Light-O-Rama Forums

Thinking about buying l-o-r

Guest guest

For an example, the 8 channel 15 amp model, I understand that means a total of 15 amps at any 1 time (per channel, or all channels added up and on at once). Correct? If so, and if I want my whole controlled display to go static for awhile, and it is 50 amps, then it's no can do, correct? Unless I reserve 1 channel to go to some massive relay that can then switch on all these lights? To do that, then I would have to 'parallel' each circuit that goes to the l-o-r also to this relay--would that cause a problem with the l-o-r?

Am I on the right track here, or just blinded by the lights?

There was another post earlier today that wanted to use relays for something. Can't remember (and to tired to look it up.) However, if I recall correctly, you would lose some features by using relays.

You are, however, correct in your assessment of LOR. If you have 50amps total, a 15amp controller simply isn't going to do the trick to go all static.

By the time you add all the relays and extra wire, it might be more cost effective to go with 2, 16 channel LOR controllers.

Looking over your post, I want to correct one thing you said. According to the docs (http://www.lightorama.com/Specs/LOR08.htm) you can have only a maximum of 8 amps per channel on at once ... up to the 15 amp limit.

To clarify, the

CTB08 has 8 channels at NO MORE than 2 amps per channel with NO MORE than 15 amps on all of the channels at a time.

CTB08WHS has 8 channels at NO MORE than 8 amps per channel with NO MORE than 15 amps on all of the channels at at time.

The CTB08D has 8 channels at NO MORE than 8 amps per channel only when a heatsink is attached (CTB08DWHS) with NO MORE than 20 amps on all of the channels at a time. You must replace the provided 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp fuse.

The CTB16D has 16 channels at NO MORE than 8 amps per channel only when a heatsink is attached (CTB16dWHS). The board is divided into 2 sides, channels 1-8 and 9-16. Each side can handle up to 20 amps on all of the channels at a time. It is basically 2 CTB08D's put together. It is a better buy at a per channel price than all the others. You must replace the 2 provided 15 amp fuses with 2 20 amp fuses.

Any part number that ends with WHS (With HeatSink) can handle 8 amps per channel, without a heatsink it is 2 amps per channel.

EDIT: Brad I made a couple of changes and added a comment. Dan

I was thinking this too.. this year I used a single timer to switch 4 SSR's to turn on and off my static display. I thought about using one channel of my LOR (plan to purchase in April thank you very much) to serve this same function for all of my static elements.

Chris