Light-O-Rama Forums

Opening squences on other computers

Smithbuilt

Good moring. Yes this is post #1. I have been following this forum for a couple of months now, and have read many answers to what I need to figure out. Can't find this answer though. We have 3 computers in our home, I have done most of my sequencing on my office computer. When I try to open a sequence on my wifes computer in the kitchen the files don't even show up. All our computers are networked together. I can see the files in windows explorer but not in S3 through 'Open Existing Sequence'. We have an advanced liscence and registered on all the computers. The files themself are on my computer in the office. THe sequences would have been all started in the demo version, but one of them was started on my wifes computer and then moved to mine. The last save would have been done on my computer. I did try moving the files to my laptop but the same problem there. What am I missing.

About myself, we have been doing lights for a few years using the Mr Christmas 6 channel music box. This year we are jumping into LOR. I got 4 residential controllers and 2 CCRs at the spring sale. In addition to the house lights and others we will be trying a Weber Spiral tree this year and will also add 4 arches with the CCRs. I've got a couple of sequences done and working on more. And now I do understand all your comments about thinking Christmas lights all the time.

Thank you for your help with this problem, and I'm sure there will be many more questions to come.

I'm sure there are different ways of doing it, but I would save the sequences on a flash drive and then load them on each computer.

OK, copying with a thumb drive worked. Any idea why the files are not available across a network or why if I copy and paste the file over the network it still won't show up? For fun I tried setting up sync'd folders and I can access the files from the sync'd folder. I don't see what is different in the files between all these methods. I would like to just have one version of each file but access it from any computer in the house for editing, is this possible?

Good moring. Yes this is post #1. I have been following this forum for a couple of months now, and have read many answers to what I need to figure out. Can't find this answer though. We have 3 computers in our home, I have done most of my sequencing on my office computer. When I try to open a sequence on my wifes computer in the kitchen the files don't even show up. All our computers are networked together. I can see the files in windows explorer but not in S3 through 'Open Existing Sequence'. We have an advanced liscence and registered on all the computers. The files themself are on my computer in the office. THe sequences would have been all started in the demo version, but one of them was started on my wifes computer and then moved to mine. The last save would have been done on my computer. I did try moving the files to my laptop but the same problem there. What am I missing.

About myself, we have been doing lights for a few years using the Mr Christmas 6 channel music box. This year we are jumping into LOR. I got 4 residential controllers and 2 CCRs at the spring sale. In addition to the house lights and others we will be trying a Weber Spiral tree this year and will also add 4 arches with the CCRs. I've got a couple of sequences done and working on more. And now I do understand all your comments about thinking Christmas lights all the time.

Thank you for your help with this problem, and I'm sure there will be many more questions to come.

depends on what version of windows they are running.  all my W7 machines can see anything in the "public" area but my XP laptop can't all the time.  I setup a network drive (a Buffalo NAS unit) and use that as my central repository for my LOR stuff.  Seems to work.

maybe thats it. 1 Xp, 1 Win 7 and 1 Win 8. Don't understand why it makes a difference but something is stopping them from being seen. I guess I'll have to go with sync'd folders.

Thank you,

maybe thats it. 1 Xp, 1 Win 7 and 1 Win 8. Don't understand why it makes a difference but something is stopping them from being seen. I guess I'll have to go with sync'd folders.

Thank you,

xp doesn't play nice with the other three.  go to www.newegg.com and look for a NAS (network accessed storage) unit (will fix that).  These things use to be pricey but now are in the $100-$200 range.

Try turning off "Simple File Sharing" on the XP machine. That has solved many problems with XP networking for me. 

Just in case you might need a refresher: 

To disable simple file sharing:

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
  3. Click the View tab.
  4. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
  5. Click OK
  • Like 1

If your in the Sequence editor and hit open sequence the file that show up are the file on your that machine in the sequence file (the one that was installed when you installed the software). If you go into that file and create a sub folder you wont see what's in the subfolder from the open sequence option in the Editor,( just the way the software works). try searching for the sequences before you open the sequence editor. if you open the file outside the sequence editor (just like any other file on your computer double click it)  it will then open in the editor for you. (I know sometimes the words don't make since when i type them) so let me know if you need more explaination.

Edited by MCas4380

If your in the Sequence editor and hit open sequence the file that show up are the file on your that machine in the sequence file (the one that was installed when you installed the software). If you go into that file and create a sub folder you wont see what's in the subfolder from the open sequence option in the Editor,( just the way the software works). try searching for the sequences before you open the sequence editor. if you open the file outside the sequence editor (just like any other file on your computer double click it)  it will then open in the editor for you. (I know sometimes the words don't make since when i type them) so let me know if you need more explaination.

this was exactly what I thought as well. just the same as you had a flash drive it won't read the file until you follow the corrwct pathways to the file and then save it to that computers hard drive

How about using a could drive like DropBox and linking all your computers to it. That also gives you cloud backup as well.