Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it possible to setup multiple Enttec Pro dongles in S3 3.9.0?

dmoore

I would like to setup two Enttec Pro dongles in LOR S3 3.9.0.  When I select the drop down under Advanced Network Preferences, S3 will allow me to indicate more than one Enttec DMX USB Pro (for protocol) and ENTTEPRO as the adapter type but when I attempt to save it, it says "DMX Adapter Conflict", " Two DMX universes are using the same adapter". 

There is no allotment for selecting the device ID/Port (this seemed to be the case in older versions of S3), thus it doesn't seem possible at this time.  Am I missing something or is it not possible to setup two universes over two Enttec Pro dongles at the same time?

I've used different adapters that are Enttec Pro compatible and they always show up as unique IDs in the left column, like A600dURB.

I wonder if having the same Network ID, "ENTTEPRO" in more than one location is confusing S3.

Try using a different brand of dongle in the second USB port and see what happens.

Edited by Ken Benedict

I would like to setup two Enttec Pro dongles in LOR S3 3.9.0.  When I select the drop down under Advanced Network Preferences, S3 will allow me to indicate more than one Enttec DMX USB Pro (for protocol) and ENTTEPRO as the adapter type but when I attempt to save it, it says "DMX Adapter Conflict", " Two DMX universes are using the same adapter". 

There is no allotment for selecting the device ID/Port (this seemed to be the case in older versions of S3), thus it doesn't seem possible at this time.  Am I missing something or is it not possible to setup two universes over two Enttec Pro dongles at the same time?

First, yes, you can have more than one ENTTEC Pro.

There is no place in the Network Preferences program to enter "the adapter type".  There is a place to enter the adapter.  It should be identified by a unique ID, not by something like "ENTTEPRO".  This ID is something that is assigned to the chip itself; LOR has nothing to do with it.  For example, my ENTTEC Pro has the ID "EN090884".

Are these actually ENTTEC Pro devices, or are they something that is supposed to emulate the ENTTEC Pro?

I think David is using one of these dongles from HolidayCoro.

They might have a fixed internal name that makes all the names the same; unlike others which are usually tied to a serial number, making them unique.

Edited by Ken Benedict

Looking at the help videos on the HolidayCoro site, their DMX dongles seem to identify themselves as "ENTTEPRO" rather than each having a unique serial number.

It is interesting to note in the FAQ section about the adaptor that "Due to limits within LOR S3, it is not possible to connect more than one Enttec DMX output dongle and have output. This is not a limit of any dongle but of the software itself."

This is clearly wrong, and would seem to be a feature of the cheap "Entec Pro compatible" adaptors that they are selling that all give the same ID, not a problem with LOR S3. I guess you get what you pay for!

Regards,

Alan.

Yeahhh... just to be 100% clear, it is possible to connect more than one ENTTEC DMX output dongle and have output.  LOR doesn't have this problem with ENTTECs.  These are not ENTTECs.

The issue that LOR has with these adapters may or may not be a "limit" of LOR, but it's definitely not correct to say that LOR has this problem with ENTTECs.

I don't mean to pile on, and again, it's certainly at least possible that it could be a "limit" of LOR (in that perhaps there's some other way that LOR could be dealing with these adapters uniquely other than through their serial numbers).  I just don't want anyone to get the mistaken impression that LOR doesn't work with more than one ENTTEC.

Just tried two ENTTEC pro on S3 - they both show up and I can assign different Universes.

Problem might really be the unique id - S3 is mapping the universe to the ID string which then allows to move the show to a different computer using the same dongles. The only other identifier for a USB device would be the port GUID - and that is changing between different computers and even between different USB ports on the same computer making it impossible to stay in sync. Every time you change the USB port you would have to re-configure your universes.

I agree. The only sensible way seems to be mapping the universe to the unique ID of the adaptor (as per LOR), otherwise the assignment of universe to adaptor could well be different each time the PC is powered up.

Regards,

Alan.

Edited by Alan C

It turns out the solution is actually pretty simple.  The Enttec units just use the standard FTDI
assigned random names which show-up when accessed at the device level (as
opposed to the port level like applications such as xLights use).  It appears that when two independent devices
have the same name, they will not appear in LOR S3 and you'll need to update
the name of the ActiDongle to reflect the unique name.  Here is a video that explains the process:

So, this resolves the problem with multiple ActiDongles when used with LOR S3.

Thanks,

David

I have 2 of these Actidongles from HolidayCoro and at first couldn't get them to work, but David did come up with a solution that works well. Within 5 minutes LOR S3 and the Actidongles are talking to each other just fine!

Thanks David! :)

Glad you were able to get it working ok - sorry for the delay in producing a solution. 

I'm also sorry for the confusion on where the responsible party was - the initial information pointed in that direction.  Glad to see we got it all straightened out.

David

Thanks David for the information link!   I wish the HolidayCoro Help Desk had said something about this to me as I spoke to them for about 40min late last week.  They're the ones who recommended I go E1.31 in lieu of the acti-dongle.

Nice Job.  

Edited by Bizywk

Thanks David for the information link!   I wish the HolidayCoro Help Desk had said something about this to me as I spoke to them for about 40min late last week.  They're the ones who recommended I go E1.31 in lieu of the acti-dongle.

Nice Job.  

Yes, I still think that for those that need DMX universes in the form of RS-485 output, I feel items like the J1SYS ECG-DR4 are better choices for DMX generation as opposed to 2-3+ dongles.