Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR saved my credit

missieod

I bought controllers at the March Mad Grab sale.  LOR tried to charge my card on Friday and it was declined.  So they sent me an email to let me know...

Thank goodness they did it so quickly.  Apparently someone tried to access mine and my husbands bank account Friday and luckily the bank realized it wasn't us.  Unfortunately, they said that the person had most of my husbands personal information.  They froze all of our accounts (checking, savings, credit cards, online access).   They tried to call to inform us but his phone has been temporarily shut off because he is deployed for a year.  I wouldn't have known until I tried to go grocery shopping today since I didn't have anywhere else to go spend money this weekend.

That night I signed up for Lifelock just to be safe.  Thank goodness I did because I woke up this morning to find 3 alerts that someone had tried to open credit cards with my husbands information.  Not only could this hurt us badly financially, we both have clearances and financial trouble is cause to revoke a clearance, which could result in us losing our jobs.

So thank you LOR for your prompt action.  If it hadn't been for that, my husband and I could have been in a world of trouble. 

And the best part is, I get to tell my hubbie that my LOR addiction saved our credit and therefore I must continue to buy more just to make sure we stay safe!   In fact, I think once they unfreeze my account, I'll have to make a purchase just to be sure nothing like this happened again. :D

Thanks to you and your husband for keeping our nation free...

Now...if we could only get the politicians to do the same thing!!

Now...if we could only get the politicians to do the same thing!!

Oh, you don't even want to get me started on that! 

And you're welcome.  I wish most days I was still in, I loved serving. 

using credit cards online is really getting bad. I have used paypal for long as I can remember.One thing we also do is use prepaid cards online and so far no issues with either.as Jim said thanks to you and all the folks in the armed forces!!!!

I hope it was just a credit card thing- the bank says they had almost all of my husband's personal information.  With our bank, before you even get to ask your question, we're asked our member number, phone password, address, phone number, what year either I retired and what service or what service and branch he is and then we are finally allowed to talk about the accounts. 

So sadly, I'm thinking it is someone we know.  There is someone I suspect, but I need to talk to the bank investigators tomorrow.

That being said, though, I am going to get one of the pre-paid green dot cards to do all of my online purchases from now on.  And definitely keeping our lifelock account.

This also happened during the worst week I've had since my husband left.  It was only my second week of work at my new job and it was absolutely crazy.  I was working 12 hours a day.  I also had to go to the doctor and found out I probably tore my rotator cuff so I've been in a sling all week.  So by Friday night I thought the week from heck was all over. Boy was I wrong!  :lol:

If you catch the culprit, send him to the front lines in front of our troops!  Just sayin, NOBODY should mess with our VETs!  :D

Thank you for your service and best of luck!

I live in the St. Louis Missouri area, the local supermarket chain -- Schnucks -- has had a lot of trouble lately with stolen credit card information.  It has been in the newspaper.    It seems that the somehow hackers got in somewhere in the credit card processing chain and stole lots of credit card info.  The really scary thing is that they don't seem to know where the breach occurred or who's information was taken. 

Here is an article that talks about it.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/schnucks-breach-will-likely-cost-millions/article_a1cbd2d9-7105-5bfe-8d97-07e2d1381bab.html

Also, Thanks for helping to keep us safe!

Jerry

I bought controllers at the March Mad Grab sale.  LOR tried to charge my card on Friday and it was declined.  So they sent me an email to let me know...

Thank goodness they did it so quickly.  Apparently someone tried to access mine and my husbands bank account Friday and luckily the bank realized it wasn't us.  Unfortunately, they said that the person had most of my husbands personal information.  They froze all of our accounts (checking, savings, credit cards, online access).   They tried to call to inform us but his phone has been temporarily shut off because he is deployed for a year.  I wouldn't have known until I tried to go grocery shopping today since I didn't have anywhere else to go spend money this weekend.

That night I signed up for Lifelock just to be safe.  Thank goodness I did because I woke up this morning to find 3 alerts that someone had tried to open credit cards with my husbands information.  Not only could this hurt us badly financially, we both have clearances and financial trouble is cause to revoke a clearance, which could result in us losing our jobs.

So thank you LOR for your prompt action.  If it hadn't been for that, my husband and I could have been in a world of trouble. 

And the best part is, I get to tell my hubbie that my LOR addiction saved our credit and therefore I must continue to buy more just to make sure we stay safe!   In fact, I think once they unfreeze my account, I'll have to make a purchase just to be sure nothing like this happened again. :D

Not sure if this working in the states but when my wives CC was used the company caught it and we were out no money. They told us to call the credit reporting company and do something so now when we apply for credit they have to make sure it is us. Even for something like a phone we have to answer a bunch of questions so they know it is us.

Thanks to my wife holding a daily ritual of checking our CC. This evening she noted that we were 20 bucks over the limit. Seems that there was two 374.00 Charges to a "Midland AMC tic" which is a concert house in Kansas City. I live on the east side of MO and dont go over to the west side but once in a blue moon and its been some years. I also do not shop at Schucks so my CC was not ripped off from there. And there is only one place I do business in the K.C. on line. Now it still could be someone else. But suspect that the person who tried to rip me off is from the K.C. area.

Anyone else had CC fraud that the charge was to somewhere in the K.C. area?

I did notify all of the reporting agencies.  It seemed like it was a hassle, both with them and others, reporting my husband's ID theft.  I had to fax the power of attorney and a couple of them told me I couldn't call back for 24-48 hours so they could process it.  I ended up taking the entire day off of work to get this and my bank stuff done.

But my accounts are now good to go, we are secure as we can be, and that's the best we can do.  It doesn't appear whoever called has our CC or debit numbers.  There were no unauthorized charges.  Whoever did this called the bank thru a relay service and tried to access the account.  They knew some of my husband's info, but not his social security number or any of the pins/passwords, so that is a little comforting.

Thanks to everyone's responses.  The support for the military on this site is overwhelming and it is very much appreciated. 

I also don't have a rotator cuff tear, it's a labrum tear.  Good news there.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to do my christmas lights this year if it was my rotator cuff.  I'll still need to be careful, but I can pull it off.  So far a much better week!

I did notify all of the reporting agencies.  It seemed like it was a hassle, both with them and others, reporting my husband's ID theft.  I had to fax the power of attorney and a couple of them told me I couldn't call back for 24-48 hours so they could process it.  I ended up taking the entire day off of work to get this and my bank stuff done.

But my accounts are now good to go, we are secure as we can be, and that's the best we can do.  It doesn't appear whoever called has our CC or debit numbers.  There were no unauthorized charges.  Whoever did this called the bank thru a relay service and tried to access the account.  They knew some of my husband's info, but not his social security number or any of the pins/passwords, so that is a little comforting.

Thanks to everyone's responses.  The support for the military on this site is overwhelming and it is very much appreciated. 

I also don't have a rotator cuff tear, it's a labrum tear.  Good news there.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to do my christmas lights this year if it was my rotator cuff.  I'll still need to be careful, but I can pull it off.  So far a much better week!

Good glad to hear it!!!

• The topic was locked