Light-O-Rama Forums

Stacic Problems?

Guest guest

I have my LOR board in my room to test for next year and to use for a alarm clock (works good!). When I turn my celing fan off all off the lights flicker! Now i want to know if this is a problem or if it is harmfull to the board. I scarred me when it first happend because I had some red rope on it right by the door, and when exiting the room I shut the fan off and this red light flahsed! I thought the fan blew up!

--Daniel L

I have a similar problem but in reverse. Whenever I fire off a channel of strobes (5 or so), any remote controlled dimmers in the house flicker. Not on the same circuit. I have a Lutron which goes nuts and my lights will randomly fade (in the house) on/off. Once strobes are off, everything is fine. The other controller is a Hampton Bay ceiling fan remote. Not nearly as dramatic, but when the strobes are on, the lights do a noticable flicker. Fixed it by not using Strobes :)

The controller is the ctb-08

Fan type? five blade with four lights NOT on LOR (the fan and all its parst are NOT on LOR.

No remote

I tyried it again with a show running and it worked ok till I switched the fan off and it did its flash then went dark for a few seconds before picking back up, when I first noticed it everything was off even the computer.

It sounds like you may have an electrical issue with your fan or wiring or switch in your room that may be the same electrical line feeding the outlet that the LOR and or PC is plugged into.
Being a big inductor (with capacitors also) and if rotating after turned off your fan is capable of quite a load dump back onto the line.

Are the bulbs compact flourescents?

It may be possible that the line and neutral are reversed at the fan or an issue with ground and neutral at the fan (might have an effect), bad wall switch that is arcing?

Have you tried turning the fan off with the pullchain to see if you have the same effect?

Cat5 cable? How long is it? (since it is in your room) is it coiled up?

PC attached to a grounded outlet?