Light-O-Rama Forums

Morph with solid fill behind

orchidman

I am tryhing to add an effect to my arches but it would be equaly relavent to fire sticks using CCPs.

I am trying to do a morph or run from one side of an arch to the other or for a fire stick from the bottom to the top.  As the morph runs from one side to the other, I want the back side lights to stay on.  When the morph gets to the other side the full arch would be on.  Then I want to bounce it back turning the lights off so that then the bounce finishes getting all the way back to the original start, all the lights would be off.  Can this be done in Superstar Morph?  It seems like this option should be do-able in a morph but I have not been able to find out how.

I have been able to brute force the effect by using scenes and chopping the string up into segments but this doesn't give a smooth run.

I can do the same effect in Sequencer with LED segments by creating 2 runs which gives a V and then filling in the middle with the solid color but I am trying to moved from LED segments to CCPs to give a smoother morph/run and also having the option of different colors.

Good question. It is possible to do but not obvious how you do it.

If the length of the morph is 50, do the following:

1) set "State 1" head length to be 50 (any value 50 or greater will work)

2) set "State 2" head length to 0

3) Set Main start, and end colors to Red. Also set the Tail start and end colors to Red

4) Set Tail Time Length to 1.00 seconds

5) On the time ruler, set start time to 1.00 seconds, set end time to 2.00 seconds

5) Add the morph and play it back

You should see a red morph run across the 50 pixels, then all the pixels will stay on for 1 second and they will all turn off at once.

This does the first part of what you described. Now do the following:

1) set "State 1" head length to 0

2) set "State 2" head length to 0

3) Leave Main start, and end colors at Red. Also leave the Tail start and end colors at Red

4) Leave Tail Time Length at 1.00 seconds

5) On the time ruler, set start time to 2.00 seconds, set end time to 3.00 seconds

5) Reverse the direction of the morph

6) Add the morph and play it back

You should see the effect you described.

I admit that this kind of effect is not easy to do with morphs. But the above is how you can do it.

I played with this some more, and the example above works, but it turns out that the length of time that the lights are all "on" has to be equal or greater than the length of the reverse morph or it doesn't work.

So there is no way in SuperStar to do what you describe for all cases. I would have to design a new effect in order to properly support what you want to do.

Brian,

Thanks for trying. 

I tried your suggestion and the first half works and the back side does stay red thru the morph and for one second longer. 

Adding the second second, I can not get the bounce to undo the red.  So I tried to change the second half to green and ran it.

I see the first second normal.  For the second second I see the green morph run back (reverse) against the red but as the morph runs across the arch, both before and after the morph run, all the pixels stay red.  Then at the end of the second second all the red drops out.

Could we be looking at a priority problem?  The second bounce back morph should be overriding the first morphs tail but it looks like it is not.

I'll just brute force it and use our old friend cut-n-paste from then on.

Gary

As you mentioned, the first morph works, but the second one doesn't always work. It only works in certain cases. Currently, when there are "channel collisions" SuperStar uses the command that is longest and throws out the shorter command. In some cases it does what you want, and some cases it does not.

In the next release I would like to add a Morph option that would allow you to do the second half of the effect properly. It shouldn't be too hard to add.

• 1 year later...

Brian, this is what i am wanting to do as well. the one second works great but when i try to extend it to say 3 seconds so i can get a longer effect the start line disappears before the bounce back can happen, how do i extend this morph? This is what i did...

On upper ruler i went from 1.00 to 3.00 seconds, i set the state 1 head length to 50 and the state 2 head length to 0, did the same directions you stated above for the return. What am i doing wrong?

I read through this thread, and it is me that is doing things wrong. My first instructions don't work, and I was mixed up on my first reply about it not always working.

Do the following and it should work:

3) Set Main start, and end colors to Red. Also set the Tail start and end colors to Red

4) Set Tail Time Length to 0.00 seconds

5) On the time ruler, set start time to 1.00 seconds, set end time to 2.00 seconds

You should see a red morph run across the 50 pixels, then all the pixels will stay on for 1 second and they will all turn off at once.

1) Leave "State 1" head length to 50

2) Leave "State 2" head length to 0

3) Leave Main start, and end colors at Red. Also leave the Tail start and end colors at Red

4) Leave Tail Time Length at 0.00 seconds

5) On the time ruler, set start time to 2.00 seconds, set end time to 3.00 seconds

6) Set "Show Entire Head at Start"

You should see the effect you described except it will flicker off between the two effects. This is a bug, but you can get around the bug by making the second morph start at 1.95 seconds so that the two morphs overlap, then there will be no flicker.

I read through this thread, and it is me that is doing things wrong. My first instructions don't work, and I was mixed up on my first reply about it not always working.

Do the following and it should work:

4) Set Tail Time Length to 0.00 seconds

1) Leave "State 1" head length to 50

2) Leave "State 2" head length to 0

4) Leave Tail Time Length at 0.00 seconds

6) Set "Show Entire Head at Start"

You should see the effect you described except it will flicker off between the two effects. This is a bug, but you can get around the bug by making the second morph start at 1.95 seconds so that the two morphs overlap, then there will be no flicker.

And that kids is why we have Brian here. Worked great, I was able to do the first morph for 2 seconds, and all i had to do to avoid the flicker was make the second morph start at 2:90, add .05 for every second and it works awesome.

P.S. Those instructions along with several others will go into my DIY binder for future reference. Cant wait to make my first sequence for a mega tree.

Edited by jerry72