Light-O-Rama Forums

WS2811 icicle tubes

plasmadrive

I promised my wife I would make icicle tubes for this year.  I am going to use 2811s and have control over every pixel.  I am thinking of making them about 12" or so because I don't want the pixel count to become way too high. (I need about 200 of them for my eves). The plan is to have them plug together and hang at 12" spacing.  I will have to feed them from two or three spots so that is being worked out. 

Don't know what they will cost and not going for the "cheapest" I can get.  I want them to last!  They will need to be weather proof and the cabling is more of an issue then you might think.. but I think we have it solved..

Anyone else intrested in these? 

I have the same plan, but am using 1804 pixels (cause that is what I have).

Please keep us all posted on what u use for the tube, and waterproofing!

Thanks in advance for the contribution,

Michael

Looks like I might use WS2812 boards with a DMX converter on each board. That will make cabling much easier as each drop can be a stub instead of having to have goes ina and goes outa.  Just an idea so far..

I got the same request...

My thought was to cut a strip into pieces and run the pieces in parallel... using different length of pieces would provide a bit of variation. This would save the in / out wiring and reduce the channel count...

I got the same request...

My thought was to cut a strip into pieces and run the pieces in parallel... using different length of pieces would provide a bit of variation. This would save the in / out wiring and reduce the channel count...

This was my first idea but decided I wanted a rigid PCB instead.   I am going to use all the same length however.. I can program them to show different lengths if I want..

This is almost what I am after.  The same effect, but I want them to be inside clear tubes instead of exposed white PVC.. but this is pretty much what I want as an outcome. 

I like the idea Ray Wu came up with for the data better though.  Putting a DMX to 2811 converter on board each PCB and running DMX for the strip. 

• 3 weeks later...

To update:  What I have decided to do is take the 2811 strips and cut them down to the length I want.. All mine will be the same length of about 10 pixels each.  I am getting the ones in the sleeves so they are easier to deal with.  Once cut to length I will add a wire down the back for the DO line.  I will put in and out wired connectors for power and data.  I may add a small plastic strip to the back of the sleeve so that it will remain straght if necessary.  I have also ordered a bag of caps so I can cap them top and bottom.  Squirt them with silicon and should be good.  We shall see..

I figure that since they have the silicon sleeve, they will be water tight, covered and somewhat rigid and that will eleminate the need for tubes, caps and so on. 

• The topic was locked