Light-O-Rama Forums

Who has both hobbies : Christmas decoration and gardening ?

miaskiewicz christian

I think it would be interesting to see a pic of our houses and gardens both with lights and flowers.

I start :

post-5719-0-98704800-1366159008_thumb.jp

post-5719-0-49159100-1366159355_thumb.jp

I'm currently biulding a new flowerbed and upgrading the lighting on the existing flowerbeds. I will post pics in about a month.

Just planted around 60 Gladiolous bulbs around beginning of March, just added two new large Rose bushes to the garden and looking for a few more of the same variety that puts out a very pleasant aroma to put in the "flower/pond" garden.  Have a lot of assorted Lillies that were also transplanted in the garden.  Also have a small pond, soon to be expanded a bit larger with a modified large waterfall fountain that feeds the basin, along with a waterfall birdbath that the birds just love, and a small waterfall fountain.  There are also 3 Hibiscus bushes, 6 Sunflowers that have sprouted and growing from seed,

Have photo's but will have to shrink them down to upload here, I think I'm already at my max limit fore uploads at the moment, so will have to find another avenue to post photo's of the areas around my home where all the plants reside.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my house on april 25th :

Really love your train. :)

Thanks!   I'm still working on leveling the tracks and adding in other goodies.  I'm still looking for some of my trains, have a nice long Pepsi Cola train including loco with sound, and have a quite few Coca~Cola Box cars, but no Coca~Cola loco, as yet. 

Then there is my Christmas Passenger Car set and one of the cars I added a sound system too that plays 16 Christmas Carols.   But now I'm thinking of modifying that car to house a small FM Radio and have it play my Christmas tunes via my FM Transmitter when the Christmas Display is in operation.

I think I have about 12+ different trains I could run at different times.  If I only had the space, I'd set up multiple tracks and run several at once.

And your Spring Garden is spectacular!  Very beautiful and very nicely done.  I love the look you came up with for it. :)

Looks like you have a nice spot to put in a Garden Railroad over in that oval area of your garden {left side, away from the birdbath fountain}.. 

Here's my house on april 25th :

Really love your train. :)

I like it, no lawn to mow!

Is that train battery or track powered? Dying to put a train in my back yard.

Hi Bob, currently track powered, but they can easily be adapted for Battery Power, or both if desired.  Just switch from one to the other if both were wanted.  I've been thinking of converting mine to both, that way if the battery gets weak, just switch to track power for a while to recharge the battery.  The battery option also comes with a port to charge it off track as well.

The sound system is track powered and has a battery that is charged as the train runs, but it too can be battery only powered if desired.  BTW: That Sound system cost more than a LOR CTB16PC Controller! :o

Or did at the time I bought it and I have several loco's with sound installed in them.  For what I spent on the sound systems {long before LOR, as these were purchased and installed in 1997-1998 time frame}, I could have bought around 15+ CTB16PC Controllers.  But pretty sure those weren't around when I first got into the Garden "G" Gauge Railroad hobby.

I also have O gauge for indoors when it's rainy and wet outside, but if my Garden locos were battery or a combo battery/electric they can be run in any weather conditions under the battery option.  Electric strictly for dry, clear weather conditions.

If I could afford it, I'd love to have one of the trains you can actually ride on and have it all the way around my house.   Now that would be so awesome. :)

WOW Trains Gardening and lights!.....Im just getting into lights but I started gardening last year but Ive been in 0 scale and 0-27 scale for 30+ years.....My trains are upstairs in my man cave.

Got about half of the veggie garden planted today. Still have more to plant yet.

Can't eat flowers, but yall  flowers do look nice.

Thomas

Ever sinse I got back from my Colorado training trip last weekend I've been bustin butt getting on my projects.   I'll be finishing construction the new corner flowerbed tomorrow morning.  I need to get the inside stained as soon as I can so I can start filling it with dirt.  Picked up more flowers today and planted.  Also snagged up on mulch sales today.

027_zps982f41c6.jpgConstruction of my new flowerbed is complete.  Now I'm working on getting it filled with dirt so I can get it planted.

027_zps982f41c6.jpgConstruction of my new flowerbed is complete.  Now I'm working on getting it filled with dirt so I can get it planted.

Looks great. You're going to have a bunch of people walking their dogs deciding to take a rest and sitting for awhile!

http://sdrv.ms/14lfzUu

And I wonder why my shoulder is worn out.  You could say that I have had a "hobby" with plants and gardening since the day I was born.  My father litterally left the hospital the day I was born to sign papers and start construction on our retail green house operation (Ross Nursery).  So, not only are my thumbs green, but green runs through my blood.  This is actually one of the smaller baskets we are known for.  By the first of June, a flower baskets like this one would be down to my waist when I put it on my head.  I started carrying them like that one day because they got so long when I put them on my shoulder I would step on the branches.  This gave me a few extra inches and did't hurt as bad as you might think.  I can't find them right now, but other pictures of me have been taken with a fuchsia basket in each hand held over my head like a waiter and their skirts hang down to my knees.  At the Beaverton Farmers market, I was almost like the fish tossing guys in Seattle.  Everytime I moved a basket on my head, people would stop me and ask for photos.  It's cool, however, no one ever showed my face...  maybe there was a reason for that.

Wow, talk about a PRIME "Easter Bonnet!" :P  :D

Edited by Orville

Guess I'm gonna have to take another vid of the train in the garden, now that the carpet roses, gladioli and other plants are starting to come up and blooming.

Ah, finally found a picture of one of our baskets that explains WHY I often carried them on my head.  This is a mid summer look, and that is "Professor" my Dad and the master of the green thumb.

http://sdrv.ms/14mv6Du

Really for my garden this is what I splurge on.  Big baskets in the Summer, Big lights in the winter.  I usually wait until the nursery closes for the season, then take the leftovers and put them up at my house.

If you want one in YOUR garden, nowhere in the US is too far.   Though we are in Oregon, we have customers who routinely drive each year to the nursery from: Washington, Idaho, Montana, and California among many other states beleive it or not.  We have even had baskets go to Mexico, and Canada. The farthest one of our fuchsia baskets went, that we knew of, was New York, on a plane no less, I was told it was gonna have its own plane seat. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

Edited by rainyoregonchristmas

Ah, finally found a picture of one of our baskets that explains WHY I often carried them on my head.  This is a mid summer look, and that is "Professor" my Dad and the master of the green thumb.

http://sdrv.ms/14mv6Du

Really for my garden this is what I splurge on.  Big baskets in the Summer, Big lights in the winter.  I usually wait until the nursery closes for the season, then take the leftovers and put them up at my house.

If you want one in YOUR garden, nowhere in the US is too far.   Though we are in Oregon, we have customers who routinely drive each year to the nursery from: Washington, Idaho, Montana, and California among many other states beleive it or not.  We have even had baskets go to Mexico, and Canada. The farthest one of our fuchsia baskets went, that we knew of, was New York, on a plane no less, I was told it was gonna have its own plane seat. 

-RainyOregonchriStmaS

~WOW~, that's one VERY LARGE Flower Basket!   Not to mention just gorgeous!    Very nice work!