Light-O-Rama Forums

Error Saving...stumped

boborino

Ok.. so I decided to start working with LOR getting ready for upcoming pixels.  Every time I tried to save the file, I would get an error.  So, I decided to simply load a file from last year and save it with no modifications.  I keep getting "ActiveX component cant create object".  I searched for this error and found something about registering a DLL.  I did that.. no effect.  SO, I paid my software upgrade fee (earlier than I planned) and went to 3.9.  Same issue.  I then loaded 3.10 beta.. .same issue.  I've posted a picture of the error.  Anybody seen this lately?  Running Windows 7 64bit, 8GB RAM, 100GB free.  Never had an issue with LOR on this system before.  (and yes I rebooted :) )

post-4924-0-52994200-1371910879_thumb.jp

Thanks Don, but I had already tried that.  No go.  I've even tried uninstalling and re-installing..

Did you run a RegWipe as well?

If you are still using 3.10.0, use this link.

3.9.0 this link

and 3.8.0 this link.

Man.. this is a puzzler.  I uninstalled, did the regwipe with 3.10.. flushed registration and evertyhing.  Reinstalled and re-registerd.  No joy.  Tried just builing a default sequence with 8 channels and turning one light on then saving... still activeX error.  Are there IE settings that would effect this since it's an Active-X error?

No more suggestions?  Ugh.... guess it's time to backup/burndown and reload the system.  I have a new system, but it only has a 128GB SSD.. this one has a 500GB with only 200GB Free... not enough room for all the LOR stuff :)

but seriously, has NO one else run into this?  No LOR guru has an idea why it won't save?

Googled it, even ran filemon (well processmon looking at file writes).  What's odd is, it keeps saying the create is sucessfull, but then follows up immediately with a query directory and a "name not found".

Looking at some tickets in the LOR HelpDesk, a suggestion was made to verify that you have permission to save in intended directory.

Are you saving these in the default Light-O-Rama sequence folder, or someplace else? Might be an issue where you are not logged in as an admin, and don't have rights to save to the intended directory.

Few other questions:

What type of sequence is this? Animation or Musical. Any chance it was created as an animation sequence *with loops* and you managed to add in a musical file later?

We will soon (perhaps today) be releasing a new beta version, 3.10.2, which has a change that is intended to prevent this problem from happening.  I suggest keeping an eye out for the 3.10.2 release announcement.  If/when you try it out, please let us know whether it has resolved the problem or not.  Thanks.

We will soon (perhaps today) be releasing a new beta version, 3.10.2, which has a change that is intended to prevent this problem from happening.  I suggest keeping an eye out for the 3.10.2 release announcement.  If/when you try it out, please let us know whether it has resolved the problem or not.  Thanks.

YES!!!!  3.10.2 DOES save without issue!

Technicall... what changed? 

YES!!!!  3.10.2 DOES save without issue!

Technicall... what changed? 

Glad to hear it helped.  Thanks for letting us know.

The problem was related to a standard Microsoft control that we were using.  When we would ask the control "Does a file named such-and-such exist?", instead of answering "Yes" or "No", some sort of error would occur.  I don't know if it was due to a bug in the control itself, or (perhaps more likely) due to the control being improperly installed in your Windows.  But in any case, we now no longer ask that Microsoft control to figure out whether the file exists or not; instead, we figure that out ourselves.