Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485B Adapter

Denny

I will be using the USB485B adapter for the first time this year. Since my laptop only has two USB ports, I usually use a hub to connect everything to the laptop. Will the USB485B work through a hub or should it be plugged directly into one of the USB ports on the laptop? I ask this because one of my USB devices (mobile broadband card) states that it should not be used through a hub.

Denny,

There are 2 types of USB hubs. Those that supply power on to the USB connectors, and those that do not. I have used my adapter on a powerer USB hub with no problems. My only problem was with my computer in the unheated garage, the cpu fan would blow cold air...yes that is it's job. But this cold air in the winter,cause more drag on the bearings in the motor and the cpu would overheat and shutdown the computer. But that is not a problem because of the USB.

Chuck

Thanks for the info Chuck. I didn't realize there were two types of hubs. Guess that is why the mobile broadband card says not to use a hub as the card is powered through the USB port. I will have to see what type hub that I have.

Did your USB hub come with an optional wall adapter? If so it's probably a powered USB hub when the wall adapter is plugged in. If it didn't come with one you may find a power connector on it that you could plug a wall adapter into ( ofcourse one that matches the voltage & polarity hopefully specified on the jack!). This might make it powered too...

I didn't try my 485B on a hub last year so I can't comment on how well it works through a hub.

Thanks for the info. I checked my hub and there is no auxiliary power input. It looks like I will need to get a new one. I would use the old desktop, but that has pretty much been relegated to the grandkids when they come visit or spend the night. I am leary of using the Vista machine also, just don't want to take the chance that it won't work properly.