Light-O-Rama Forums

terminator

john fulkerson

i might have missed this but at the end of my network on my ccr tree should i put a terminator on the last controller i seem to have a bit of ghosting going on when i have a lot of graphics going on in a sequence

I've never personally heard of needing a terminator with CCRs.  But then, there's lots of things I've never heard of.

How many CCRs?  How many networks?  What network speed(s)?  How is your PC equipped?  Are you SURE your comm cables are in tip-top shape?

Edited by George Simmons

12 ccr was on 2 networks now I have them on 3 networks  4 ccr each and no lag or ghosting  I don't know how to set them for super speed or if they will handle that

Terminators are usually used at the end of a DMX cable run to avoid electronic reflections from a stub end.

I don't think they are needed on an LOR network.

Maybe you're referring to a "ghost light" or "phantom light" or the popular "snubber" (technically incorrect, but seems ingrained in LOR lore).

Some people have used a Glade Air Freshener at the end of a power string to bleed off power without any illumination.

Yes, there are jokes about that, but it works.

Some people have used a dark C9 bulb and wrapped it in electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.

If you're trying to use LOR's Super Speed, then all devices on that LOR network need to be set to that speed.

I've used 12 CCRs on 2 networks and and 15 on 3. In the busy parts of the sequences, it would cause lag and then fire seconds later which I guess caused a ghosting effect. This would also affect non-CCD controllers (AC, DC, ect) causing them to mis-fire at the correct time. The busy parts is when I would use something like the SS instant seq and a bunch if different effects would run at the same time. This was last year when the 500K speed was not avail. Not sure if this would fix that, but read the communication is much faster. However my other controllers are not G3 and 500K doesn't work so I probably separate these on their own network.

I would agree with Kens statement and term on a controller would be a DMX thing...which I used. Glade and snubbers from Santas I always thought had to do with LEDs not fading correctly or flickering on AC controllers but with G2 controllers. The G3 controllers had something built-in (techie term) that resolves these issues.

E1.31-->Switch-->Bridge-->DMX.

Does a terminator need to be used at the end of this DMX line?

E1.31-->Switch-->Bridge-->DMX.

Does a terminator need to be used at the end of this DMX line?

A terminator always needs to be used at the end of every DMX line. The reason LOR can work without terminators is because it runs at a slower bit rate than DMX.

thanks for the info steven

the terminator inside the cat 5 looks great and nobody would ever see or figure it out

• The topic was locked