Light-O-Rama Forums

.wav conversion

blainedead

Last year I used mp3 files for all my 16 channel sequences without a problem. This year I was planning to upgrade to 80 channels, and have been sequencing without any noticeable problems.

Everyone seems to say that there are potential problems with using mp3 files, and that they should be converted to .wav files. So I have two questions:

1. Should I go ahead and convert, even though I don't seem to be having any issues?

2. If I convert using Audacity, will I still be able to use the sequences that I have already made, or will changing the audio file make everything out of whack as far as timing events go?

Blaine

I would switch just to head off any issues.

As long as you do nothing more than convert the format, you should be able to interchange from MP3 to wav without any problems at all.

It is especially frustrating to attempt to sequence and have your editor freak out because of the MP3.

I start with wav to keep this from occuring and then use MP3 (for the director).

I think most of the sequencing problems with MP3 are grouped into two categories:

MP3s recorded at a variable rate rather than 128

When trying to use a slower speed such as 1/2 when sequencing.

I used MP3 for most of my sequencing last year. I set my show up using both MP3 and WAV intermixed in the show and it ran without problem.

The only reason I used mp3 in the first place is because thats what the LOR support page gave instructions for. They go through the whole procedure of ripping files into a 128bit constant bit rate file. I have done that with all my audio. That being said, should I still convert to .wav?

If you want to be able to slow down the sequence in the editor to 1/2 speed without having any problems, then you should convert. If you are not having any problems, do not worry about it.

But be prepared to convert in the event the editor starts to "hang up" during your playback.