Light-O-Rama Forums

Connection question

ChristmasJoe

Hello Everyone!

I have been reading like crazy and would like to say THANK YOU for the wealth of information you guys are giving. It isn't said often, but your knowledge is greatly appreciated!

With that said, I have found myself with temporary brain loss and hope someone can help. I have 18 various LOR 16 channel controllers for our display. Everything works great, but this year I have decided to jump in the RGB and DIY ring. I have ordered a J1sys ECG-P12R, several 2801 pixels, 350w power supply, holiday coro dongle with light strips and a dumb controller with dumb small squares.

My question is do I run my LOR setup as previous years and the E1-31 with a cat 5 coming out of the same show computer which goes to network switch/hub connected to each controller? Will the show speak to the two outputs at the same?

Thank you for all your help

My question is do I run my LOR setup as previous years and the E1-31 with a cat 5 coming out of the same show computer which goes to network switch/hub connected to each controller? Will the show speak to the two outputs at the same?

Yes.

The show computer can use several networks at the same time, including several LOR networks and E1.31.  It can even use multiple E1.31 networks on multiple NICs at the same time!

Since both LOR and 10/100baseT use only 2 of the 4 pairs in a Cat5 cable, it is theoretically possible to run both networks on one cable, although it is not recommended, because one mistake will destroy a network interface.

Theroetically you can use the same NIC card for your normal network traffic and the E1.31 traffic. You may need to assign 2 IP addresses (most home networks use 192.168.X.X and E1.31 usually uses 10.X.X.X). The recommended way is to use two NIC cards, one for regular network and internat and a dedicated one for E1.31.

If you have only one card, you could use a cross over cable to connect the NIC to your ECG-P12R card. If you have multiple, you can add a switch inbetween. You would also need a switch if you only want to use one NIC card.

And yes, LOR S3 can drive several protocols at the same time: LOR native + DMX native + E.131... It is just important to assign the channels correctly.

Thank you both for your responses. This weekend I decided to purchase an additional network card for the computer. There are hundreds to choose from! What am I looking for? What requirements must the card have and what is useless? Does anyone recommend one more than others? Any to avoid? The tech guys at the store directed me to the more expensive ones, but said I couldn't run the computer with two cards installed. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

What requirements must the card have and what is useless?

Network cards are fairly generic now. (I remember network cards from the early 1990's, when every one had different problems.) The expensive ones will be 1000BaseT (Gigabit), which is overkill for E1.31, as most devices don't support that.

• The topic was locked