Light-O-Rama Forums

Tracing A Picture to Create a Prop

sharpsvillelights

What is the best way to create a prop by tracing a picture.

Specifically I have a round ball divided into 12 parts.   It would be like creating a mega tree but instead it would be round.

My problem is when using the draw line option, I have not mastered how to create free form curvy lines.

I also have a Santa I am trying to create.  It has 2 hats which I sync to move back and forth and 4 mouths so he can talk.  I thought about taking a picture of the Santa wire frame and then tracing it.

All those curvy lines are the hard part..

What is the best way to create a prop by tracing a picture.

Specifically I have a round ball divided into 12 parts.   It would be like creating a mega tree but instead it would be round.

My problem is when using the draw line option, I have not mastered how to create free form curvy lines.

I also have a Santa I am trying to create.  It has 2 hats which I sync to move back and forth and 4 mouths so he can talk.  I thought about taking a picture of the Santa wire frame and then tracing it.

All those curvy lines are the hard part..

I used the arch wizard. Made the first arch and then the second and turned it around and lined them up. Then I re sized them to the size I wanted.

Indi,

Question on the arch wizard.  When the arch wizard is used it creates an arch going side to side (or left to right).  As I have several arches that go across the yard I need the arch to rotate 90 degrees so it goes front to back.  Have tried using the rotate handle but it only rotatates slightly.

Your suggestion to make a ball using two arches, one being upside down is a good solution.  But then again how do I rotate that?

Now that's a head scratchier.  I don't know how you would do a front to back. I don't believe that it can be done. You might have to use the string tool to make segments and create a V shape that could look like an arch looking straight on or at a slight angle to give the illusion of an arch.  

Grab one of the top resize squares and drag it to the bottom across the line and it makes the arch turn upside down. Now, if its Pixels you'll have to do the same to the side to keep the pixel numbers sequential

Edited by Ron Boyd

• 2 weeks later...

Ron,

Any idea how to make a prop of a bellagio pole.  I have 7 channels stacked on top of each other for the pole.  Pole is a single color.  The best I could do was to make a  light string and make the lights large.

You can use the square single bulbs, light strings really close together, ot the tree wizard making the top and bottom the same. When I get back home I'll send you one if you like. Im doing a 16 channel one inside my mega this year

Ron,

Any idea how to make a prop of a bellagio pole.  I have 7 channels stacked on top of each other for the pole.  Pole is a single color.  The best I could do was to make a  light string and make the lights large.

Not sure if this will help, but here's a 10 tier pole.

I just created a 360 pixel thing that I tried freehand to place the pixels and it was a disaster.  So what I did was accurately create the design in AutoCAD and then create a .jpg file.  That had 360 perfectly placed little circles for me to place the pixels.  Worked perfectly.

Hey Jim,

Is that you're new star you told me about? You wouldn't mind sharing would you? I'm struggling to get a nice freehand Star also. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the AutoCad file too. I think I have Turbocad somewhere, I assume it would work on that, maybe?