Light-O-Rama Forums

windows 8

berniebean

Does anyone know if  LOR S3 and Superstar be run with windows 8?  Unfortunately I need a new computer. 

it would be nice to use a touch screen to do sequencing?  Thanks

We bought a new computer (primarily for my wife to use) and it is running Windows 8. I have installed S3 and run SuperStar on it, I have not used it extensively, but everything I have tried works fine. As for the touch screen, Windows 8 takes any input from the touch screen to be the same as mouse input. So you can press all the buttons, bring down menus, and select things on the sequencing grid through the touch screen.

Just a side comment, when you first run Windows 8 it is indeed very different and takes some getting used to. Its going to take some time, but in a few years I think people will appreciate the advantages of its design. Just from the little bit I have used it, I can see that the goal was to give you as much screen real estate to work with as possible. The tiling windows are gone, you typically are looking at a screen which is being used entirely for whatever you are working on. In the base screen there is no task bar, no start button, no minimize the window button. So it makes you feel like, "I'm stuck, how do I go to another application." But you just have to get used to the fact that you navigate by swiping your finger from the side and then stuff appears that allows you to navigate elsewhere.

Ill add to this. I purchased a copy of Win8 because I like to have the latest and greatest.

As far as the OP question, with Brian, Superstar worked just fine.

As far as Windows goes, I went back to 7. Supposedly, there is an update coming to give some of the Win7 stuff back, start button and a few other things. I hope so. I'd hate to know I just spent the money for an OS that the DVD will become a cup coaster.

• Like 1

If you get a computer with windows 8 on it can you fix it to run windows 7?  Hate learning new systems.

If you have a copy of Win 7 then I'm quite sure you can. Just remember, You need the drivers for all the pieces attached. If not you will get a bunch of errors. When I upgraded to 8, I did the "Install New Copy of Windows" and forgot about the drivers. I reset it to Win 7 so all the drivers were in tact and then did a "Install Upgrade" and it left the drivers in tact and where they were supposed to be. Going from 7 to 8 and then back to 7 was simple. Most PC manufacturers hide a partition with everything to set your PC back to Factory Specs. You just need to figure out how to access it. On a Toshiba Laptop, it's as simple as: Power Down, Press and hold Zero, and then Power up. The PC did the rest. I found out how to do it from their website.

"I hope so. I'd hate to know I just spent the money for an OS that the DVD will become a cup coaster.

As someone who still has disk copies of Novell 3.11, Win 3.1, Win95, etc... Lots of them have become coasters - but were useful at the time. So, just enjoy the latest 'future cup coaster' you buy today.