Light-O-Rama Forums

Methods to the Madness

zeighty

This one reaches out to those of you with experience.

I now have my first 1602. I may have another before end of summer, but I have to plan for 16 channels and hope for 32.

My question:

Is there a method or thought process in designing the layout of your lights that follows some kind of logic? Everybody has a different spin to their designs, but I wondered if there is a "best practices" kind of thought process to get the most bang for the given number of channels - The "Wow!" factor.

Songs like Christmas Eve in Sarajevo and Tecno Amazing Grace are so impactful to me. Most videos of those I have seen are done with more than 32 channels... I want to do what I can with 16.

I apologize for getting lengthy in this post... 

Here is a part of my thought process - My house (ranch style with a garage) sits on the high side of the road about 35 feet from the road. Above the gutter line is not really visible from the road.

So In 2012 I had a four channel "canned" unit and divided the display up into two halves (Left and Right) and two features ( 20 ft tree with 80 count strand of LEDs and hedge surrounding the trunk with 80 count LED strand). It was very visually appealing for four channels. I had no control over the music or the sequences. It appears to be a pseudo-beat wizard kind of interpretation of the tracks (all instrumental). Now with 16 channels I have come up with so many ideas that I can't see the forest for trees.

I have no doubt that I will succeed in whatever I end up doing, but I thought that like most things you tackle, experienced mentors are invaluable.

Thanks in advance for you time and input.

I would say go to the LOR site and look at the 16 and 32 channel display videos.  Pay special attention to the winners over the years.  See what you like and don't like and break down how they are using the channels.   That should give you some good ideas and direction.

Your display is really about what YOU like and if you like lit up swinging monkeys then put some in.

I might also suggest reading the topic I started titled "How I Sequence".  There's lots of good tips there.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25472-how-i-sequence/

I agree with Brian, also in 2007 I had 16 channels and I was very happy with what I did with those 16 channels and nobody ever complained, I kinda wished I stayed at 16 channels my sequences looked better

I agree with Brian, also in 2007 I had 16 channels and I was very happy with what I did with those 16 channels and nobody ever complained, I kinda wished I stayed at 16 channels my sequences looked better

I experimented with using only parts of my display for some songs.  I sometimes produce sequences where some of my channels don't come on at all. Silent Night doesn't need all 48 channels lit up.

Sometimes less is more. It's about art.  And making people smile. It's not a contest to see who has the most light bulbs.  (Disney wins anyway.

http://youtu.be/_N0zBpxLIOE)

Edited by bobschm