Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding more controllers

pfdchf1

I started with LOR last year and just did animation and it turned out very well.  I am adding a second controller this year.  Is there anything that I need to do to set it up or just connect it and get working?

the first thing is to set it to unit number 2. they come preset on unit one from lor

• 1 month later...

Buy more SPT!

Yes spt and vampire plug's, think i'm gonna  need lots of it myself and hoping to add another controller this year also. I moved couple of month ago and where we are at now I'll have to keep the controller inside the house and make all custom extension for there $$ first time using it,  but i think it's worth it in the long run the  next time u do a show it save's time and work.

You will need to have ONLY the new controller hooked up to the network (LOR RS-485 network that is). And program in the new address (provided this is one of the PC series controllers). And never change or program any changes with any other controller on the LOR network. Many times someone has done this and all of the controllers end up with same address.

Yes spt and vampire plug's, think i'm gonna  need lots of it myself and hoping to add another controller this year also. I moved couple of month ago and where we are at now I'll have to keep the controller inside the house and make all custom extension for there $$ first time using it,  but i think it's worth it in the long run the  next time u do a show it save's time and work.

Why do you have to keep the controller inside the house?

They love it outside!

First thought that comes to mind is "THEFT" Hi Everyone !!

Paul, (edmonchuck even....) I have 18 acres in a subdivision, and the one thing I know is my controlers and stuff are going on "Lockdown" they (the LOR stuff) are new here (I think I'm the first in Brandon to have them), and I can guarantee that some idot will try to steal them (I've got IR cameras for that) but if they steal the trail cameras as well, I have nothing then)................ 

Greg

Edited by a31ford

Almost all of the LOR controllers have the ability to install a padlock or other locking device on them.

I do this every season and haven't had a problem.

Just a suggestion.

The question of theft has come up many times, to my recollection from what has been said by the community, no one knows of a single instance where a LOR decorator has had a controller stolen.  It just hasn't happened. (Damaged by youth randomly running through displays yes, but stolen no.)  Conversely, think of the cost of 16 extension cords at 7.99 ea for a 25 ft cord you're looking at $127.84 if you get 50 foot cords you're looking at about 16.99 ea for a total of $271.84.  Where as a DIY complete controller kit is only $184.95.  Yes, there are cheaper options like SPT, but the point is putting controllers far away from the elements is more expensive than just putting them in the display.  Most people think they are just a power strip anyway.  Few people know they are worth anything. 

So if you do have one stolen, you'll be the first. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Ken and Rainy, Thank you for your replies, I see your point(s), will consider it, as I have more than one trail cam that I can point to the area in question.

What you have to know is that the front of my property is 600 ft wide, saving on the SPT (and doing power runs instead) would be much simpler.......

Greg

• 2 years later...

Most people think they are just a power strip anyway. 

So if you do have one stolen, you'll be the first. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Very True. I have never had any issues with my display, and I don't use camera or padlocks. For my halloween show all I have to do it put out my "Danger High Voltage" sign and Im all set. 

The question of theft has come up many times, to my recollection from what has been said by the community, no one knows of a single instance where a LOR decorator has had a controller stolen. ...  Conversely, think of the cost of 16 extension cords at 7.99 ea for a 25 ft cord you're looking at $127.84 if you get 50 foot cords you're looking at about 16.99 ea for a total of $271.84.  Where as a DIY complete controller kit is only $184.95.

Also, it is fairly easy to sell stolen extension cords as scrap copper, or to sell them as extension cords at a flea market, but not so for controllers. Controllers also look a lot like sprinkler controller boxes, which are always ignored.

• The topic was locked