Light-O-Rama Forums

Crashing Now

Jeff Messer

Guess I have joined the ranks of others in Crashing LOR. I must of left the undo highlighted and lost about an hour worth of work. Lesson Learned that I should have saved every 10 minutes. Task Manager now runs in the up right corner of the screen.  

New computer fastest i5 with 120 gig ssd and 16 gig of ram. When watching the sequencer in playback it jumps from time to time. Turned off a few of the features and plays a little better. Ordered a new video card this weekend to help this issue out.  

While I have enjoyed the customer service from LOR and any support I ever needed I feel it's time to upgrade the software. I am running 3.9 with Superstar. Time is running short waiting on any upgrade from LOR as I dont wait till the last minute to make a change. RGB's are here to stay and many are moving on to other software that can hanlde the load.  Heck can LOR just tell us something is coming that will help before many other jump ship?

I have 38 LOR PC controllers and maybe 5000 rgb's for this years show.  So I know its going to be a bright year.post-8374-0-96493000-1366644628_thumb.jp

There is a patch that will enable to put more resources to LOR, which I installed may 10 days ago, when I load up my Seq. Editor with 18 Universes of RGB in it and another 12 LOR controllers, its night and day how much quicker it happens. So to Pile on what Will said, check with Andy, he showed me this, and its easy to do.,

That's what I am saying I have the patch and it still got me. 4 Gig have been assigned to LOR now !! Great software easy to use and would like to see it move forward. If it dont then I will make a choice.

Jeff

Did the SSD seem to help Jeff? Looking at building a show computer with I5 & SSD or an I7 quad, for our usage, what makes more sense to you?

In all fairness to LOR (and lord knows I've been a tough cretic) you were trying to paste multiple universes 87 times with auto undo recording still checked Jeff lol.

The patch does help drastically with memory management. It also goes to show a few tweaks by the software development team could really improve the softwares performance.

Implementing a higher memory allocation and or a 64 bit version so it can use as much memory as it needs plus adding Rgb channel management tools such as what is in Bobo's tools would get rid of 90% of everyone's issues with high channel counts.

Releasing the memory once you have pasted would help as well. Maybe have LOR force you to save the copy to a clipboard file if you try to copy more then 5 universes or so. That way it's saved to a file rather than sitting in memory. Or have it set to turn off auto undo recording automatically if you try to copy and paste a certain amount of channels with a warning box telling you this operation can't be undone are you sure? etc

Just my .02 cents. Regardless you can manage it yourself by keeping task manager open and watching the sequence editors memory usage. Once it starts to pile up anywhere near the limit it's time to save close and reopen LOR to release that memory or it's gonna keep giving you that out of memory error.

Being as fair as I can be Andy. I had so much checked, unckecked, restarted, rebooted and software working well until it overloaded and crashed. Heck maybe a warning before its to late. Maybe a 10g patch but heck I would crash that. BTW, I dont have full uni's as you know. I can see it down the road that I have 100 uni's and only 10 full. (LOL) . Task Manager stays open now !!   Think this is my 7th year with LOR and first year really sequencing. As a rookie losing that many changes can really upset the apple cart. I know its all my fault but this is 2013 !!!

Vikester,

SSD a must!! What I know about computer's would only fill this cup I have on my desk but learning real quick. It had been stated that the Fastest I5K can out do a standard I7 plus make sure to get a good video card as my onboard card has a issue with play back.

as for SSD, I use them exclusively for the OS, not data, I still use a HDD. when shopping for a SSD make sure to check its read and write speed, saving money on a SSD will not save you time. on my SSD I will create my sequences/videos/audio files all on the SSD then when completed move them to my HDD

Also when you have your SSD all configured, clone that disk to a HDD. I have had 3 SSD crashes in over a year and every time I had a full HDD backup to use then when the warrantied SSD drive comes back I copy all HDD data back to the SSD

if you want a free disk clone software that is easy to use and it can clone your hard drive while it is in use, Macrium Reflect

Edited by PMC

• The topic was locked