Light-O-Rama Forums

VMWare?

ToddH

Can the LOR software be ran not only for testing but for live shows through VMWare? (virtual machines)

If so, for the hardware to communicate to the VM do you have to pre-configure the NIC card on the VM or any other special settings?

Thanks

Hmmm that's a good question .... I'm not to knowledgeable when it comes to the LOR software but as far as VM goes it SHOULD be able to run it. I'm assuming that you are running a non-doz OS and then running Doz on the VM platform.

If this is the case in theory it should be able to work as long as you have your VM and windows configured correctly to include the drivers. I can already see a few issues that you may run into.

- Which VM software you are using. I guess you would need to make sure that it supports all software and hardware as regular windows OS would.

- As far as configuring your NIC, I know when i use BackTrack i dont have to do anything to it, its picked up and ready for use. Again i would say it depends on what VM you are using.

- Depending on your machine. It takes a lot of system resources to run VM, essentially your running two OS's at one time, this may cause a huge lag in your sequencing and eventually kill it due to the amount of resources being used by your machine

As i said before, I'm no expert ... this is just what came to mind. (Hoped it help in some kind of way)

Edited by Para

I was planning on using a Server here at work that I am retiring to run the host off off and VM from there. I am running some tests and seeing how well things work. Reason I like this idea is that I can have a VMTest, Prod, etc.. I can watch a live show with prod, use the test to tweak things and then save it as a template and within 20min have a new VM up and running with all the bells an whistles ready to go...good to know if i have a failure on a machine i can spin another one up with little to no effort. . THe main thing is to make sure that the program shows are on the same datastore as the host server.

I don't see it being an issue but one never knows...

Can the LOR software be ran not only for testing but for live shows through VMWare? (virtual machines)

If so, for the hardware to communicate to the VM do you have to pre-configure the NIC card on the VM or any other special settings?

Thanks

I'm not a VMWare expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, unless your running DMX over Ethernet, you wouldn't need to configure the network card. I've not added a USB port to a VM before, but I would suspect it's fairly simple.

That said, I don't know why it wouldn't work (but can't say that it would.)

• 4 weeks later...

I do a lot with VMware - lor runs fine.

You can do DMD over Ethernet, or you could install a lor USB adapter , or you can pass a serial port to the vm.

VMware is designed to let some very busy software co-exist on one box.

I have to say I get the desire for 2 machines , I really don't see a practical need for anything beyond that.

The chances that your brand new win7 vm suddenly crashes and becomes unusable is slim to none.

IF something is going belly up , it usually the 5 or 10 yr old laptop someone tried to salvage into s show pc, and the ram, pus or hdd crashed.

One vm to play and one to run the show is plenty -keep an extra copy of your show files, beyond that is just overkill

• 1 month later...

I do a lot with VMware - lor runs fine.

You can do DMD over Ethernet, or you could install a lor USB adapter , or you can pass a serial port to the vm.

VMware is designed to let some very busy software co-exist on one box.

I have to say I get the desire for 2 machines , I really don't see a practical need for anything beyond that.

The chances that your brand new win7 vm suddenly crashes and becomes unusable is slim to none.

IF something is going belly up , it usually the 5 or 10 yr old laptop someone tried to salvage into s show pc, and the ram, pus or hdd crashed.

One vm to play and one to run the show is plenty -keep an extra copy of your show files, beyond that is just overkill

I  to do a lot with VMware - over 160 servers/workstations on a daily basis, operating on 7 hosts a total of 32 cores - big boy tools. 

Our experience on products like Player and Vm Server (affordable in our home enviornment) ,  with ports is problem- matic. The challange I had 16 months ago when trying to virtualize my machine was sync with audio and port output, could never keep them together. The USB port always lagged.  How have you over come this issue?