some reason so I bought a edm and am very satisfied with it

• 4 weeks later...

Bizywk, do you have any update, on the use and distance of this transmitter ????

Greg

My EDM-LCD-CS-EP arrived in the mail today, and as requested, here are my observations.

The transmitter arrived as a complete package, safely shipped, and included both a 1/4 wave wired, and a rubber duck antenna.  It was completely soldered up and mounted in the metal housing - ready to go with the exception of the power connector which comes as a separate part which requires soldering.   ??    Three simple solder joints later (5min tops) and I was up from the basement on my kitchen table hooking it up my iPod.   The transmitter was crystal clear on just the rubber duck which is a shorter range antenna.  I left the transmitter right where it was, antenna horizontal against the table, and went 13 houses down my block before the signal showed signs of degrading.  This transmitter is excellent.  I don't even need to set the optimum conditions for transmission such as ensuring that its on the second floor or even near the front of the house to ensure good signal from all line-of-site vantage points. My kitchen is on the back of the house and penetrated my brick with no trouble at all.  

I purchased a whole house transmitter early this spring and was sorely disappointed.  This transmitter beats that on hands down in my opinion.  The craftsmanship looks excellent.   My only recommendation is make sure you have an audio adapter cable on hand when it arrives so you can immediately fire it up.    It uses stereo RCA inputs and you'll likely need the male 3.5mm stereo jack on the other cable end in order to connect it to your computer.    You'll also want to check the website http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/vacant?select=city&city=46123&state=&x=0&y=0  to make sure you have a clear channel for your location to avoid interference. 

I am much more confident now that our visitors will have an enjoyable show since I traded out transmitters.  If the sound is crappy, it will undermine all your hard work with the lights. 

Good Luck.

• 1 year later...

I've used the Ramsey for about 5 seasons now, and each season I'm fighting harder and harder to get a clear clean sound out to the street.  We live on a very busy road, and a large city (Tampa Bay FL), so finding an empty FM channel is hard enough, but finding a good spot that I can send the music out loud and clear is near to impossible.

Do you suppose it would be best to make a new FM Pole or try the CZH model transmitter recommended?  Just trying to minimize my wheels spinning.

I have a VAST transmitter and love it.  Very easy to set up and use. I have mine running RDS and people think that is pretty cool!

www.vastint.com

Where is your antenna in relation to the street and how far does it reach?   My EDM's antenna is on the roof of my 2 story (Rubber ducky) on a long cable.  It reached the street fine but my back yard gets nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

I went this route and couldn't be happier, from Amazon.com

0.5 W Fail-Safe Long Range FM Transmitter - FS CZH-05B

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FO4UHW/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Depends on what time frame you looking at. My Ramsey quit while I testing for this years show. Did not have a lot of time. So I bought the one listed above from Amazon...Very fast shipping and for the money it is a great crystal clear, easy to setup transmitter.