Light-O-Rama Forums

Best type of light for Singing faces? Rope? Led? Incan string?

lowepg

Im starting to build my Singing Jack-o-lanterns for this Fall. Im going to use Wire Frame D'lites metal frames...

They are 48" x 48"

Here's the lengths I need for the various channels

top eyes: 24" (x2) = 48"

bottom eyelids 17" (x2) = 36"

"O" mouth = 32"

"E" mouth = 103"

top lip = 52"

middle lip = 65"

bottom lip -= 75"

I'm building 4 of these, so I assumed buying a roll of amber rope light would be the most economical?

But what kind? The 3/8" LED rope i looked at (1000bulbs.com) showed minimum cut lengths of 60" for the led rope, 18" for incand's.

With LED seems like I'd be generating a LOT of waste with those min cut lengths?

Also, I'm estimating about $9/rope for the ac connector.... is building these myself really going to save me $$$?

lastly, I can get the frames in black or white? Since Ill be mounting them in front of 2nd story windows (lol- not sure how quite yet), is there a preferred frame color?

Edited by lowepg

I'm in the same boat. I am leaning toward incand's myself. Thought about light strings, but I would have to zip tie both sides of the lights to get them about 1 inch apart. Lots of time and zip ties. Incand. rope lights I can use spt1 cords in lieu of the LED power cords for anywhere from $5.11 to $15.00 each.

So as of now. I'm still up in the air on this. 

I'm in the same boat. I am leaning toward incand's myself. Thought about light strings, but I would have to zip tie both sides of the lights to get them about 1 inch apart. Lots of time and zip ties. Incand. rope lights I can use spt1 cords in lieu of the LED power cords for anywhere from $5.11 to $15.00 each.

So as of now. I'm still up in the air on this. 

Are you making your frames or buying them?

Also, have you found a good source for the rope lights?

IMO, you might be better off using LED string lights

#1   string of lights can be adjusted closer or farther spacing as needed on each element to get the most out of a string

#2   you can buy wire frame clips that saves tons of time installing lights as compared to zip tieing rope light & strings come in as little as 20,35,50,100 count much easier to manuver around you element than rope light

#3  with rope light you have to cover up the areas that is not used and it really makes for a clunky looking setup, for wire frames you really need a custom frame with your elements sized to the cut lenghts for the rope light to look good

The reason I'm saying this is because I did Rope Light first on my wire frames and then seeing that it just didn't look like I wanted I actually threw them away and got string lights.....Maybe I'm over fussy but I thought you might like to know my experience with them 

You are on to something. I never even thought of clips. I am having Wire Frame D'lites build the frames. He will be using 1/4" bar. I guess I'll get to looking for clips that will fit 1/4" bar.

Thanks

You are on to something. I never even thought of clips. I am having Wire Frame D'lites build the frames. He will be using 1/4" bar. I guess I'll get to looking for clips that will fit 1/4" bar.

Thanks

christmas-leds.com   has them.......FYI they also carry colored clips the go over your bulb so you could just buy white bulbs and put color clips on the wire frame where you might want a specific color to be.

IMO, you might be better off using LED string lights

#1   string of lights can be adjusted closer or farther spacing as needed on each element to get the most out of a string

#2   you can buy wire frame clips that saves tons of time installing lights as compared to zip tieing rope light & strings come in as little as 20,35,50,100 count much easier to manuver around you element than rope light

#3  with rope light you have to cover up the areas that is not used and it really makes for a clunky looking setup, for wire frames you really need a custom frame with your elements sized to the cut lenghts for the rope light to look good

The reason I'm saying this is because I did Rope Light first on my wire frames and then seeing that it just didn't look like I wanted I actually threw them away and got string lights.....Maybe I'm over fussy but I thought you might like to know my experience with them 

I also like this idea....

but are you talking about just normal m5 led bulb strings? I guess I'm having trouble visualizing those looking "linear" enough on the wire frames- especially in some of the more tight corners/angles?

Edited by lowepg

I also like this idea....

but are you talking about just normal m5 led bulb strings? I guess I'm having trouble visualizing those looking "linear" enough on the wire frames- especially in some of the more tight corners/angles?

I used M6 bulb ....If you look on their website you might get a better idea of how they look.....but from viewing from the street they look very linear

I also forgot to mention in my previous post another problem with rope light is they can have a tendency to have lights go out in the middle of the strand ........and IMO when that happens on a wire frame in the middle of the season your really screwed.

I'll also look for a Pic of my wire frame Manger from Christmas and post it for you to see if you like the look

Edited by gmac

I used M6 bulb ....If you look on their website you might get a better idea of how they look.....but from viewing from the street they look very linear

I also forgot to mention in my previous post another problem with rope light is they can have a tendency to have lights go out in the middle of the strand ........and IMO when that happens on a wire frame in the middle of the season your really screwed.

I'll also look for a Pic of my wire frame Manger from Christmas and post it for you to see if you like the look

Yes- thank you- a picture would be fantastic!

So, Im looking on their site- and assuming you are referring to the "wire frame lights"? Hmmm... I guess that name should tell me something about their usefulness :-)

One other question-

When you are using string lights, how close are you attaching them? I think rope lights have an LED every inch- are you then attaching them one bulb/inch?

I can see a big shape (without a lot of definition) not requiring such tight spacing, but for the singing faces, there's a lot of detail in the mouths....

One other question-

When you are using string lights, how close are you attaching them? I think rope lights have an LED every inch- are you then attaching them one bulb/inch?

I can see a big shape (without a lot of definition) not requiring such tight spacing, but for the singing faces, there's a lot of detail in the mouths....

Using M6 light with the color combo clips I'd say the spacing is approx 1 1/2 to 2" ( you can adjust the spacing to your preference using them).......I also did a 4x4' singiing pumpkin a few years back, I'll try and find that pic also to post with the manger so you could see if you like the look.

I found another place for light clip.

Christmas light source.com

They also have lights that come with clips made on them. With incond. I will be able to cut them to the length I need. Can't do that to LED's from what I understand.

Thanks

If you are coming to SLAM this year, we are planning to have a demo regarding wireframes.  One of the singing Christmas Tree's from Wireframe Delights www.wireframedlites.com will be used for the demo.  The lady that is doing the demo also uses the clips from www.Christmas-Leds.com.  I have seen some wireframes that she has done in the past, and they look teriffic.

Check out this thread.  http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26443-st-louis-meetup-saturday-june-8th/

Jerry

LORisAwsome:

I'm wanting too attend the slam, but I can't make any long term plans. I don't drive anymore and I would have to have the Queen drive for me, but she hasn't told me what plans she has. And for some reason, her plans take priority over mine. LOL!!!

Glad she hasn't found this website to be able to read my posts, or I guess there would be some controllers up for sale.As being a widow, she won't set things up. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I will be able to come, but it might be two weeks ahead of the slam before I know if I can go. I don't know if there is a cut off date or not.

Thanks

LORisAwsome:

I'm wanting too attend the slam, but I can't make any long term plans. I don't drive anymore and I would have to have the Queen drive for me, but she hasn't told me what plans she has. And for some reason, her plans take priority over mine. LOL!!!

Glad she hasn't found this website to be able to read my posts, or I guess there would be some controllers up for sale.As being a widow, she won't set things up. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope I will be able to come, but it might be two weeks ahead of the slam before I know if I can go. I don't know if there is a cut off date or not.

Thanks

There is no cut off date.  We would love to meet you.

Jerry

I ordered a singing tree from holiday coro, how hard is it to wire up the lights? Thanks

are you going rope lights or standard lights?  I zip tied rope lights to mine.

I ordered a singing tree from holiday coro, how hard is it to wire up the lights? Thanks

did you order just 1 tree or all 4?