Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone using X10

FarrOut

With or without LOR software.

I've been using 10 for years on my 'static' displays.

I don't like going out at night to turn everything off.

Apparently there is a way to control X10 through 

LOR software, 

Thanks

Dennis

I am, both for the display and otherwise.

LOR has extremely limited X10 support that hasn't been substantially updated since 2003.  That means that to get it to work, you need an old CM11A interface which has been hard to find for at least 5 years (out of production for longer than that) and requires a serial port or adapter. 

I got tired of limping around that limitation so I upgraded to a CM15A interface, and now use .bat scripts that are associated with my startup and shutdown sequences to handle the X10 in my display.  Since I only use X10 to turn things on for the night, and turn them back off at the end, this works fine. 

Outside of the display, I use ActiveHome Pro to run landscape lighting, fountains, and some security lighting.

I used it to turn my blow ups on and off.

I used (Ithink it was called Active Home) to control the times.

My interface (ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface ) died and they don't make it any more so I used one of their timers.

Wow they they are getting the interfaces back in stock!

I still use X10 for my inflatables, static lighting, my wireframe bells (which have their own sequence controller) and my FM Transmitter.

I did find the CM11A controller on Ebay (been a couple of years now) and have been using it ever since.

Occasionally, something will trip a controller at night and I'll wake up to an inflatable standing tall but 99% of the time it works every time.

Now I don't have leave anything on or even be here for the display to completely start on its own.

Bob

PS. My use of X10 is Tim's fault :D

Edited by bob_moody

I have been using X10 in my home for several years and will be using an X10 mini-timer (MT13A) to control my inflatables this year.  I have an X10 switch (Leviton 6291-WI) rated for motor loads wired in-line before the outside receptacle and have been using it to turn my roof heat tapes on & off as needed from inside the home for years.  The tabletop timer simply plugs in to any receptacle and can be packed away with other stuff at the end of the season.  One thing I'd like to add to the discussion is this: while still very useful for a lot of things, X10 is an older & somewhat dated technology and can be frustrating to troubleshoot if things start turning themselves on/off for no reason.  Most of the time this is caused by electrical noise in the homes wiring from the ever-increasing use of CFL lamps.  In my experience, a combination signal bridge and noise filter (Leviton 6284) is becoming almost mandatory in today's installations to keep X10 running trouble-free.

I have been using X10 in my home for several years and will be using an X10 mini-timer (MT13A) to control my inflatables this year.  I have an X10 switch (Leviton 6291-WI) rated for motor loads wired in-line before the outside receptacle and have been using it to turn my roof heat tapes on & off as needed from inside the home for years.  The tabletop timer simply plugs in to any receptacle and can be packed away with other stuff at the end of the season.  One thing I'd like to add to the discussion is this: while still very useful for a lot of things, X10 is an older & somewhat dated technology and can be frustrating to troubleshoot if things start turning themselves on/off for no reason.  Most of the time this is caused by electrical noise in the homes wiring from the ever-increasing use of CFL lamps.  In my experience, a combination signal bridge and noise filter (Leviton 6284) is becoming almost mandatory in today's installations to keep X10 running trouble-free.

Or caused by your neighbour !

My Neighbour bought some of the cameras and decided to use them to spy on us while we were in our yard!

I had a receiver and could see what they could see and I was able to turn their camera off and on and move it.

Once they saw it looking into their house the camera came down :)

Or caused by your neighbour !

My Neighbour bought some of the cameras and decided to use them to spy on us while we were in our yard!

I had a receiver and could see what they could see and I was able to turn their camera off and on and move it.

Once they saw it looking into their house the camera came down :)

That's so true!  If you're on the same utility transformer, it's only a simple matter of bouncing through house letter codes until you find the one that allows access to the neighbor's devices.

I have upgraded almost all of my X10 equipment to Insteon.  I use an ISY-99i to control everything, which can receive an X10 signal from LOR. Actually, I had trouble getting the X10 signal through the house wiring, so I bought an XTBR booster, which works very well.

Since my show computer is an old one with a parallel port, I use a parallel port relay board to turn the transmitter and speaker amplifier on and off. I have them powered from the battery on the UPS, which gives clean power, and the audio will still work if the power fails.

• The topic was locked